Flamers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flamers

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Flamers

After having played several games under 5th, I have now started a love affair with the humble flamer.

I found it quite hard to force horde troops with excellent cover saves off an objective. They get a save against all my shooting and are better in combat, so after two games I took flamers on some of my suits.

This enabled me to clear out the enemy troops quite easily and won several games for me.

Has anyone else tried to use them?

Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have had this problem, also. My solutions were;
    • markerlight away their saves
    • twin-linked flamer/dual gundrone suits (made in advance for 5th ed)
    only used my tau once with 5th ed, and now my pathfinders are out my list, but the suits lost the extra flamer and found b.cannons for the journey to flamer-range.

Results speak for themselves
    Quantity has a Quality all of its own - Josesph Stallin

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

I tried doing the markerlight thing, but then I found I was too static and unable to capture objectives.

I found it hard to get rid of 20 guardsmen, gone to ground, with a 2+ cover save in a bunker. It's like having to kill 20 termies. Hence the flamers.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    137 (x3)

I always liked the idea of flamers... but never used them.

What kinds of flamer suits do you guys use?

If I were to use a flamer suit, I think I would use a unit like this...

2 XV8 suits with
    Twin-Linked Flamer
    Missile Pod

At least they'd have something to do at long range, especially if they don't deepstrike.
    -Thread Killer Bryan
    Tyranid Hive Fleet Typhoeus
    T'au Empire, Bork'an Sept

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

399 (x8)

I have been taking the twin-linked Missilepod and flamer.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recently decided to run this setup in my armies.

xv8 w/ TL flamer, missile pod
    43pts

xv8 w/ TL fusion blaster, flamer
    47pts

xv8 w/ TL fusion blaster, flamer
    47pts

Primarily the Twin linked fusion blaster units deepstrike in to pop tanks from within 6" and the Twin linked flamer works as a sacrificial unit for my broadsides. To protect from the new and in the case of genestealers (pain in the @ss) outflanking rule to buy me some time to react. All three units are kept as cheap as possible since their roles are deadly and you want the best bang for your buck.

But now that you mention trying to shift 20 guardsmen gone to ground. I think these guys just got another very effective use added to them. Since not every army has tanks nor the outflanking special rule.
    "It's important to remember at all times that anyone who's done more than you has no life... Also, anyone who's done less than you is a noob."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    128 (x4)

You might be interested in the "Brimstone" Crisis suit configuration. Take a Elite Crisis suit, pop him up to Shas'vre and equip him with twin-linked flamers, Airbursting Fragmentation Projector (Shas'vre allows you to take this) and hard-wired multi-tracker (you may want a Stimulant Injector as he's probably going to get locked in close combat at that range).

Twin-linking flamers allows you to re-roll wounds (aka auto-hit, twin-linked wounding, no cover saves). The AFP has flamer stats with a large blast template at 18" range, and being a blast template does not require a to-hit roll, so it autohits with D6-3" scatter. This makes for a pretty solid, somewhat expendable, cover-save-ignoring suit.
    My gaming group's new motto: That army you're using is overpowered because it hurts my guys, codex is broken and needs a rewrite.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

399 (x8)

Nice, I might try that one out.

I still like having the TL Missiles to pop rhino's and the like. I find a lot of marine players are parking rhino's with some marines on onjectives and they are quite painful.

However, Kroot are kicking but. I got charged by a daemon prince and struck first (I was in cover) with 40 attacks and killed him outright.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

443 (x8)

Considering that some of my elite suits have been shifted over to play bodyguard for my HQ, I've been pondering the use of an open elite slot for flamer suits. Just imagine units of more than one hosing down Ork mobs or 'Nid broods...

And they're cheap.
    Last edited by psichotykwyrm; July 21st, 2008 at 08:09. Reason: spelling
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

Rule No 1

Remember Rule No1

Everyone underestimates Twin LInked Flamers.

These things are nasty, not leat because they are so insultingly cheap. They are great anti-terminator weapons.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast