Starting Necrons! Need a Little Help! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starting Necrons! Need a Little Help!

Hi People! ive recentley decided to start a necron army or up to around 2000pts? i havent got the codex yet but im getting that tommorow.

If anyone has any advice? weather it be cool converseions? army lists? colour schemes anyhing! it would all be appriciated!

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x5)

We've all been here. I asked the same question when I got my army and the response I got alot of feedback. Things like:

1) To determine the painting scheme of your army look at pictures of other armies and find what you like. Easy, pretty, ceramic, metallic, etc. It's your army and you have to be proud of how they look (or if you want easy there's lots of fast methods too, just not my style)
    2) Conversions, there's an AWSOME post on how to make immortals from warriors. I made my full squad for FAR less than the $100 it would have cost me! You can make flayed ones this way too, but flayed ones aren't that great for my style (some like them) but just an FYI. Also flayed ones are 2 per blister so they're more reasonable to buy the normal squad if you wanted. (Conversion URL)
    3) As for army lists, just remember phase out is going to be something to watch for. I followed someone's advice and went with roughly 10 warriors per 500pts (if it's a 500 pt game though your forced the 2 squad rule, but that's an exception). In fact, most people recommend to proxy and play some games without buying models to determine what you like (suppose you need a codex here).
    4) As for most valuable units? Tons of people argue destroyers are great, immortals are great, the monolith is great, and in the right hands a deceiver can be nasty to keep your enemies at range. Honestly everything is good in the right hands. Depends on your play style, army build, how cheesy you wanted to go (15 destroyers, 3 monoliths, etc). I would definitely make sure you have a lord with a res orb since that's pretty typical build for a lord.
    5) Lastly, have fun. Unless you're in it for tournament wins over and over again. Play with it, mix it up a little (which most argue the necrons are the most limited army there is! Not much customization).

If I missed anything...I'm sure others will fill in the gaps.
    Last edited by Dark Trainer; July 8th, 2008 at 16:38.
    "There is only do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Hi there, and welcome to the world of the shiny metal men. Polish up your best Gov. Schwarzenegger impression and let's get started!

The Necrons are basically as simple or as complex as you want to make them, on every level possible.

As to list composition, you can do a "basic" army composed of little more than warriors and a lord, or you can mix and match multiple unit types for a truly diverse collection. There are certain "autopilot" units that work well in almost any army, or you can fill your army with units that can (and indeed must) work together in intricate strategies to accomplish goals. You can build a horde of marching warriors and swarms of metal insects, or instead have a small contingent of "regular" troops and lead them with living gods and up to nine(!) monstrous creatures. You can mow the enemy down with energy weapons (a favorite!), use some nasty slice-and-dice close combat units to take the fight to them, or build an army designed to cut down the opponent's morale, weakening them before a shot is even fired (known as the ever-popular "fear" list). More than many other armies out there, the Necrons have the versatility to accommodate most playing styles.

Paint schemes are the same way. Most of the models have little intricate detail compared to, say, the Sisters of Battle or Vostroyans, so painting them can be very simple. The codex, however, shows a HUGE variety of different styles and combinations, showing that they can be very intricate if you want them to be.

Finally, there are lots of conversion possibilities out there. Many of them involve saving money (1 box of warriors + plasticard + greenstuff = 6 immortals and 6 flayed ones = WIN!), but others involve "dressing up" the standard models. Some people prefer to scratch-build lords, which leads to all sorts of interesting builds. Just look around and you'll see some great examples.

EDIT: Also be sure to check out the sticky posts, along with the army list subforum. They'll give you a lot of advice and suggestions to get you started.

Good luck, and welcome to the great harvest! None shall oppose us! *maniacal cackle*
    Last edited by Canew; July 8th, 2008 at 17:42.
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

Get a battleforce. Then a Lord (foot or destroyer your preference). This will give you a strong core to your army of warriors, along with some scarabs and destroyers for support roles.

Once you have the battleforce, you can look at what other units you find interesting.

ALSO decide on what play style you would like to start with. Necrons are a lot more versatile then people think and can adapt to almost any roll you desire.

I personally suggest AGAINST building a straight 2k army before you have a feel for how the different units work, if you end up with something that doesn't work for you, there's a potential you'd have to spend far more money than you originally planned on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow thans, nice conversion btw! they look awsome! im gunna have to try that =) thanks for ure help!

Hahaha thankyou! dont worry! the harvesting of souls has already begun! i playing my friend's nids earlier with a box of warriors, i wooooopppeddd them! i love um already! oh yeh! those conversion ideas sounds great thanks!

Ok thankyou! ive got one box of warriors already and the coeex so if i bought the battleforce and a lord on top of that wud that be a good starter?
    Last edited by Canew; July 8th, 2008 at 22:50.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

CHiiiiil on the multiposts, if ya wanna post again hit the "edit button and just add it in.

Box of warriors and a lord i good, that way you can take half the battleforce models and turn them into immortals + flayed ones.
    Last edited by Alzer; July 8th, 2008 at 22:26.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Alzer View Post
    CHiiiiil on the multiposts, if ya wanna post again hit the "edit button and just add it in.

Box of warriors and a lord i good, that way you can take half the battleforce models and turn them into immortals + flayed ones.
    Way ahead of you Alzer. They've been merged to save space, but yeah, kingrob, what he said. It's a lot easier to just edit an existing post rather than spam with multiple posts in a row like that. Use the little pencil in the lower right-hand corner to do it.

BTW, I second the "buy a battleforce" comments. You can't go wrong with it. It's a good value and you'll find a use for almost everything in it.
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok thanks both o you =)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x5)

I just want to add some knowledge to it. If you really plan on getting a battle force, might as well buy the new Warrior phalanx. It's got the lith, the lord, equivalent of 2 battleforces and an AMAZING deal. There's a specific site which I buy my stuff from (thewarstore.com) that can order it for 20% off games workshop's price too!

Warrior Phalanx
    "There is only do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ooooh..... ok thanks, wud u know the specific site?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast