Welcome to Librarium Online!
Right, I have recently discovered a brilliant trick of magnetising Destroyer arms so they can switch between roles of Heavy Ds and ordinary ones. This is such a genius idea that I'm going to do it with the 2 Heavy Ds I'm planning on getting, just in case they turn out rubbish in gameplay.
So, can anyone help me by reccommending:
1) A place to order the spare Heavy Gauss cannons from
2) A place to order the required magnets from
3) What size magnets to get
4) How exactly to go about converting the thing (If anyone has done this already)
I cant recomend any places to get parts (ebay maybe?) but you'll want what are called rare earth magnets. They're the most popular amongst modelers.
A really inexpensive way I know some marine marine players have done to drednaughts is to drill a hole right through each army sockets take a a piece of dowel and stick blue tack on the ends of it.
So you could try and do the same thing just with small rare earth magnets on the dowel.
1. GW seems to be making it more difficult for us to Poorhammer. You can no longer buy Flayed Ones claws for instance.
2. I got my magnets from K&J.
3. For my Destroyer Lord I found the 1/16" x 1/32" to be a good size. I also picked up some 1/8" x 1/16" but they are too large for Destroyers (probably better suited for Carnifexes).
4. "Dry fit" everything! Don't glue until you're absolutely sure. My guess is that you will need to also do some pinning to keep those Heavy Gauss Cannons upright. My Destroyer Lord's weapon arms (SoL and Warscythe) were too heavy for the 1/16" x 1/32". The arms kept pivoting. I found that embedding the magnet up in the shoulder armour works well. I placed the pin in the socket joint of the a torso so that it sticks out horizontally. I can now slide my the SoL or WS onto the pin while the magnet above (in the shoulder armour) holds it relatively steady.
Karmoon: "well.. any kore = good kore" 12:35pm PST 23 May 2007
Last edited by novitaun; August 11th, 2008 at 10:12. Reason: double posting
GW won't sell anymore bits and pieces ever again. I lost some of my necron warrior arms. So I decided to decorate the figures as following:
I cut tiny piece of a standard brass wire and pealed part of the plastic surrounding. The little brass threads I modelled them. After this I painted the necron and the result is outstandig: you end up with a necron warrior wich is self repairing a torned armpit with wires hanging from it!
Last edited by novitaun; August 11th, 2008 at 12:03. Reason: update
can you post some pics
Sorry! got none now, when I manage to fix my cammera and host them images I'l post it