Newbie Need Help?!? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've just started to get into Warhammer 40k not long ago so i don't know much. My main foes will be Space marines!! and a little of chaos and eldar...

The one prob is money Wh40k is bloody expenisve...$150 AUs for battle force..
    I'm jsut trying to get a 1500pt army to play wid..and will get codex soon.

MY friend will sell me a......Carnifex (the old lookin one with 4 claws...... can u still use old modles??). 3 warriors ... zoantrhope and a lictor for $15 bucks or $20 AUs.

than i can also pruchase 36 gensestlears......(might be to much) an old hive tyrant(can i use it ??) (old carnifex) 2 lictors a biover with 2 spores.. for approx $150 aus.(too much mayb could cut down on lictors biovore and stealers)

SO all i wud have to do is buy a box of hormaguants/termagunts..For $50bucks...

What should i buy and what shouldn't i buy.. i realsie that i do need some gaunts to soak up some fire.

SO what should i use for 1000 or 1500 pt army agaisnt SP..P.s my friend has a the best tank which cost liek $80 aus chaplian .. soem medivial looking guy that he an use as an extra hq choice , chaplain , lots of small guys, and guys taht have jet packs... which i hard to kill cuz he flies everywhere hope it all makes sense thx

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x7)

Originally posted by skizzy07@May 29 2004, 06:21
    I'm jsut trying to get a 1500pt army to play wid..and will get codex soon.
    --- Yep, You need the Tyranid Codex for the 3rd Edition Tyranid rules. Best to buy it cheaply 2nd-hand, since according to rumours the 4thEd Codex is coming relatively soon. Once You get the Codex, the shorthand I will use will be clearer.

Get the Codex, read it through a few times, make a list, post it here for feedback, make a new list with the feedback in mind, post it here, etc, until You reach a list You feel comfortable with, and then buy the models. =)

As for the models, yes, You can play with 2nd Edition models. The only things I'd modify are some of the Bioweapons.

Buy a few Monstrous sprues and Hormagaunt sprues separately if You can. Bits by mail order is usually possible in GW stores.

Carnifex (the old lookin one with 4 claws
    --- I would remove the second pair of claws, and put on a VCannon from the Monstrous sprue instead.

3 warriors
    --- Depends on the weapons, though the 2nd Ed Warriors look pretty dumb... Probably best to make them into close combat Warriors. Remove the upper arms (with Swords and other weapons), put ScyTal instead (either from the Monstrous or Hormagaunt sprues). They might look a bit silly, but better than having swords... ^_^;

zoantrhope and a lictor
    --- Lictors look pretty much the same as 3rdEd, no probs there.

2ndEd Zoanthropes look dumb IMO, but work and You don't need to convert.

36 gensestlears
    --- Yeah, that's quite many... You probably won't ever field them all, but if You can get them for cheap, why not?

an old hive tyrant
    --- Bioweaponry is an important issue. If it has a VCannon, You're ok. A BStrangler, and I'd say no deal...

The left-side hands with the CC weapons should be replaced by ScyTal from the new sprues.

(old carnifex)
    --- A second one? Same thing applies as with the first.

2 lictors a biover with 2 spores
    --- Lictors I've already spoken of, Biovores are basically the same. They look different, but since You don't need to convert any weaponry on them, You can pretty much use them as is.

SO all i wud have to do is buy a box of hormaguants/termagunts..For $50bucks...
    --- I'd suggest a minimum of 2 boxes... A single box of Gaunts has 8 walking, 8 Leaping Gaunts, and that's nowhere near enough.

My advice would be to spend the money and buy a 3rd Edition Battleforce box. With the Battleforce and the models mentioned after, Your list would be about 1000pts.

Battleforce Box:
    - 3 Warriors
    - 16 Gaunts
    - 16 Leaping Gaunts
    - 12 Genestealers
    - 3 Ripper Swarm bases

Get an extra Monstrous sprue, and buy a Carnifex and a Hive Tyrant from Your friend. Convert them using parts from the Monstrous sprue, as per the suggestions above.

Of those You mentioned, other models which can be worth considering:

Some 'Stealers (12 should be enough)
    Some Lictors (or all three, You won't ever need more! )
    Zoanthrope
    Biovore + Spore Mines

Hope this helped!

Ps. If at all possible, please try to tidy up Your writing a bit, thank You!
    "The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all biomatter consumed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be devoured."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

heheheh yeh it helped. But i don't know about all these conversions, i ain't much of a crafty type person. I'm afraid i might destroy the model lol. How much do sprues cost?

ANd if i decide to leave the models, like the carnifex, does that mean i can't use like his bio weapons?. Same with the tyrant guard?

If possible can you give me a 1000 pt army list from some of those things i can get. Would spinefists be good against a SM player???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

86 (x7)

Originally posted by skizzy07@May 30 2004, 12:44
    heheheh yeh it helped. But i don't know about all these conversions, i ain't much of a crafty type person. I'm afraid i might destroy the model lol. How much do sprues cost?
    --- Use clippers, brute force or a metal saw to remove the old bioweapons. IIRC, clippers are good up to 2mm of metal, beyond that try a saw or forcible removal.

If the glue joint is particularly tough, the limb might break from somewhere other than the socket... This should be no problem, since You can just file it smooth and attach a new limb.

The main body should not break, unless You're having particularly rotten luck.

The sprues don't cost that much, 4$US (couldn't find a separate online-store for Asia-Pacific, forwarded to US Store).

ANd if i decide to leave the models, like the carnifex, does that mean i can't use like his bio weapons?. Same with the tyrant?
    --- On the Carnifex, yes, You can use it with 2xScyTal. However, in my personal experience, I haven't found CC-only Carnifexes very reliable... They're just too slow.

As for the Tyrant, it will in fact be illegal, since the old one has 3 Bioweapons, more than the current one can legally have.

If possible can you give me a 1000 pt army list from some of those things i can get.
    --- I'll mock up a quick list that I feel will be effective. But it will include the Battleforce, since I feel 16 Gaunts is the minimum effective. If You don't buy the BForce box, You'll need to buy two boxes of Gaunts.

Would spinefists be good against a SM player???
    --- Not really, but neither will be any other ranged Bioweapon. The point for fielding Spinegaunts isn't how good they're at shooting, just that they're cheap and You can thus field lots of them. If they cause any casualties with shooting, that's just an additional bonus...

The point of the huge mass of creatures is to send them into close combat. That will stop the enemy from shooting for a while, during which Your nastier creatures get to move forward to do the actual killling...
    "The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all biomatter consumed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be devoured."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SO your saying it's illegal if your model has an extra wep on it....But thats only the look it's not like your going to use them. With the carnifex my friend sed it doesnt matter cause they "shoot the bio things (Bstang) from their mouthes" and he sed its jsut the model.

But i guess you right thx..time to do some crafting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

86 (x7)

Originally posted by skizzy07@Jun 1 2004, 12:21
    SO your saying it's illegal if your model has an extra wep on it....But thats only the look it's not like your going to use them.
    --- Well, it's allowed to have extra stuff on the model for cosmetic purposes... But I'd say extra weapons are definitely stretching the limit. As long as Your opponent is clear on what they have and what they don't have, then no problem.

With the carnifex my friend sed it doesnt matter cause they "shoot the bio things (Bstang) from their mouthes" and he sed its jsut the model.
    --- Here, the problem is that the old Carnifex is clearly modeled with 2x ScyTal... But as I previously said, If You're clear with Your opponent, then no problem.

Although if You're planning to use them at tournaments and such, I'd definitely convert them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if your not playing over 1500pts then use the old carnifex as Old One Eye thats what I use mine for and you really dont have to conver maybe clip some of the extra scything talons you get leftover from the battle force and glue them so the top are pinchers otherwise it should be fine. He by himself is 164 but I personaly think he is worth it in an army since he soaks up hits like no other gets up after being killed on a 4+ and more importently gains back a wound every turn. Oh and in close combat he gets 2d6 pen and D6+1 attacks +2 when charging. All in all its a good deal you dont really have to modify and you get an awsome model.

Closed Thread