vectored engines-useless? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

vectored engines-useless?

A friend told me that in 5th ed. vectored engines were useless because if a skimmer was immobilised it would not crash. Is this true?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by lama View Post
    A friend told me that in 5th ed. vectored engines were useless because if a skimmer was immobilised it would not crash. Is this true?
    If the skimmer moves at the designated "flatout" speed, which I'm pretty sure only Fast skimmers can move at, then it is destroyed if it gets Immobilised. Flatout is over 12" and up to 24" for Fast skimmers. Reference page 71 of the 5th edition rulebook, under "Shooting at Skimmers."

Striving for the right Ravenscraig's Avatar
    In exile on Earth - currently in Glasgow, Scotland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by lama View Post
    I would say that vectored engines are far from useless. Under 5th, if a skimmer is moving flat out (ie above cruising speed), then any immobilised result counts as a crash and subsequent wreck. Vectored engines allow any crash due to being immoblised to be turned into a forced landing instead. That's a pretty handy card to have up your sleeve for a relatively small points outlay.

"The choice between good and evil, is made by all who live, with every single heartbeat ... ... ..."

Quote Originally Posted by ZenGamer View Post
    Simple wording. On a forum, any forum, wording is all one has to go by to determine tone and intent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As long as you don't move over 12" Yep they're fairly useless!
    However remember if you move over 12" you gain a 4+ cover save and then vectored Enigines saves your ass if you're unlucky

Wow i just talked myself in to taking them... lol

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

I would only take vectored engines on transports containing assault troops such as banshees or scorpions.

Transports carrying DAs, wraith guard or Fire dragons can do without as can falcons and prisms.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So the vectored engines do three things for your transport in the case of an immobilization result: they avoid a pinning test (which, let's be honest, you'll probably pass anyway), they save your transport (but it's immobilized...depending on your weaponry, this could be ok), they avoid emergency disembarkation (so you remain in your skimmer, to improve your chances of surviving). The last is probably the most valid reason to take the engines, but a destroyed skimmer gives cover/blocks los to disembarked passengers anyway, and a sitting duck skimmer can always explode, ruining the day for all of your troops inside (unlikely, but hey, it's a valid concern). Is it really worth the points of vectored engines for the relatively unlikely and only moderately worrisome scenario that you get an immobilized result? Maybe, but i don't think so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmn well i'm not taking them and i'm ok atm but in one game i lost my whole squad of 10 banshee's cause i didn't have it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two questions:
    1. How did you lose the banshees?
    2. Would it have been any better if the vehicle had been immobilised instead of destroyed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i thought that in a wreck all that happened now was that your units disembarks and may suffer pinning. but not be destroyed. I wouldnt take vectored engines though. Its hard to get an immobilised result nowadays and if u do all well.
    Traitors dine in heLL.

+ Reply to Thread