Librarium Online Forums banner

Battle/Looted Wagons

671 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Morkai 
#1 ·
I want to find out what the more experienced ork players do for their wagons, what models to buy, what bits to attach, what colors to paint it, etc, whatever it takes to make it orky.

#2 ·
Easy and difficult

By the rules, you could use literally anything for either model, until the official plastic battlewagon comes out. Technically, you could field a classic ork trukk (about the size of a wallet) as a battlewagon. There's nothing saying you can't. Of course, I think your average player is going to call shenanigans on that one.

Looted wagons are easy. Any 40k vehicle will work, although it probably should have wheels. I use a rhino as a looted vehicle, as it's the cheapest vehicle you can buy. You could also use a trukk if you like (although that might get confusing if you're using other trukks in the list). For looted wagons, I'd look on ebay for bargains, since it doesn't really matter if it's a little damaged. In fact, that's probably better.

Battlewagons are trickier, and no matter what, unless you use a Land Raider, at least some people are going to complain. I say let them complain. They're too expensive. Instead, I used a rhino hull, several plates & wheels I had left over from a trukk set, and a large plate glued on front that I got in a lot of random bits, that's actually the back of a baneblade. I don't see anything wrong with something like this, but the best compromise between cost and look is a Leman Russ. It has the same armor of a battlewagon and it looks nice. Some people will probably complain that it can't realistically hold 20 people, and my response is that a rhino can't realistically hold 10. The vehicles in 40k are representational. In reality, they'd all be bigger, considering they wouldn't be hollow inside. The engine and equipment would have to fit along with them.

Well, I've ranted on a bit now, but for a looted wagon I'd use whatever's convenient. Either look for a cheap rhino, or if you got some extra bits, I'd find a basic rhino hull (they're relatively cheap on ebay) and then attach a bunch of stuff. The weirder it looks, the better.

For the battlewagon, I'd use a Leman Russ, with extras attached if you like. I wouldn't use a Land Raider though. Again, they're too expensive. I'd stop using battlewagons first.

#3 ·
You can take witch vehicle you like(maby not walkers and if you take skimmers make sure you put some weals on just so you dont break any rules), buy plasticcards and just make it orky by just strapping on some more armorplate or some some orky totems and trophies. The painting you can do what ever you feel like. If you rae gonna use it like a transport then you should have red on it cause of the red piant job. Think like this you cam almost put anything on an ork and will look cool.

Good luck and i hope could help u some:dance:

#4 ·
Well, I bought this old Gorkamorka trukk off of ebay, it hasn't been painted yet. I may just use that for my "looted" vehicle, since my only play options are incredibly casual (not even a GW store within 100 miles of where I live anyways!)
Thank you for the help, I wanted to see if I could get a nice anti-vehicle tank by strapping a shit-ton of rokkits to it. ^^

#5 ·
My main looted wagon is a Basilisk. Had this from the old codex when we could loot vehicles and I Orkified it. With that gone, but Looted Wagons in, I have made it convertible. The platform the cannon goes on can slide in and out with ease. thus when I use a boomgun I slide this into place. Then I created a 2nd platform out of plasticard and am working on this to make a troop transport Looted Wagon. For my other Looted Wagons, I have 3 old Rhinos that I'll be bulking up and Orkifying.

As for Battle Wagons, I found some great GI Joe stuff. With a little dissasembly the tank is roughly the same size as a Land Raider. Same height, slightly wider and slightly shorter. Once complete though it will be the same length if not longer and a tad taller. I have 4 of them, they were less than $10 each and my extensive bits box and plasticard will help me round off these conversions. They aren't GW tourney legal, but I don't play in GW tourneys. My friends think they are great and my local hobby shop will too I bet.

#6 ·
i had a leman russ that i used w/ the old dex, but now it serves as a looted wagon w/ boom cannon, but i have used it has battlewagon w/ killcannon as well. i have the hatch off to signify that its open topped. I would fork over some coin for an imperial tank of somekind- not a land raider mind you, i agree w/ grax all the way on that one- but a basilisk, russ, or predator would do nicely. you get your vehicle and a ton of non ork bitz to kustomize your army with. extra bits of armor, cadian torsos that make excelent dead bodies, spare pinicle mounted guns, and imperial transfer shees.

let your imagination run wild- its an ork vehicle, you can basicly do no wrong. the crappier/weirder it looks the better:dance:

#7 ·
I used to run with a leman russ in the old dex and so it's obviously become a rather nice looted wagon. Since the change to 4th ed. I've converted an old chimera into another looted wagon and have started working on scratch building a battlewagon. It's roughly the size of a leman russ, only slightly longer, wider and significantly higher. I find some of the best battlewagons are scratchbuilds, and while it can be a hassle to construct a decent looking wagon, in the end it will be more unique and interesting than a converted Land raider or monolith (yes monolith).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.