New Eldar - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Eldar

Hey everybody, I just started playing WH40k with the release of the 5th Edition. I was deciding what my first army should be and thought Eldar looked good. Could someone give me the pros/cons of the Eldar and what models I should buy first if I plan on using them? (Also, what paints and tools I should buy to make the army look decent.)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Striving for the right Ravenscraig's Avatar
    In exile on Earth - currently in Glasgow, Scotland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

Hey there.

Welcome to the more civilised parts of the 40K world - and Eldar are about as civilised as they come! My strong suggestion is that you take a lot at the articles listed up in the Eldar Index Section, particularly the very useful (and excellent) tactica:

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...r-tactica.html (New Eldar Tactica)

Once you've had a chance to browse through these, you'll probably find many of your questions have already been answered, and those that haven't been will be easier for the rest of us to tackle than giving you rather general advice.

Take your time and enjoy what's posted up there, we'll still be here when you're done reading!

Once again, welcome.

~ Raven ~

"The choice between good and evil, is made by all who live, with every single heartbeat ... ... ..."

Quote Originally Posted by ZenGamer View Post
    Simple wording. On a forum, any forum, wording is all one has to go by to determine tone and intent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, thanks. I'll go read through the articles now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, even though I would need to take squads that complement each other, would it be a good idea to take more Dark Reapers and make a more ranged Eldar army?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ah well this is usually up to the commander. ill agree that dark reapers are fairly awesome, but always the answer is it depends. ALWAYS. on the rest of your army list that is.

the general consensus is that eldar have two advantages over other races - those being speed and versatility. there arent too many units in the codex youll find left out of players collections and thats because the eldar really do have so many viable options at their disposal.

when building any army though its important to keep a few things in mind, like what youre putting all those models together for in the first place. whether its some great fluffy background youve thought up, building a wicked take-all-comers army you plan on running through the tourney circuit, or maybe just your newfound obsession with certain models - it affects your list.

once you actually get around to painting those pointy headed fellows, be sure to check out the GW site as they offer a few good starter guides for painting/assembly of eldar. you can either follow one of the 5 common craftworlds (found in Codex: Eldar), one of the lesser known ones, or make up your own (or even an exodite clan or chaos infested tribe, its really up to you).

take a look at some of the army lists posted for ideas or come up with your own and people are pretty willing to lend a hand. once you have some vague idea of what you want your army to consist of and look like you can jump into painting and converting and all that time/money consuming fun stuff.

and definitely read up on those tacticas.
    Last edited by rhammi; July 25th, 2008 at 08:00.
    -Alaitoc Ranger Force (1850pts)
    -Nucleonauts (started)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your help everyone.

Do both Autarch models on the GW website come with options for putting wings on them or their different weapons to be switched out?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe one of them comes with wings, and the other with a WJG. A good tip when starting Eldar is to take a pinch of everything. My first list had a Wave Serpent in it for tanky greatness, two sets of Avengers for the short range firepower, an Avatar and some Banshees for combat, some War Walkers and some Reapers for ranged combat and a Farseer and some Rangers for the sake of it.

You end up with a nice, balanced list which can take a bite out of most armies and you'll find yourself using more and more of certain units, so you'll know where to take your army in the future if you want to expand =)
    Quantity has a Quality all of its own - Josesph Stallin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MAybe get the battleforce but don't get gaurdians for troops get dire avengers. the range is better then a catupult at 12 in.

Reapers are very good if playing tau with all those battlesuits.

striking scorpians are very good in infiltration.

a wraithlord is very helpful for tank busting.

you should get swooping hawks which a good for troop killing.( they can deep strike!)
    definitly read up on articles for them so u can ge a feel. it really depends on the other race you face in battle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool. Thanks for the information.

Now though, what paints should I get to paint say, a Biel-Tan craftworld force? Can I paint them their normal aspect warrior colors with their aspect signs but somehow maybe have the Biel-Tan sigil on them as well?

Or is it cheaper/more efficient to just get the Biel-Tan colors and paint them that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Typically, Aspect Warriors have certain colors associated with them. However, many also encorporate their Craftworld's colors as well. For example, a Howling Banshee from Saim-Hann (sp?), would have both the classic bone colors of the Banshees, along with the reds blacks and whites of Saim-Hann. It is up to you to decide where the happy medium is. Nobody will blame you for picking one of the two themes to focus on or to find some point in between. Eldar are a very diverse group. Even within a single craftworld, different shrines of the same aspect each have their own unique appearances. It is not like Space Marines, where fluff encourages you to stick with a specific color scheme (for most of the chapters).
    Last edited by Zarak; July 29th, 2008 at 19:41.
    Increasing the diversity of the 40k universe through the destruction of Space Marines, one army at a time...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast