New ork Player - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New ork Player

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New ork Player

Lo all, after being through loads of armies and amassing quite a large but pointless collection of everything from Tau BattleSuits to Noise Marines to Terminator Chaplains to Inquisitors I have decided to sell it all and concentrate on my favourite army....ORKS!

When I first started playing, my opponents tried to put me off as they believed Orks just wouldn't win unless you completely overwhelmed your opponent in numbers and then what sort of battle is that to fight? But I've tried almost every other army and I dont enjoy them as much!

Anyway, before this gets too long! here is what I have got so far from my old stuff plus I bought a few new things

basic warboss
    warboss w/ attack squig
    Bigmek w/ SAG
    Weird Boy
    13 nobz
    40 boyz
    10 lootas
    runtherder
    17 grots
    5 tank bustas
    3 bomb squiqs
    1 truk
    1 buggy
    3 deffcopters
    3 warbikes
    Lemun Russ (mk2) - which I kind of crazily paid £25 for just to turn it into a cool looking looted vehicle!

So yeah, I know it needs fleshing out with more boyz and certainly more truks...possibly some kommandos as well.

I've also got to think of a good orky name and paint scheme!

So really I was saying Yo to all you sensible people who play as the best race in da universe!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good to know that somebody else has decided to join the ork hordes, the fungus beer is over to the left. *points to the right with a glazed look on his face*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tinky View Post
    When I first started playing, my opponents tried to put me off as they believed Orks just wouldn't win unless you completely overwhelmed your opponent in numbers and then what sort of battle is that to fight? But I've tried almost every other army and I dont enjoy them as much!
    Isn't that like saying don't play Tau because they have to outshoot and outmaneuver their enemy in order to win? Or like saying the only way Marines can win is if they use their tactical flexibility to engage the enemy on unfair grounds? Or saying Dark Eldar have to be sneaky? Besides, orks are a truly adaptable army. There are many different army variants that are all effective in their own way. The Green Tide is one of the more popular army types, but it is hardly the only one that will work. So, I say respond in a truly orky fashion. Headbutt the naysayers in the face and laugh as their armies are ground under the ironshod boots of your orks, the wheels of your trukks, or the unbelievable dakka your army has the option of mustering.
    Increasing the diversity of the 40k universe through the destruction of Space Marines, one army at a time...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the welcome JackalLegion!

Quote Originally Posted by Zarak View Post
    Isn't that like saying don't play Tau because they have to outshoot and outmaneuver their enemy in order to win? Or like saying the only way Marines can win is if they use their tactical flexibility to engage the enemy on unfair grounds? Or saying Dark Eldar have to be sneaky? Besides, orks are a truly adaptable army. There are many different army variants that are all effective in their own way. The Green Tide is one of the more popular army types, but it is hardly the only one that will work. So, I say respond in a truly orky fashion. Headbutt the naysayers in the face and laugh as their armies are ground under the ironshod boots of your orks, the wheels of your trukks, or the unbelievable dakka your army has the option of mustering.
    They see it as a game of two ways to go.

1. I take in a green horde....I'm in CC with most of their army, that which I'm not chopping up can't shoot me. Its then several rounds of CC and even if they win that I still have enough boyz to start "wave two".

2. I try to be more inventive with the army and by inventive I mean get my open topped vehicles smeared across the battlefield and my smaller squads raked with bolter fire or something.

Neither is a particularly interesting match and the outcome is decided.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too many people fall under the false impression that any battle can be decided before the game begins. I have probably won a greater percentage of games where the odds were against me then I have won with the odds in my favor, simply because opponents who are sure they will win tend to make more mistakes. I have no experience with Speed Freaks, but I have had experience with fast fragile armies (since I am a Dark Eldar player) and I have been able to rip apart a decent number of horde armies in my time, despite the fact that everyone thought that the horde armies where the better bet. Likewise, I have seen horde armies use complex and entertaining tactics to outsmart opponents, rather then just relying on its sheer numbers. The horde army is a little more forgiving and the fast army has a higher potential of obliterating your opponent, but both are viable choices and neither are a sure bet to win with (which makes for a boring game).
    Last edited by Zarak; August 4th, 2008 at 18:49.
    Increasing the diversity of the 40k universe through the destruction of Space Marines, one army at a time...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

boyz, trukks or both

To put it simply, you need more boyz, trukks or both.

If money is a concern, you could sell one of the warbosses. I've never needed more than one warboss in a list. Just be sure the warboss you keep has a powerklaw.

40 boyz isn't enough for a 'on foot list'. You might want to brace yourself, but your average footslogging list needs somewhere between 80-100 boyz in it, broken into 3-5 squads of 20-30. Never use anything less than 20 boyz in a unit on foot, or they die really quickly. Also, be sure every unit has a nob with a powerklaw and preferrably 2-3 special weapons and a bosspole.

For a trukk list, you'll need at least 44 boyz and 4 nobz (you could use nobz as regular boyz for this), or 33 boyz and 11-13 nobz (3 units of boyz and 1 unit of nobz, all in trukks). Of course, you'll also need at least 3 more trukks. I actually wouldn't use more than 4 trukks, or you'll have too many kill points in the list.

You could also use 2-3 trukks and 2-3 units of boyz on foot, but you'll still need around 20 more boyz to fill out the list. With 5th edition, you really need at least four good troop choices, and grotts don't count towards this. You need troop choices that can hold objectives, and not get wiped out easily.

The rest of the units generally need a little more of everything in order to last long. 10 lootas is fine, but if you can get it up to 13 that's better (you could even do it by attaching 3 meks instead of lootas). You could really use 4-5 more tankbustas, one of them a nob with a bosspole (I don't give these guys powerklaws though, the rokkits are better). You really need at least 2 more deffkoptas, or they'll run after a single casualty, and 3 more bikes, one of them a nob with a powerklaw and bosspole.

I'd actually go a step further, and use the Leman Russ as a battlewagon. I do it all the time. For the points, it's a lot more reliable than a looted wagon.

In any case, I'd first decide if you want a footslogging or speed freaks army, sell the things you don't want/need, and then get a little more of everything.

Good luck!
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the suggestions Grax!

Zarak......its probably my lack of ability I would think. I mean I've probably only won 5 matches out of 30 or so against these people. Though some of them were somewhat stacked against me, I remember a match where I had to run 72" across the battlefield to reach their front lines! There was another where I had an SM person start right next to me, he just lined up 20 marines on a ridge and let rip with 20 bolters oh yeah and also double whirlwinded me at the same time.

Still, I've persuaded them to let me have one last crack with the greenskins and they;ve agreed that even if I take a horde that, we'll still play and see how much fun it is.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Tinky View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions Grax!

Zarak......its probably my lack of ability I would think. I mean I've probably only won 5 matches out of 30 or so against these people. Though some of them were somewhat stacked against me, I remember a match where I had to run 72" across the battlefield to reach their front lines! There was another where I had an SM person start right next to me, he just lined up 20 marines on a ridge and let rip with 20 bolters oh yeah and also double whirlwinded me at the same time.

Still, I've persuaded them to let me have one last crack with the greenskins and they;ve agreed that even if I take a horde that, we'll still play and see how much fun it is.

One last crack? What's with the people you play against? No offense, but they sound like jerks. When I first started, I lost 80-90% of my games, but people never stopped being supportive.

On that note, what's with the games you're playing? If the marines started right on top of you, I assume it was an Apocalypse game, as that's the only mission where that happens. A 72in march is ridiculous! That's longer than most tables.

Honestly, I think that contributes more to your difficulties. It's not the ork armies, but the ridiculous home brewed scenarios that you're playing, which overwhelmingly favor 'shooty' armies rather than close combat focused ones. I'd try and arrange a few standard games, out of the book. They're balanced and favor no army.
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well I know the two I pay against, spent several years playing against eachother so I guess I came in when they were trying to lift the boredom of doing the same old matches picking the same old armies and knowing the same old tactics.

The 72" is admitedly a bit of a rediculous one but it was just to see that whether a 1000points of SM could kill 3000points of Orks before I got to him.

I did a similar thing where I had 2500 Nids and one of them had 1000 IG and the other had 1500 SM, but the SM couldnt come on till turn 3. It was kinda like a battered IG group holding off till SMs could drop in and save them!

and it wasnt an apocolypse game no, think it was 1500. it was a 3v3, tho i guess we didnt really think of the size needed to deploy two armies nearer than usual! Still, I fluffed it up majorly anyway as I wasn't really thinking and deployed my grots BEHIND my boyz.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, whatever happens, don't let them tell you to change YOUR army just because they are bored. It is up to them to change their own armies if they want to try new tactics and battles. At the end of the day, when picking an army, the only opinion that matters should be yours and yours alone. Picking an army that someone else wants you to pick will cost you time and money for somebody else's happiness. I don't know about you, but I hardly have enough time and money to work on the stuff I, myself, want to work on, let alone the things that others want me to do. Also, don't let any defeats discourage you. The best players often had to suffer defeat after defeat before mastering their army. In fact, I belielve you learn more from a loss then you do from a win. That was the problem with many Dark Eldar players. Being such a complex army to use, many new players would give up after losing constantly. However, those that bite the bullet and learn from their losses can become practically unbeatable. Apart from tactics, and winning and losing, it does sound like you are a good sport to play against, and that is the most important thing of all, especially with orks. What armies do you face most? You mentioned SM and IG. Any others?
    Last edited by Zarak; August 5th, 2008 at 17:38.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast