Getting a new army! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting a new army!

Alright, so i've recently decided to get a new army, that way i'll have the chance to play something other than necrons.

so i've looked into the armies (except necrons of course) and have decided that i will be getting either dark eldar or eldar due to the completely different playstyle from the cron
    now here lies the problem .... i dont know which to choose since both look really cool and interesting.

so im asking you what would my advantages be if i picked dark eldar? (and im not just talking about better models or units or w/e, im talking about everything fluff, tactics, etc...)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Models: You either love them or hate them, I love them so I'm good on this front
    Units: Many units, few good units; I employ most of the codex but I know of others who only use 2 or 3 different units
    Fluff: Not that much written so you have a lot of leeway but what we have is generally pretty awesome
    Tactics: There are plenty of differant variations of lists to play with so that's good, we rely more on forethought and planning than sheer power so keep that in mind

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

With 5th Edition just out it's going to be difficult for some of us to give a tactical break down of the differences between the two.

The eldar have had a codex written for 5th Ed and new models sculpts. That can usually be seen as an advantage. They have very few units that aren't worth taking.

The dark eldar have a very old codex which has made several units ineffective for thier point cost (having been developed when other similar units in other armies had similar high costs but do not any more because of Codex releases).

Style of play should be similar (and quite different from Necrons). You can have static gunline elements and also very mobile elements. They both have specialty troops that require matching up against the correct enemy unit to be effective. I would say Eldar have a little better selection of units to deal with Walkers in CC but Dark Eldar wyches are better than any Eldar aspect warrior choice AND we have the WebWay Portal which is so different from any other army play style.

Dark Eldar seem to be easy to pick up on ebay at the moment but difficult to order online from GW (some blisters are not even available anymore, like the Warriors w Assault Weapons).
    War Record Since Sept 2005
    Old Codex 48-20-9 Dark Eldar
    New Codex 1-0-0 Dark Eldar

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by jjman26 View Post
    Alright, so i've recently decided to get a new army, that way i'll have the chance to play something other than necrons.

so i've looked into the armies (except necrons of course) and have decided that i will be getting either dark eldar or eldar due to the completely different playstyle from the cron
    now here lies the problem .... i dont know which to choose since both look really cool and interesting.

so im asking you what would my advantages be if i picked dark eldar? (and im not just talking about better models or units or w/e, im talking about everything fluff, tactics, etc...)
    Do you want to play the –
    • Underdog?
    • Under rated?
    • And the misunderstood?

Then welcome aboard matey! We are all pirates here and nobody loves us, not even Games Workshop.

We have the most to gain (or loose depending on your point of view) from the impending rules changes, FAQ and the new Codex coming next year.

Dark Eldar seem to have that elusive ‘fear factor’ going for them and I have yet to find one opponent that really knows how to counter them well, possibly due to their ancient rules.

Rest assured that if you choose DE you will never go back to a ‘slow’ army ever again as the ability to direct play is so addictive and fun.

And I agree with Medic_4077, Ebay is an absolute treasure trove for us scurvy pirates!
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    159 (x5)

Our options do hold us back a bit although the new rule book will, I believe make us better as a general rule. I have had a lot of fun with the DE and you will learn from your mistakes quickly as they are generally quite obvious. Things like "On turn three i got annihilated and never recovered. Oh, perhaps i should not have moved there".

Eldar have a lot more options and have a lot more background and better models, but they are no where near as skill dependant as our race and that alone makes us fun to play. Also we are fun to talk about because we have a codex that is in a months time or so 10 years old and makes little sense with the rule book!
    Caps-Lock, its like cruise-control for AWESOMENESS!
    Dear Game Developer,
    Rock is cheese, Paper is just fine
    Signed Scissors.

WWP and other Dark Eldar how to
    http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=149386

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thx alot for the imput its really helpfull and i think i might just go for the DE they seem pretty sweet, so again thx for your thoughts on this matter.

+ Reply to Thread