Help with harlequines - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help with harlequines

I really like the harlequin models and they fit my Fateweaver-army theme very well, so, I want to put in one squad. First, I thought 8 harlequines and all have kisses, 32 rending attacks at initiative 7, not bad. Then I started thinking about the different characters. Jester, well, would fit the theme nicely, but is seldom used and I'm afraid of it's effectiveness. the troupe master has power weapon and 1 more attack, which I considered reasonable, but the Shadowseer just, well, ugh, doesn't fit. The armies are usually 1000-1500 points, so I'd like to know what would be a good unit size and should I have the kisses on all of them, if not, then how many? Thank you in advance! P.S - How could I get the most out of the Jester?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x2)

Okay so granted, I don't use harlies. However, a few things...

First, that's a lot of kisses... too many I would say. Besides the points, a squad that wipes everything out too quickly gets left out to get shot. I think that 4 or 5 kisses should do the trick.

As far as the Jester is concerned, it seems to me that you could use a 6 strong squad of harlies with like 4 kisses and a Jester in a falcon, and that would allow you to get some firepower down after jumping out. Transport kind of lessens the importance of fleet, thus allowing you to shoot a little more.

A Shadowseer really gets good on a full squad that is fleeting up the field. The ability to "hide" from heavily concentrated firepower is key.
    I think you need to spend more time on your floor.

2500 Black Templars
    7-3-3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree, also especially in 1000 pt games you would want to skip on the transport, it will save you alot of points and just take the shadowseer. As for the death jester... meh I could do without him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Death Jester suffers from being a model that's so awesome looking you don't want to leave him at home, but he slows down the harlies.

If they could be pseudo-independent like they used to be, that would be better.
    Farseer Faolain of Craftworld Tuathana
    Overlord of Hive Fleet Shoggoth
    See my projects and tutorials at: http://awakeningynnead.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, yes, ofcourse, shooting denies fleet. Damnit... Well I might just paint a Death Jester even if I wouldn't use it. But, I also like the Trouper alot, so, what do you think about him? 5 S5 attacks with initiative 7 will do some damage to all those marines and such, but I haven't tested him yet, so any thoughts? And thanks for all the comments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another reason to reduce the kisses in your squad is them possibly taking unsaved wounds before even entering CC making each of them killed a huge waste of points. I use harlies in one of two ways. 1) I put 6 harlies, 1 of them a Troupe Master w/ 4 kisses in a falcon IF i have few or no other transported squads (rare for most eldar armies) and use these in more of a distraction type role while the rest of my army does its thing OR 2) I put 7-9 harlies, 1 shadowseer w/ veli of tears and 4 kisses in a squad and use these as my primary CC squad IF i have any significant number of transports in my army as it makes versatile squads (such as shoota boys w/ rokkits or tac squads w/ lascannons) waste their shots which could be hurting transports just to SEE the harlies.

I have yet to really see much use for the Death Jester. He shoots 24" but that means the squad could be in CC in two turns easy and their shooting phase would be much better spent running. Maybe if there could be multiple DJs in a squad or if they acted as an IC (IIRC they used to work this way) they would be a viable option but I haven't found a way to squeeze them into my strategy.
    -Alaitoc Ranger Force (1850pts)
    -Nucleonauts (started)

ex-tookool126 DieHardSaintKildaSupporter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Harlies = own anything in cc. So Basically Troupe Master is overkill, Harlies will kill everything they touch especially at that point level. Shadowseer is a must have, no question about it. They'll get shot to pieces without him. In an 8 man squad about 5 kisses is good since if u kill everything u'll die since u'll be in the open without consolidation. Hit an opponent, crippling the squad until it's basically useless (a 2-3 man squad of marines isn't goign to hurt you, so rather let those marines live than kill it all and watch ur 250 point cc unit of doom get shot after killing a squad of marines), then after that hit and run unto ur next squad. Harlies wont be the uber unit they were without consolidation but still good enough to be quite a threat on the battlefield.
    Signed Sealed Saint
    Fortius Quo Fidelius

+ Reply to Thread