Starting with the Warrior Phalanx? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starting with the Warrior Phalanx?

After seeing the Necron Warrior Phalanx I could not resist it.
    I have a few questions though.

1. Could I make a good list with just the models in the set, or is there anything I must buy?
    2. 5th Edition. Any major changes to the 'cron play style?
    3. Is a Necron fear list more viable or less viable in 5th? (I'm not looking to be competitive with it, just have some fun! And this question doesn't really relate to the set itself.)
    4. Orks, my main opponent, can I beat them? How?
    5. Any tutorials out there on making Warriors into GOOD looking Immortals and Destroyers into H. Destroyers?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

boo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Grots/SoB/CSP/AWN/DE

This is for the haters... CrownAxe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

I prefer this conversion better Turning Necron Warriors into Immortals

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Heavy Destroyers are the same as the normal ones, you just need to buy the large gun individually.

To beat Orks, just sit back and Gauss them to death (also avoid combat, a Lith helps here)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    Heavy Destroyers are the same as the normal ones, you just need to buy the large gun individually.

To beat Orks, just sit back and Gauss them to death (also avoid combat, a Lith helps here)
    15 Destroyers and a Deceiver works wonders.

Too be honest ever since I've made my list over haul I havent had a problem with orks since.

But a lith is really handy against these guys I have to admit that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fear lists aren't really that playable- there are too many high leadership units... And Pariahs can't be everywhere.

For orks, a fear list may work. If nothing else, you can just take fear-inducing things without making it overtly thematic (ie Nightmare Shroud + Flayed Ones) As for killing them, all the weapons are good at that, the exception being the staff of light, due to it's range.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Against Orks, I would actually use the Nightbringer over the Deceiver. Here are my reasons...

Nightbringer has a strength of 10. Against most armies, the Deceiver's strength of 9 is more then enough, but the idea of being able to ID a Warboss is too tempting for me to pass up.

The Nightbringer's initiative of 4 is less of a disadvantage against orks, since the only model that can match that initiative is the Warboss, who should be taking a power klaw anyways.

The Nightbringer's special abilities are better against horde armies. Gaze of Death can sometimes work wonders if the Nightbringer is swamped. The same is true for Etheric Tempest since units of ork boyz are strength three and are easily tossed away. Moreover, Etheric Tempest can disengage orks from necron units that are in the same combat as the nightbringer, thus saving your use of the monolith for either teleporting a different unit out of combat, or for using its lovely pie plate weapon.

For me, the deceiver is best for using against smaller elite armies, rather then horde armies. Deceive is the only ability that would really work against those large ork units (with them being fearless in large numbers).

Grand illusion can help, but many times, horde armies simply charge forward. They use tactics, yes, but they are far less dependent on the tactics they use, so are less likely to be foiled by a change in your deployment.

Dread can also be useful to protect your necrons in close combat, but again, it rests solely upon the ability to remove the fearlessness from your ork opponents, whereas Etheric Tempest has no such restriction. Also, Dread requires the Deceiver to not be in close combat, which is exactly where a C'Tan should be when you are facing Orks.

I am not putting down the Deceiver. In most cases I agree that he is the better choice. I simply believe for facing Orks, Nightbringer is worth the extra 60 points and is a better bet.

Edit: These points I have made are based off of your opponent using a horde army of orks, as opposed to a speed freak army or a bad moon "how-many-lootas-meganobs-and-flash-gitz-can-we-cram-into-our-army". Against variants which are made up of smaller and more flexible, or powerful, units, the Deceiver's effectiveness increases and the Nightbringer's effectiveness decreases.
    Last edited by Zarak; July 17th, 2008 at 17:27.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5th edition

Your list will lose some effectiveness from the modified vehicle chart in 5th but the modified rules about scoring units means that more infantry will be played so it evens out. The only thing to be concerned about is some people won't want to play against a monolith .

+ Reply to Thread