Da Humie Stompa - dem Ork Way (Orc playstyle thread) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Da Humie Stompa - dem Ork Way (Orc playstyle thread)

Hello,

I am contemplating starting a second army in WH40K, and I have my eyes on SM, CSM and most importantly, Da Green Unz. I have seen a battle between Orks and IG, and to be honest, it was pretty boring, the Orks running across the battlefield and Guards trying to puff at them with their weaponry.

Not Da Mighty Green Way, Me Thinks!

So I would like to ask you, Nobz, how do ya stomp dem humies and weak chaos boys and aliens.

The way I see it, one can either play the Green Tide, or load his boyz in trukks and speed towards the enemy. Are there any other effective tactics? How do the Orks "play & feel"?

If you could share information on the expensiveness and tediousness of collecting and painting and Orks army, that would be greatly appreciated as well, but just the above will do. Many thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You kinda hit it on the head, when you say either a Green Tide or a Speed Freek list is the way you usually see orks run. Although, I keep hearing more and more posters here say they run a list with some footslogging orks for staying power and some trukk boyz for capturing objectives.

Myself, I run a Green Tide style army. 150+ models in any game above 1500 points.

Orks are, in my opinion, one of the most oddly playing armies out there. I've played literally every other army out there save guard and dh. Orks have loads of good units, lots of choice, good troops. They can be close combat monsters, shooty, fast, durable. They have a little of everything and fun special rules.

In practice, be prepared to lose men (boyz, actually). Everyone else will almost always strike before you. Everyone else (almost) can shoot better that you (you will still out shoot them). You have worse armor than anyone save 'nids and some of dem shrimpy eldar boyz. To compensate, most of your units are fearless until they get to less than 11. You have 2 base attacks for regular troops. Even shootas. You also will have lots of models.

Even with trukk boyz, you will still have lots more models than your typical marine force. I've been building a CSM list that has about 60+ models in it and an Eldar exodite list that has around 50, and I feel like I'm missing some. I have 200+ infantry models.

Painting them was actually fun. I enjoy putting together models and painting though. If you don't like these steps, go do another army. Seriously. Orks require that you have some patience. I took my boyz on vacation and got all the boyz painted working 12-16 hours a day for 2 weeks. No rest days. That's over 170 hours to do all the painting. That's just the painting. If you listen to music and do assembly line style, it's not bad. Also, you have to remember when you're painting 200+ models that they only have to be the level of quality that you are satisfied with. Painting that many boyz to pro level would be a nightmare. However, even a basic paint job on so many models will look impressive when arrayed across the field.

For more detailed answers to you questions, you can look in this board where the mighty lords of the orks come and answer such questions (you, however, got my rant first).
    I'm trying to catalog every song with a reference to yetis or Sasquatch. Please help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Tau playing roomate usually says things along the lines of:

"GAH! I keep forgetting how well you shoot at me!"
    Followed by "Aw crap! There's nothing I can do once we're in close combat!"
    and then "MOTHER F! I HATE THAT FREAKING SHOKK ATTACK GUN!"
    and finally "I don't get it.. I swear I killed so many of your boyz.. but there's still so many left!"

I don't play a specific army type, I've just thrown in whatever seemed fun as I expand my army. I'm also only at about 750 points. But what I love is that I have a feasible army ( at least at a casual level) that has so much fun in it. From teleporting grotz into enemy armor to randomly turning a Tau Crises suit into a squig on turn 1, the game never feels like I'm just following my usual routine and hoping to win.

That being said, I end up blowing the hell out of myself as often as not, but it's still fun to do!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

teleporting snotlings, not grots =) lol smaller greenies all looks the same sometimes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by coldblooded3k View Post
    teleporting snotlings, not grots =)
    The (free) Macharian Crusade Book by Bell of Lost Souls features the Masta Blasta HQ character that lets you even teleport bomb squigs into your enemies. This is so orky. I mean, no representant of any other race would consider it a wise idea to teleport a creature into another one, but for Orkz that's where the phun is just about to start.
    "Fear not and look up to the sky for salvation, for we have entered orbit."
    Blood Angels 2nd Grail Guard Company

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never get tired of the reaction on a good friends face when I play his CSM army and he sets up his deployed army within the space of less than a couple of minutes and then I spend 10 minutes + positioning my Ork army!! Particularly when he asks, oh you don't seem to have many boyz then, at which point I have to point to a table nearby with 3 truck squads worth of boyz on it! Priceless, its worthy of a mastercard advert!

I tend to run a mixed list. 2-3 trucks to do objectives and keep the opponent busy and then a couple of large shoota squads for mass fire and clean up with some supporting fire if I have room. Because I don't like walkers and battlewagons/grots are too expensive (until January anyway) it does restrict what you can have in your army besides typical troops. Hoping to continue adding to my horde with 6-9 Big Gunz batteries, imagine the look on my friends face then!

Painting orks = pain, misery, suffering! Full stop! I hate painting and I'm not that good, but having to sit down even with music on to paint over 100+ boyz is depressing sometimes! Thankfully my friend who can paint gorgeous looking vehicles in less than 4 hours is doing my vehicles for it, trucks and buggies in exchange for cash. If you have a friend like this, I suggest you hire his services to ease the pain!

Also I reccomend the ARMY PAINTER QUICKSHADE varnish shader. I use this and believe me not only does it speed things up, your army looks really good when your boyz mass up. I've painted a 12 man truck squad and a 25 man shoota squad by simply basing in sand, spraying black, base coating (4-5 colours or so) and then dipping in the quickshade and they look great! What matey said above is true, pro painting troops is time consuming and painful, but using the dipping method helps turn a tide of 100 boyz into an impressive looking force!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

Orks are fun to play. They often fill a deployment zone and rapidly fill the rest of the table.

Expect other players to complain. "Oh hurry up John, you take so long to move!" will come up often. At least for a horde list. Your mates will be a little frustrated at the ammount of green you set up. They are also quite often scared. I played a 1000 point game with 140 ish models. The opponent didn't think he could kill that many in 5 turns. (In fact he did as the game was rolled out to 7 turns...)

Painting. Take your time. Paint 10 at a time. I painted 60 grots in 16 hours to a reasonable standard. I got RSI, my hand still cramps up a couple of weeks later. I don't reccomend that. Paint them until your happy and stick to the 3 colour rule. Any more will just be torture, unless your playing nob warbikers heavy lists.

As for where to start get lots of boys. I have 120 straight boys but I had 140. 20 are now lootas, burnas, big meks and others, converted up later so I had the types of unit I needed. After all you can always change them later. I believe many of us will be making stormboys out of the black reach sets. I know I am.
    W/D/L Ork Tide 22/1/14

Click here to feed me some squigs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black reach will only really provide us with plastic Deffkoptas which will be good fun. Though I already have 6 bikes and 3 buggies so filling up the fast attack slot will be tricky without resorting to putting all 3 buggies into one squadron....oh well never mind.

I'm more interested in fast forwarding time to January where plastic grots and battlewagons come in. That will be priceless. A battlewagon that doesn't cost £40+ to buy online and grots that don't cost £5 for 4!! I guarantee I'll be using grots in my Ork army when the plastics are out!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

5th edition

There's also bike lists, although many group them in with speed freaks. Grot lists also exist, but it's really just a variation of horde. Also, grot lists can't win in any game over 1000 points. ^_^

Before 5th edition, I would have listed another type of basic ork army: walker lists, with 2 dreads, 9 killa kans, lootas, and big meks with force fields.

While that's certainly still possible, 5th edition rules focus heavily on claiming objectives, and only non-vehicle troops can claim them. This requires you to focus on one or more of the following units: boyz on foot, boyz in a trukk, grots, nobz in a trukk, meganobz in a trukk, warbikes, or nob bikers.

Besides boyz and grots, all those choices also require a specific type of HQ in order to use them as troops. Still, that's just as many choices as other armies, but the difference is there's no way to really significantly change the way they're fielded or played, and still keep them effective.

Like it or not, almost all effective lists revolve around boyz, and there's only three effective ways to play them (although you can choose between shoota and slugga):

1. 20-30 on foot, with 2-3 special weapons and a nob with a powerklaw and bosspole.

2. 12 with a nob, powerklaw and bosspole, in a trukk with a ram.

3. 20 in a battlewagon, with a nob, powerklaw and bosspole. You can give them special weapons if you like.

The third is a split between footsloggers and speed freaks, and it's more of a personal favorite, but I've found it works very well, as long as points aren't a major concern.

Ultimately, there's really only five broad strategies when playing 40k:

1. Mechanized. Ride vehicles in, using speed to get superior positioning.

2. Walk/run. Move in on foot. It isn't fancy, but it's cheap, which means you can field more units.

3. Let them come to you, shooting them all the way. With 12-18 inch range on their basic guns, this generally isn't a viable option for orks.

4. Drop on their heads. Infiltrating and deep striking is great for moving your men into position, although it can be a bit random, and potentially end disastrously.

5. A mixture of one or more of the strategies. Some lists are balanced, and others have balanced troops, that can work well in any situation. These lists generally do well no matter what the mission is, but they're also the easiest to overwhelm with one of the other four strategies.

If we assign an ork army type to each play style, we get:

1. Speed freaks, including trukk and biker lists.

2. Footsloggers.

3. Footslogger/Walker lists. Most of the points in these armies are spent on shoota boyz, kustom force fields, lootas, and kans.

4. Kommandos and Storm boyz. I generally don't deep strike with storm boyz (it negates most of the point of using jump pack troops, and they're sitting ducks that first round), but they move fast enough to essentially be deep striking. These lists have declined in popularity with 5th edition, since none of them can claim objectives. These lists generally have to annihilate their opponents in order to win most matches.

5. There are no 'perfectly balanced' ork troops, so balanced lists generally have a little of everything. Luckily, with orks, this is definitely possible.

Like it or not, one way or the other, you'll almost certianly have to use either trukks, bikes, or large hordes of boyz if you want to win. That's just the way the army is played.
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by farmergiles65 View Post
    I never get tired of the reaction on a good friends face when I play his CSM army and he sets up his deployed army within the space of less than a couple of minutes and then I spend 10 minutes + positioning my Ork army!! Particularly when he asks, oh you don't seem to have many boyz then, at which point I have to point to a table nearby with 3 truck squads worth of boyz on it! Priceless, its worthy of a mastercard advert!

I tend to run a mixed list. 2-3 trucks to do objectives and keep the opponent busy and then a couple of large shoota squads for mass fire and clean up with some supporting fire if I have room. Because I don't like walkers and battlewagons/grots are too expensive (until January anyway) it does restrict what you can have in your army besides typical troops. Hoping to continue adding to my horde with 6-9 Big Gunz batteries, imagine the look on my friends face then!

Painting orks = pain, misery, suffering! Full stop! I hate painting and I'm not that good, but having to sit down even with music on to paint over 100+ boyz is depressing sometimes! Thankfully my friend who can paint gorgeous looking vehicles in less than 4 hours is doing my vehicles for it, trucks and buggies in exchange for cash. If you have a friend like this, I suggest you hire his services to ease the pain!

Also I reccomend the ARMY PAINTER QUICKSHADE varnish shader. I use this and believe me not only does it speed things up, your army looks really good when your boyz mass up. I've painted a 12 man truck squad and a 25 man shoota squad by simply basing in sand, spraying black, base coating (4-5 colours or so) and then dipping in the quickshade and they look great! What matey said above is true, pro painting troops is time consuming and painful, but using the dipping method helps turn a tide of 100 boyz into an impressive looking force!
    Unfortunately I don't know of anyone offering such service, and even if I did, I'd rather buy more models than spend money on painting. Anyway, thanks for all the tips!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast