About Kroot... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: About Kroot...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About Kroot...

Hey all, I've been playing tau for almost a year now and I don't understand how that many tau players have forest terrain to make kroot beneficial. I agree they can be great if so, but I never seem to play with any forest terrain. Do you kroot players bring forest pieces with you or what?

I find they just get mopped up before they can effectively do... anything. And they seem to take away from the empirical, tech-based, feel of the army.

I'm trying to understand the logic of them I guess, any advice would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    254 (x8)

Kroot can do well, but they need trees to do so as that cover save is vital for them staying alive.

I don't know how they will act in 5th Ed, but a 3+ cover save in trees does sound quite awesome. 2+ if they go to ground.

TBH, I only ever saw, and still do to an extent, Kroot as a unit that is there to ties up enemy units, or to just generally get in the way for the first couple of turns.
    Want to chat? You can normally find me in the LO CHAT!
    LO CHAT! JOIN US NOW AND BECOME A GOD OF BACON.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Toastee View Post
    Kroot can do well, but they need trees to do so as that cover save is vital for them staying alive.

I don't know how they will act in 5th Ed, but a 3+ cover save in trees does sound quite awesome. 2+ if they go to ground.

TBH, I only ever saw, and still do to an extent, Kroot as a unit that is there to ties up enemy units, or to just generally get in the way for the first couple of turns.
    Kroot were an awesome much underestimated unit in 4th, in 5th they just got even better. Apart from the benefits in wooded cover mentioned above, they also get some other boosts.

(a) They can now be transported in a Devilfish, this makes them much more mobile and survivable. They will be very useful for taking and holding objectives.

(b) Cover saves are a real bonus for Kroot, they effectively get an invulnerable save in any cover (not just wooded as in 4th). Basically we get an awesome cheap troop choice that can shoot well, assault well and now get a save (if deployed and moved well). When you consider what they are capable of for the points and how valuable troops are in the 5th then they are probably the best value unit in the entire 40K game.

(c) Infiltrate and outflanking make them very dangerous to any units like HQ and heavy weapons teams that are held back in the opponents lines.

(d) The assault rules make them very dangerous and much more survivable. If you take hounds you do not have to allocate wounds to them because they are in B2B like in 4th. This makes their initiative boost much more usable.

All in all Kroot, mobile Marker-lights and Stealth Marker-light teams are the most exciting things to come out of the 5th for Tau (IMO).

Striving for the right Ravenscraig's Avatar
    In exile on Earth - currently in Glasgow, Scotland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    All in all Kroot, mobile Marker-lights and Stealth Marker-light teams are the most exciting things to come out of the 5th for Tau (IMO).
    Yup, plus the no longer Pathfinder-only Devilfish ... ... or any dedicated DFs for that matter.

"The choice between good and evil, is made by all who live, with every single heartbeat ... ... ..."

Quote Originally Posted by ZenGamer View Post
    Simple wording. On a forum, any forum, wording is all one has to go by to determine tone and intent.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenscraig View Post
    Yup, plus the no longer Pathfinder-only Devilfish ... ... or any dedicated DFs for that matter.
    And the Pathfinder Devilfish now gets the scout rule. Check the new rules for scouts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

137 (x3)

(b) Cover saves are a real bonus for Kroot, they effectively get an invulnerable save in any cover (not just wooded as in 4th). Basically we get an awesome cheap troop choice that can shoot well, assault well and now get a save (if deployed and moved well). When you consider what they are capable of for the points and how valuable troops are in the 5th then they are probably the best value unit in the entire 40K game.

Did I miss something? Why would Kroot not get a cover save in non-forest terrain in 4th ed? I know they don't get their bonus, but wouldn't they still get the normal cover save if they are in, say, a building?

Assuming I haven't been doing that completely wrong, I have had much success with Kroot who are not in a forest. I generally keep them out of LOS, and then assault when they are able. They rip stuff apart in close combat, particularly the hounds. I even had them kill a large unit of guardians while simultaneously tying up a wraithlord for 3 turns - maybe not the smartest thing to do since they couldn't hurt it, but it worked wonders. I almost never use the kroot rifles at all, except when the opportunity presents itself.
    Last edited by ZenGamer; July 16th, 2008 at 15:44.
    -Thread Killer Bryan
    Tyranid Hive Fleet Typhoeus
    T'au Empire, Bork'an Sept

Striving for the right Ravenscraig's Avatar
    In exile on Earth - currently in Glasgow, Scotland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

144 (x3)

Did I miss something? Why would Kroot not get a cover save in non-forest terrain in 4th ed? I know they don't get their bonus, but wouldn't they still get the cover save if they are in, say, a building?
    Nope, I think you're quite right. Although I can't quite believe it, it does looks to me as if Riki might have got slightly confused. Now that's something we very rarely see (and probably something to tell your grandchildren about some day).

"The choice between good and evil, is made by all who live, with every single heartbeat ... ... ..."

Simple wording. On a forum, any forum, wording is all one has to go by to determine tone and intent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

137 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenscraig View Post
    Nope, I think you're quite right. Although I can't quite believe it, it does looks to me as if Riki might have got slightly confused. Now that's something we very rarely see (and probably something to tell your grandchildren about some day).
    I will add it to the family history so all future generations will know of this day!

Don't worry Riki, I still consider you a 5-star general among the Tau forums.
    -Thread Killer Bryan

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

724 (x8)

Did I miss something? Why would Kroot not get a cover save in non-forest terrain in 4th ed? I know they don't get their bonus, but wouldn't they still get the normal cover save if they are in, say, a building?

Assuming I haven't been doing that completely wrong, I have had much success with Kroot who are not in a forest. I generally keep them out of LOS, and then assault when they are able. They rip stuff apart in close combat, particularly the hounds. I even had them tie up a wraithlord for 3 turns - maybe not the smartest thing to do since they couldn't hurt it, but it worked wonders. I almost never use the kroot rifles at all, except when the opportunity presents itself.
    Sorry my bad wording (I am at work and have to fit the forum in when I can which tends to lead to rushed typing ) and I do get confused often (age).

What I meant to say was that the Kroot get better cover saves in non jungle terrain (4+ on average for most types of cover and from all friendly units) and not just decent cover saves in woods like in 4th.
    A 4+ save (on average) is going to really help Kroot, and using other units to give a cover save (such as vehicles, Drones etc) is going to help them survive while moving and also help them to hold objectives (much much more important and frequent in 5th).

Kroot only really benefited from non jungle cover in city fight type scenarios (due to heavy cover percentage) but now the 4+ save is going to be a lot easier to find for Kroot and that has got to help.

Kroot hounds are indeed utterly awesome and I do not understand why they are not more widely used. I have had nothing but success with these doggy type dudes. I think the Kroot rifle will come into its own a bit more if using Kroot for objective holding.
    I am going to do an article on just how much the rules benefit the Kroot; however my PC just had ANOTHER hard drive failure (only had the b*****d new drive two months and did I do a back up? what do you think?) so I will be writing it up and will try to get it posted at work, when the boss aint arooooond

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

137 (x3)

Kroot hounds are indeed utterly awesome and I do not understand why they are not more widely used. I have had nothing but success with these doggy type dudes. I think the Kroot rifle will come into its own a bit more if using Kroot for objective holding.
    I am going to do an article on just how much the rules benefit the Kroot...
    I will definitely be commenting on that one when you have it posted. I agree that Kroot hounds are FANTASTIC, points for points one of the best CC models in all of 40k in my opinion. They're pretty much equal to the Tyranid hormagaunts, but the equivalent hormagaunts (with both adrenal gland biomorphs to match the hounds' I and WS) cost double the points (though they are faster but this would not help the hounds anyway because they would be held back by the regular Kroot).

To add to that the hound models aren't terribly expensive (only about $4 USD each) and there is no excuse for not using them. NONE!!

And with the 5th edition rules (which I have finally had a chance to read), I will use the Kroot rifles much more since they will often have LOS. I don't consider the rifles to be super useful, but every bit helps. They have pretty good stats for sure - pretty similar to a bolter except for the AP.

All in all Kroot are some of my favorite models and I think their capabilities compliment the rest of the Tau army extremely well.

-Thread Killer Bryan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast