Heavy Support Platforms - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heavy Support Platforms

Im having some problems in regards to where on earth you could include Heavy Support platforms in a effective list, while they are cool I just can't think of any tactics for them

Any thoughts or tactics are welcome

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When fighting mob armies I like to employ the vibro cannon as it can be used to hit multiple squads and with decent strength against low armor saves you can see how one of these could pay for itself quickly, especially in situations where the enemy comes to you. It also is nice to have against necrons as it can remain out of sight but cause damage to scary monoliths for which the eldar have few answers.

For the D-Cannon I use it more against MEQs and tank heavy armies. While it may not always rack up the kills, it will cause your opponent to change his strategy around them, making it easier for you to control the game.

Shadow weaver is the one weapon I often have a difficult time including in my armies as its lack of ordinance blast and any AP to speak of make it difficult to count on for kills. I have found use for it when playing in games with a lot of terrain as it (the terrain) protects your army and these can be useful at least for spreading your opponent out and forcing them to come to you. Other than that I will make room for them in larger battles (those in the 3K-4K range) where you're fighting a lot of units and some versatility never hurts.

Hope this helps these are only my experiences with these weapons and I'm sure there are more out there.
    -Alaitoc Ranger Force (1850pts)
    -Nucleonauts (started)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've only used the D cannon before always in a battery of 3 guns. Parked up behind large cover they are very dangerous.

The range isn't amazing i'll admit but if you can get them into a position to cover an objective and be out of LOS they are lifesavers. First game i used them i managed to wipe out a 5 man MEQ assault squad before they could engage my objective holding rangers. Saved the day. Another time they wer close enough to put fire back towards my deployment zone and ruin some deepstriking deathwing's day.

Whilst they don't make every list, i do love them for close support vs terminators and vehicles. Key point is to keep them out of direct fire or stick a warlock in with them.
    Bleed Black Label S.D.M.F's!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not so sure that warlocks will really increase the longevity of a battery there angry angels. If those units get shot at the general consensus is they are screwed with only 6 weak units, warlock or not.
    -Alaitoc Ranger Force (1850pts)
    -Nucleonauts (started)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More of an on the fly suggestion, i'll grant you.

When i was starting out i had no better use for the points and i'm pretty lucky on 5+ saves so it seemed valid in my head.

Certainly believe it's best that they avoid direct fighting, keep in hard cover and support other troops.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always found the platforms un-fluffy. Love the guns, am confused by why they would be so slow, unwieldly, and naked. I understand *why* in game terms, just don't think they fit all that well.

Now if we could get a TL Shadoweaver on a Wave Serpent...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forgeworld do a similar one. Called the doom weaver or the shadow weaver or something. It's on my long term shopping list. I may just convert one out of the left over support versions and a falcon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well yes, but it's unfortunately a superheavy skimmer and not something you can put in a troops slot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    129 (x8)

I'm a great fan of D-Cannons. For further information, look at this post: Click here <------

Basically, they work as Vindicators. Hidden Vindicators. They control the enemy in a fearful way, and destroy his units if he defies them.

Especially in small games, these guys are awesome. But in large game a single D-Cannon can still be viable, granted you're not a sucker for the more expensive Heavy Support units.

But as I said, read my post in the link above.
    Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Tsenzouken View Post
    Well yes, but it's unfortunately a superheavy skimmer and not something you can put in a troops slot.
    It's not superheavy actually, just forgeworld, and it's around the points cost of a falcon with a decent second gun.

The coolest bit though is where your support battery falcon suddenly flies out at the enemy and drops off some banshees when it's running out of decent targets...

As for support weapons... while i haven't used them, i do consider them to be excellent choices, especially the d-cannon. Would you rather have a d-cannon or 1 and a bit reapers in support?
    Avatar's Arena #3 let the games begin!
    The Outsider And Kae'Tyr-necron fluff

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast