Beware the Res Orb range in 5th Ed assault! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beware the Res Orb range in 5th Ed assault!

Was playing a small game last week with my Marines against a friend's Necrons. Just as I might have done with my 'crons, he had two large warrior units strung out with an unattached Res Orb Lord loitering around between the two conga lines to provide coverage to both units.

However...

...along one flank flies my jump pack marshal, assaulting one of the warrior units from the far end. After the new countercharge pile-in move, the warriors were outside of Res Orb range (much to the delight of the marshal and his choppy lightning claws!).

Keep the new pile-in move in mind. The conga line coverage method ain't what it used to be! To provide assault coverage, the Orb really has to start out more like 6" from the middle of the unit rather than the end.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

You Can't Kill the Metal Stabby_McGee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    222 (x3)

Huh... I'm not sure why your friend would keep his Lord unattached now that there is no target priority. Seems really risky.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x5)

just another reason why I hate res orbs.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

102 (x5)

Bah, sounds like a noobish mistake. My squads are only 10 strong now, and usually 3 squads moving 3 models deep...you assault me from anywhere and my lord's in the middle (and attached to the center squad btw)...cover for 30 warriors of res orbs...he was just strung out...but VERY smart move on your part!
    "There is only do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

The Love Muffin [Black] Katalyst's Avatar
    I'm startin' the chainsaw and runnin' down the line!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

112 (x5)

Thats nothing new. With 4th edition pile in moves, it was an old anti Necron tactic. Since models firing through their own squads don't cause cover saves, Necron players can setup in smaller rows and still be within res orb range.

Quote Originally Posted by gingerninja View Post
    Dear god.... that is a bit scary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    Not only does he have a mighty beard, but he also mentioned nakidity in his post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    134 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Stabby_McGee View Post
    Huh... I'm not sure why your friend would keep his Lord unattached now that there is no target priority. Seems really risky.
    Attaching the Lord was definitely a mistake. But it seems Frank's friend was covering two units. Even if he attached the Lord to one, the other could be assaulted and suffer just the same.

Quote Originally Posted by [Black] Katalyst View Post
    Thats nothing new. With 4th edition pile in moves, it was an old anti Necron tactic. Since models firing through their own squads don't cause cover saves, Necron players can setup in smaller rows and still be within res orb range.

The 4th edition Pile-In move took place at the end of combat, meaning the conga-lines would still have coverage (RO range is determined at 'death'). Now, in 5th, the defender-react move takes place before combat, pulling units out of range of an unattached Lord. This is definitely something to consider for Necron players that use spread-out formations. Personally, I'm not a fan of exploitive formation like those.
    Karmoon: "well.. any kore = good kore" 12:35pm PST 23 May 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My friend was regretting not attaching the Lord to one of the units, but if he had, I would have just hit the other one. Can't really take too much credit for being clever. It was more a happy accident, like, "wow, look what happened!" Next time I play my Necrons, I'll try to remember to bunch them up a bit more, or as gauss_storm says, just don't bother with the orb.

Whatever the case may be: when it gets hit, it takes a six-inch trip!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

or better he could use a tomb spider to help him out in case his warriors wil be out of range

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

102 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Cp_Morgan View Post
    or better he could use a tomb spider to help him out in case his warriors wil be out of range
    Tomb spyder doesn't grant res orb rules...especially since the original attack was talking about No Save CC weaponry!

Also as stated above, I tend not to spread out so far to get pulled away like this. But if the army I'm facing has tons of template weaponry...I have to reconsider my clusters
    Last edited by Dark Trainer; August 8th, 2008 at 16:27.
    "There is only do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am sorry mate now i just read the codex and i found out that i made a mistake. Sorry i again if i mislead you frank!

+ Reply to Thread