Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
OK basic question with 5th, in your opinions are Fire prisms still viable Tank hunters ?, scatter just seems to random for my liking. Their Anti-infantry and anti MEQ when linked is still great making them worth while-ish but just asking to focus on the tank hunting. And if they are not good tank hunters what are some viable options
Anyway thanks for your opinions and comments.
The base chance of hitting now is 33% flat (2 Hits on the scatter die).
That leaves 66% as scattering. Scatter range is 2d6 - bs = average of 3" scatter for the BS 4 Fire Prism. Ok, so now, lets assume that the Fire Prism is shooting at another Fire Prism. Since its still a hit if the hole of the blast is still one that hull of the target, that gives that a fair bit of that scattering is also straight hits. It is my estimate that on average the blast need to scatter atleast 2,5" away from the center to avoid a direct hit on a Fire Prism. That blast needs to be atleast 4" away to avoid weak hits.
if the 2d6 is 6 or less then it is a straight hit.
if the 2d6 is 7 then it is about 30% chance of hit and 70% of weak hit .
if the 2d6 is 8 then it is a weak hit .
if the 2d6 is more then 9, then its a miss (on the target... but not on others).
6 or less = 41,6 % direct hit
7 = 5% direct hit + 11,62% weak hit
8 = 13,8% weak hit
9 or more = miss
Summary for scattering:
Direct Hit 47%
Weak Hit 25%
If we add this to the original chance of hitting which is 33% we get that,
Direct Hit 64%
Weak Hit 17%
Ofcause this varies wildly based on the size of the target. Smaller tanks have become much more difficult to hit with blast weapons, while, wide Eldar tanks have become easier targets. But overall the fireprism have probably gained from this chance of the blast weapon rules, since we now always hit.
All of this is ofcause a good deal of guesswork, but I feel its a good estimate of targeting probability. If I wasnt busy with my masters thesis I would make a program to figure it out correctly, but that has to wait until Im done.
Feel free to rep me for my work :-)
When I was your age Pluto was a planet and Wraithlords had D-cannons! Ah, the good old days!
i think that perhaps they are still viable tank hunters, but whilst that has diminished slightly their anti infantry has increased dramatically. I feel thay can still hit tanks yes but not as much. all I know is if I see a monolith first thing I'm doing is linking my two prisms and giving it a dose of strength 10 Ap1 havoc.
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
This is actually a question i've had for a while. It's sort of relevant... Monoliths always use the base strength of a weapon when rolling for AP, so does a linked shot still have s10?
Yes, since it's a S10 shot. The monolith ignores bonuses like melta at half range and similar.