Is this Nob legal? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    129 (x8)

Is this Nob legal?

Hello guys, I'm sitting here assembling my Shoota Boyz and a question struck me.

In the codex it says "For every ten Orks in the mob, one Ork may exchange his slugga or shoota for.."

Does this include the Nob? He is pretty much an Ork, and he has a slugga. Since power klaws/fists no longer can be combined with pistols or other ccw in 5th edition to gain an extra attack, he could as well carry a special weapon. Now this model is going to look awesome, very killy and in character. I just wanted to hear what you guys think about this before I go about gluing him together. Is it legal?

The wording is a bit sketchy IMO, the text "The entire mob may replace their sluggas and choppas with shootas for free" could be interpreted such as if they do, the Nob also has to. And if the Nob has a Shoota, he does not have a Choppa to exhange for his power klaw. But this is obviously not intended, in an example list in the codex a unit of shoota boyz has a Nob with slugga and choppa. (In two cases I think)

What do you think?

Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Deja Vu

The short answer:

You can equip your nob any way you like. Switching between sluggas/choppas and shootas doesn't affect the nobz.

The long answer:

That's actually a point that ork players were arguing over after information on the new codex was released. The release of the codex cleared things up a bit, not so much with the text, but with the sample army lists and pictures of sample armies, which included mobz of shoota boyz with nobz equipped with powerklaws leading them.

Any remaining arguments were ended with the release of the official FAQ, which clearly stated that nobz aren't affected if you switch the sluggas/choppas for shootas.
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    266 (x8)

But isn't he a character anyway and in most cases they have totally different weapon loads to the rest of the squads.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    216 (x7)

I don't think you can give him a Big shoota or Rokkit Launcha.
    Every other army has restrictions on its units so that the Sergent, Champion, etc can't take the heavy or special weapon. I think it would be safe to say Orkz have the same restriction.
    It says an Ork can replace it, it has a separate list for weapons the Nob can have.

It kinda sucks though, as in the Old codex you could give your nobz big shootaz, I had a squad of 5 of them, all with big shootaz. Major firepower!
    Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x1)

Actually the FAQ says thats Nobz can replace their Choppas with a Power Klaw "before" the rest of the squad replaces theirs with Shootas, as in its entirely optional. Nobz can be counted as regular members of the squad for armament purposes.

So I'd say, yes, Nobz can have a Big Shoota or Rokkit Launcha, since the option for the BS/RL says replace his Slugga or Shoota, while the Nob can replace his Choppa with a PK. So You can have a Nob w/ Power Klaw and Rokkit for example.
    Takka n' Wakka's Dakka Attacka! 33W / 6L / 1D

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

No point

It's clear that normal models aren't supposed to be able to use powerklaws and special weapons at the same time, not without the help of some kind of 'super armor' or impressive physical size. To further the point, tankbusta nobz have to give up their rokkits in order to take powerklaws. Using both at the same time simply isn't possible.

As per the errata, a nob doesn't have to give up his powerklaw even if the unit trades their sluggas/choppas for shootas, because he traded his choppa in before the rest of the unit exchanged their weapons. This means one of two things: you can only trade weapons in once, or you can't trade sluggas/choppas in for a shoota or special weapon unless you exchange both. If this wasn't true, than boyz with big shootas and rokkits would still have their choppas.

Even if you could, why would you? You're just doubling your losses if the nob happens to die early. The only advantage I can see is when using slugga boyz and a nob with a powerklaw, it gives the unit 1 more attack each round, from a normal boy. That hardly seems worth the risk to me.
    Last edited by mynameisgrax; July 22nd, 2008 at 21:39.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

129 (x8)

The advantage in a Shoota boyz mob is that the useless slugga on the nob (he no longer gets +1 attack for it in cc) is replaced by a better weapon, in effect it is a Shoota more in the squad.

Also, if the Nob has 'eavy armor he is a better protector of the big shoota than a normal boy. The more standard shoota models you have, the more wounds you have to take before you have to start allocating wounds to specially equipped models such as the Nob or a boy with Big Shoota. If you have a Nob and 3 special weapon orks, you have 4 specially equipped models. If you have a Nob and 2 special weapon orks, you have but 3. So it's safer and it gives you 2 additional Shoota shots (or an extra CC attack if Slugga boyz)

Besides, it is fluffy. Would a shoota boy Nob allow any of their boyz to have more Dakka than him? No, that weapon would be 'confiscated'.

I wish I'd remembered to ask about this at GW Stockholm when I was there yesterday... but I doubt it is legal to give him the Big Shoota. Words words words.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

511 (x8)

Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Viktor View Post
    The advantage in a Shoota boyz mob is that the useless slugga on the nob (he no longer gets +1 attack for it in cc) is replaced by a better weapon, in effect it is a Shoota more in the squad.

Also, if the Nob has 'eavy armor he is a better protector of the big shoota than a normal boy. The more standard shoota models you have, the more wounds you have to take before you have to start allocating wounds to specially equipped models such as the Nob or a boy with Big Shoota. If you have a Nob and 3 special weapon orks, you have 4 specially equipped models. If you have a Nob and 2 special weapon orks, you have but 3. So it's safer and it gives you 2 additional Shoota shots (or an extra CC attack if Slugga boyz)

Besides, it is fluffy. Would a shoota boy Nob allow any of their boyz to have more Dakka than him? No, that weapon would be 'confiscated'.

I wish I'd remembered to ask about this at GW Stockholm when I was there yesterday... but I doubt it is legal to give him the Big Shoota. Words words words.
    Interesting point. If you're going to give 'eavy armor to the nob, it does keep the gun safer, and not only would it give +1 attacks in close combat to slugga mobz, but it would give an extra 1-2 shots for shoota boy mobz (assuming they might not be within 12in, so the slugga shot might not have shot at all).

I still don't think it's legal though, because a nob with a slugga and powerklaw doesn't exchange the slugga alone for a shoota when the mob switches their sluggas/choppas for shootas. Also, if you could switch the slugga for the big shoota/rokkit without giving up the choppa (or the powerklaw), the big shoota/rokkit boyz would still have their choppa.

Either you need to trade both the slugga and the choppa, or you can only trade weapons once. That's the consistent rule, and either way, nobz can't do either and still keep their powerklaw.

On the other hand, I actually don't see anything that prevents a nob from using a big shoota or rokkit as their only weapon, but that's wasting their improved close combat abilities. I always give the nob a powerklaw. Good point though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Viktor View Post
    Unfortunately that is not the case. The FAQ clearly states that a Shoota Boyz nob can be upgraded to a Big Choppa or PK, but that he keeps his Slugga and does not receive a Shoota.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

129 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by mynameisgrax View Post
    I still don't think it's legal though, because a nob with a slugga and powerklaw doesn't exchange the slugga alone for a shoota when the mob switches their sluggas/choppas for shootas. Also, if you could switch the slugga for the big shoota/rokkit without giving up the choppa (or the powerklaw), the big shoota/rokkit boyz would still have their choppa.

Either you need to trade both the slugga and the choppa, or you can only trade weapons once. That's the consistent rule, and either way, nobz can't do either and still keep their powerklaw.
    Sure, but the wording in the codex is this:

"* For every ten Orks in the mob, one Ork may exchange his slugga or shoota for:"

So basically, he keeps the slugga and choppa when the rest of the boyz change their weapons for shootas, upgrades the choppa to a power klaw and the slugga to a big shoota.

Look it up, it's on page 100. I'll ask the dudes at GW tomorrow what they think.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast