Arc of fire, again. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Arc of fire, again.

Hi all,
    Just read this in the Dark Angels FAQ thought that it may be interesting to regards to Raider/Ravager weaponry.

Q. What is the arc of fire of:
    • Any weapon mounted on a Drop Pod?
    • A Rhinos storm bolter?
    • A pintle- mounted/additional storm bolter?

A. 360 degrees in all cases. These weapons are all mounted on rotating structures, that allow them to be fired all around.

Now does a Raider/Ravager have weapons mounted on rotating structures like pintle mounted ones?
    Certainly does, so this in my eyes gives precedence to having 360 coverage to arc of fire from any pin mounted weaponry.

Anybody see this differently?

In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually queried a red shirt about this very thing on saturday, and you're pretty much spot on about what he said. I asked due to the fact that my ravager was immobilized, but since they're on pins or wtvr, they have a 360 arc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    159 (x5)

Although in this edition it doesn't matter as much because skimmers now block LOS including their own LOS. which knocks out 180 degrees of sight.

Still i believe it can only aim until the warrior can no longer stand behind the gun
    Caps-Lock, its like cruise-control for AWESOMENESS!
    Dear Game Developer,
    Rock is cheese, Paper is just fine
    Signed Scissors.

WWP and other Dark Eldar how to
    http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=149386

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Hi mate,
    I see what you mean ‘modelling wise’ by saying that if you can’t stand behind the gun but it does seem to conflict with the inference that any ‘pinned’ weapon has a 360 degree arc of fire.

Interesting.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Slaaneshi Battle Barge CO
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    127 (x5)

I guess I'm good to go, then, as all of my Raider and Ravager guns are magnetized to the bottom of the boats. The way I look at it, DE should have sufficient technology to not need a gunner standing behind every gun.

Besides, we need the deckspace for slaves.
    "Is Archon Braigh-Dee going to have to choke a Wych?

Courtesy of Wicky: D.C.S.S.E.P.C.I.C.B.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In cases, when the model is made by the standard GW instructions, the gun is directly manned from behind and there is little chance the gunner would be able to squeeze into the space in the plow structure to fire at anything much more than 90° from straight ahead.

I suppose you could make it a house rule but he should shoot at below BS to simulate the gunner taking a pot shot and not properly aiming.
    Last edited by Triphinius; August 9th, 2008 at 17:10. Reason: I made a huge and terrible error

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x6)

This is very interesting question and unfortunately our codex doesn't say how its mounted. I hate looking at a model and then try defining what I see as it tends to be too subjective or biased. So, with the remaining 4th ed. minimalist approach I would say that all 3 guns do not rotate 360 degrees (somehow I cannot picture the side gun swivelling across the hull to fire on something on the other side. So with that in mind I have always maintained:

The front gun can swivel 180 degrees approximately (can target anything in front).

The side guns have the radius as pictured in sponson arc #1 where it looks to be a little more than just back to front (a little more than 180 degrees as well).

So until our next codex tells us how our mounted weapons are attached I am going by this example. If my ravager is immobilized then all 3 weapons can fire at anything in front of it but any target that is definitely on one side of the ravager or the other the most I will be able to point will be 2 guns, possibly even 1 if the target is too far behind for the front gun to see (since we are measuring line of sight from the gunner). If the gunner model can't see over the hull on the other side, then that will be a problem as well as the tail will definitely block his view.

Minimalist approach until the next dex is my intention but don't get me wrong, I would love to have a 360 degree field of fire.
    "On a hunch, I melted them down and inhaled the fumes and read the dark eldar codex again, AND FOUND A BUNCH OF NEW RULES HIDDEN BEHIND THE OTHER WORDS..." [Gardeth on modelling & interpreting the DE Codex]

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    367 (x5)

I agree with KwiKwag on this. That is how I have been playing my Ravagers for a while.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

434 (x8)

Hi again,
    I think that the Dark Angels FAQ has set a precident that Dark Eldar may follow in the future but its really not conclusive enough to take to a tournament and say "Hey this weapons swivels 360, so cop that!"

Like others have said, its just not stated what they are but its logical to assume that they are pintle mounted and pintle mounted weapons in some Codex's have 360 degree freedom.

But if we are all going to play it as modelled then how would you play Vect's side gunners, they have extremely flexible triple jointed arms holding their distintergrators that in real life could shoot inside out if needed. Why would anyone class Vect's weapons as any different to a Ravagers in regards to arc of fire?

Keeping a closed mind with the minimalist approach does not seem to be the way forward if we consider what 'pintle mounted' now means - no offense guys.

Cheers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    204 (x6)

IDK wicky, Vect's side guns also look like sponsons, as they would have to shoot through the slave girls & the dais to hit a target on the opposite side of the vehicle.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast