5e feeder tendrils - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

5e feeder tendrils

My first read of 5th ed suggests that feeder tendrils are now a good buy for genestealers and the broodlord, and lictors are now actually more valuable.

For a small extra cost on the stealers, adding feeder tendrils for the new preferred enemy rule pulls them back to within a claw's breadth of their combat effectiveness in 4th ed - vs MEQs at least. Two caveats for assault remain, of course: try to assault on a wide front, and try to win the combat in the food's turn. That should minimise the disastrous prospect of a brood of stealers ending up unengaged in rapid fire range.

The broodlord with feeder tendrils is useful because the biomorph is cheap and the effect transfers to other units close to them. I've yet to test it, but I'm going to try keeping a broodlord within effect range of a pair of cheap assault carnifexes. They all move at the same speed now, after all, and don't lose any shots for running.

Similarly with the lictor - rather than using it unsatisfactorily as a torpedo, it might prove more useful as a helper to give hormagaunts and raveners some stick. And killing it off in cover under 5e is going to be even more frustrating for the food thanks to the generous revision of cover saves. The lictor is also now the smallest assault creature with a chance of popping a landraider. :-(

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    126 (x4)

IMO, flesh hooks are a far more important an upgrade for stealers than feeder tendrils. Sure your number of wounds may go up my a significant margin, but I feel you're wasting stealer points if you are not using their high initiative. If your init is greater than 4, not taking frags is a waste.

However, giving the broodlord feeder tendrils can be very well worth it. You won't necessarily have to pay for frag grenades for him if you give them to the unit (majority confers benefit) or you can give it to him as FT and FH are not mutually exclusive.
    Tim Wright

"The internet perceives censorship as damage, and routes around it."
    -John Gilmore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x2)

I just had my first 5th ed game with the broodlord + retinue and he was given EC and feeder tendrils. I like. For the points value, feeder tendrils are likely his most cost effective upgrade. But that's really not why he's a god send in 5th ed.

He rocks because he INFILTRATES!! Outflank is pretty fantastic. Run is definitely nice, but being able to drop him on your opponent's doorstep (granted, 2/3rd of the time) is just ridiculous.

For the point, i think i agree with the post above, i'd rather strike first (especially when assaulting through cover, which happens a LOT more often now) then get an extra 1/6 of my hits.

In 5th, you really never want to wipe your opponent out on your turn of assault, which is a serious risk with genestealers. (5th doesn't allow you to consolidate into assault)

And i'm not just posting this out of bitterness that i used most of my feeder tendrils heads on scenery

Tyranid Warrior Fanatic Phalanx's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

146 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by king88mob View Post
    I just had my first 5th ed game with the broodlord + retinue and he was given EC and feeder tendrils. I like. For the points value, feeder tendrils are likely his most cost effective upgrade. But that's really not why he's a god send in 5th ed.

He rocks because he INFILTRATES!! Outflank is pretty fantastic. Run is definitely nice, but being able to drop him on your opponent's doorstep (granted, 2/3rd of the time) is just ridiculous.

For the point, i think i agree with the post above, i'd rather strike first (especially when assaulting through cover, which happens a LOT more often now) then get an extra 1/6 of my hits.

In 5th, you really never want to wipe your opponent out on your turn of assault, which is a serious risk with genestealers. (5th doesn't allow you to consolidate into assault)

And i'm not just posting this out of bitterness that i used most of my feeder tendrils heads on scenery
    Its more than just a 1/6th increase in hits-> its a 2/9 increase in hits. It bumps stealers back to their 4th ed killing abilities.

If people are going through cover a lot more, though, then I can see why you would want FH instead.
    40K armies: Tyranids (2001), Space Wolves (2008), Sisters of Battle (2011)
    Current Rep: 1337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought of something, it might not work, but that's what we have a forum for. Take a broodlord with Feeder Tendrils so he confers the ability on his brood. Upgrade that brood with Acid Maw. You now have them rerolling hits and wounds, increasing their chances for rending. That group might be too good as you'll either wipe them out or break them.

You also lack flesh hooks, but if a lictor is used in conjunction, he can draw them out of cover by assaulting first. Or even a group of hormagaunts can do drawing out of cover.
    Farseer Faolain of Craftworld Tuathana
    Overlord of Hive Fleet Shoggoth
    See my projects and tutorials at: http://awakeningynnead.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

I would try giving the Broodlord something other than feeder tendrils and give the feeder tendrils to his Genestealers. The Genestealers will give him the benefit of it and it lets the Broodlord use another biomorph like implant attack for killing independent characters which he tends to encounter. Also the Genestealer brood can effect a larger number of friendly models with the feeder tendrils as they cover a wider area.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Faolain View Post
    I thought of something, it might not work, but that's what we have a forum for. Take a broodlord with Feeder Tendrils so he confers the ability on his brood. Upgrade that brood with Acid Maw. You now have them rerolling hits and wounds, increasing their chances for rending. That group might be too good as you'll either wipe them out or break them.

You also lack flesh hooks, but if a lictor is used in conjunction, he can draw them out of cover by assaulting first. Or even a group of hormagaunts can do drawing out of cover.
    Noice

That's a perfect dirty playing mixing of rules which shouldn't really be mixed.

I love it
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

146 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Leech View Post
    I would try giving the Broodlord something other than feeder tendrils and give the feeder tendrils to his Genestealers. The Genestealers will give him the benefit of it and it lets the Broodlord use another biomorph like implant attack for killing independent characters which he tends to encounter. Also the Genestealer brood can effect a larger number of friendly models with the feeder tendrils as they cover a wider area.
    IIRC a BL can have feeder tendrils and implant attack, which will save you a couple of points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
    IIRC a BL can have feeder tendrils and implant attack, which will save you a couple of points.
    I wish, but this is not the case.

page 36 of the codex "*Broodlords may only have one of these biomorphs"

acid maw, feeder tendrils, and implant attack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

146 (x7)

*checks* It seems you're right. I remembered that stealers could only take one, but I had thought broodlords could have its cake and eat it too.

+ Reply to Thread