are harlequins any good really? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

are harlequins any good really?

hello eldar players. well i tried using the harlequins thinking i might slaughter something and not get slaugthered by long range. mybe i dont know how to execute them to well i just started using them and not very much blood touched the blades of my harlequins. so if anybody has any harlequins tactica or past expericence with them please let me know how to use them cause i tried using them and well not impressed with only a 5 plus inv. save. well any help would be very much thanked for.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Harlequins are great for four reasons, in my ideal setup:

1) Volume of attacks - with three attacks each, four on the charge, even their measly S3 is doable when assaulting anything T4 and less.

2) Rending - with the addition of Harlequin's Kisses (which you should always be taking), even T5 and power armoured troops (and to a degree, even tougher enemies) should rightly be fearing a Harlequins unit. Think about how feared Genestealers are - Harlequins are the Genestealers of the Eldar, and they do the job well. Rending plus volume of attacks spells doom for the opponent.

3) High intiative - due to their very high initiative, these space clowns are almost guaranteed to strike before whoever they hit, ensuring you can do maximum damage before having to roll saves. They aren't meant for long, drawn out combats, so you have to hit hard and hit fast.

4) Veil of Tears - the addition of a Shadowseer to the unit will really up their survivability outside of close combat, all but ensuring that your Harlequins don't get shot up (unless the opponent rolls well and you roll poorly for Fleet). Never leave home without one, I say.

In the long run, Harlequins are best suited to taking out lightly armoured foes, but due to their high number of quick Rending attacks, they are capable of taking out any enemy you throw them out. They are like a very, very sharp razor - you have to be very skilled with it, but when used correctly, they are the best tool for the job. Assuming your job is to slice up your enemies, anyways.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great advice by lost nemesis...I'd just like to add that you shouldn't forget about the two USR's that harlies have. Furious charge allows them to wound marines on the charge a lot more easily and hit & run lets em disengage and charge again (if they havent destroyed the unit already). Extremely useful. Also, if you can keep the harlies from destroying the units they charge, you can theoretically keep em in close combat most of the time if you use hit & run effectively.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x1)

If worst comes to worst, you can always put them in a Falcon to keep them alive. Even a Wave Serpent, with the new vehicle transport rules.

If you're going to footslog them, I recommend NOT using a Death Jester, despite the beautiful model, and fleeting every turn. The Shadowseer's Veil of Tears is an absolutely awesome power. Now, with the 4+ cover save with screening units, Harlies just got more survivable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

@Darkspawn: Why no death jester? Surely having the extra option of some softening up firepower before the charge, or the option to shoot something if you're out of range is a good thing?

Or do you mean that you can't realy use him effectively if you run each shooting phase?

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

Now that rending has changed harlies now have a niche role than "> everything" like in 4th.

Harlies are there to kill MC's and other high T stuff in CC (i'm looking at you, necrons). Even with a 5+ invulnerable save the fact is they will get a save against that carnifex, unlike either scorpians or banshees. T3 doesn't mean anything since most MC's are S6+ thus you aren't wany worse off than say, a marine. Harlies work as excellent hive tyrant killers - just don't send them against a c'tan.

Banshees cover rank and file MEQ's.

Scorpians cover GEQ's/orks.

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Daziel View Post
    @Darkspawn: Why no death jester? Surely having the extra option of some softening up firepower before the charge, or the option to shoot something if you're out of range is a good thing?

Or do you mean that you can't realy use him effectively if you run each shooting phase?
    Harlequins should almost always be running; they are only truly effective when in close combat, and the Death Jester won't be shooting at all if they run or if they are in combat. So, essentially, he's just wasted points on a pure combat unit. A shame, too, as I really love the model.

@Outsider - while it is true that Harlequins can be good against the big bads, they are still just as effective against the regular infantry, too, and stating that the other two combat squads are meant for those units while Harlequins are not is a bit too limiting on the uses of the Harlequins squad. People don't always take 3 Elite choices of 3 combat squads, nor do they always take one of each, so you can't really limit them that much. Harlequins are still a very solid all-around CC unit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

@Lost Nemesis - good point on the Death Jester - I am/was about to get one cos I also think the model is great - but you make a good argument about him being a waste of points. I may still get him due to the inherent fluffiness. Maybe it won't hurt so much in a unit of 10?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is a shame about the Death jester, it is a great model. I've found that once you relaise he's the weakest member of the troupe for what your intentions are he's always the first casualty when someone gets lucky with their sight check and so the chances of getting to use him as a gunner get even slimmer. Having the troupe in just the right position to not need the run, shoot and charge is not a common situation.
    Bleed Black Label S.D.M.F's!!

+ Reply to Thread