Help Me Pick a Forgeworld Model - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help Me Pick a Forgeworld Model

In the next couple of months I'm expecting a decent bonus from work. I'd like to round out my Hive Fleet with one of the monstrosities over at Forgeworld. I won't be able to afford a Heirophant or a Harridan, so those are out. I can build my own brood nest, spore chimney and capillary towers.

So my choices are either a Trygon, Barbed Heirodule, Scythed Heirodule or two Malanthropes (pricing is similar on two, compared to the others). I am leaning towards one of the Heirodules (not sure which one though) as they're basically a heavier version of the Carnifex. The Trygon is maybe a close second, with the Malanthropes right behind. These are my current thoughts, but since my purchase is several months off I'd like some other opinions so I can mull it over and make a nice, informed decision. I have all the rules for these models, but have never used any of them.

Farseer Faolain of Craftworld Tuathana
    Overlord of Hive Fleet Shoggoth
    See my projects and tutorials at: http://awakeningynnead.blogspot.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

I rather like the Barbe Heirodule for games of Apocalypse. It's cannons really help against the large groups of MEQs that get seen and since you get the option of deepstriking it with one of the formations it's very helpful to put it behind enemy tanks and can easily take them out if you need to. Also just the fact that you have this huge creature lumbering across the field toward your opponent means alot of fire will get directed toward it and away from you other things.

I've used it a few times and it is really hard for the opponent to kill when they don't know that it's coming. Even when they do it usually makes up it's points in the units that don't die because of the fire directed at it instead of your other units.

Good luck with whatever model you choose to purchase.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    156 (x3)

Game-wise it's tough to beat a Barbed Heirodule. Gives us some much needed shooting firepower.

If you want a good looking model than go with the trygon. The downside is it's a one-trick pony that dies pretty quickly after it's deployed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    189 (x8)

The barbed hierodule gives you the most bang for your buck, in apocalypse it's an absolute tankkiller thanks to it's high amount of Str10 shots.
    The scythed hierodule is also a pretty nice choice, an AP3 helsltorm template to melt those kesky SM away and it comes with a considerable amount of attacks but it's often best to take the scythed only when you already have a barbed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x7)

Ive only used the Barbed Hierodule in two games but I can tell you now, it rocks!

The first game was against 2500points of eldar. He took out 3 wraithlords, 7 guardians, 8 harlequins and 6 fire dragons. He was shot at by Wraithlords, assaulted by two units of 10 guardians and 10 harlequins and still stood at the end of the game.

The second game, against 2500 points of black templars. First turn he took out a dreadnaught and a predator. Second round a land raider. Third round he missed everything, fourth round he killed a rhino and was brought down by a plane (dunno which one)

As you can tell, he's a beast and if used right can deal well over his own points in damage. These games were played using IA4 rules where he had structure points, I dunno if he's as survivable now he has wounds instead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it depends realy on what your looking to use them for. in apocalypse the trygon can be an absolute beast. deepstriking under anything (it dosent matter where it comes up, it never gets destroyed unless it depstrikes right into a super heavy) means it can b in combat from word go, and brings with it 2 ravner broods. the data sheet also allows another unit to 'follow' the trygon on the next turn, from the point where it entered the table (think broodlord and genestealers)

on the other hand, a barbed hirodule can take down all enemy armour, even titans, who needs a hierophant? also given its deep strike ability getting into rear armour, it can be nigh on unstopable. personaly, i dont think a barbed needs to be deep striked, it has enough shots at s10 and has a long range, keep it in ur lines and use it to take down super heavies or draw enemy fire.

the data sheet isnt 2 specific on the hirodules that u can deepstrike, but im assuming it means both variants, s in this case, the sythed can be a bugger to enemy infantry (and tanks if it gets close enough)

malanthropes totaly arent worth it. they count as hq choices in standard games, and are meant for combat, a role which is filled by a hive tyrant alot better.

hope that helps narrow down the list in your mind
    Last edited by Skagrot; August 8th, 2008 at 17:44.
    W/D/L
    Hive Fleet Penance - 3500 Points - 4/1/0
    Waaaaaaagh Skagtrot (40k Orks) - In Progress
    Dinhar Whitestar's Dragon Host (H.E) - 2000 Points

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

I think it depends on what you want the most out of this model. I have those Hierodule models and the Trygon. From the point of view of which is the best model the Trygon is by far the best. The trygon was released after most of the others and it has the best detail. As far as I can tell the person who sculpts thier Tyranids at FW has gotten much better at it. It also comes with way more parts and the limbs can be positioned as you like. The Hierodules have to have thier limbs set in one position.

The Trygon also has more of the newer and more slick design to it. The Hierodules do look good but they aren't as well sculpted as the Trygon. If you want something that wins games I would say the Barbed Hierodule is probably the best, unless you really like assaulting. Then the Scythed Hierodule would be best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    159 (x5)

I know you didn't mention it, but i'll leave that more to oversight than you not really wanting it...

I say the winged hive tyrant. I'm not sure on the prices of the others but i'd say that the WHT is about the same as a malenthrope and is by far my favorite of the set (although it is also the only one i own). You can use it in either apoc or regular games and it really turns heads. Plus it is an awesome model that can be arranged into many dynamic poses

Easily my favorite model in my collection
    Caps-Lock, its like cruise-control for AWESOMENESS!
    Dear Game Developer,
    Rock is cheese, Paper is just fine
    Signed Scissors.

WWP and other Dark Eldar how to
    http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=149386

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Splata View Post
    I know you didn't mention it, but i'll leave that more to oversight than you not really wanting it...

I say the winged hive tyrant. I'm not sure on the prices of the others but i'd say that the WHT is about the same as a malenthrope and is by far my favorite of the set (although it is also the only one i own). You can use it in either apoc or regular games and it really turns heads. Plus it is an awesome model that can be arranged into many dynamic poses

Easily my favorite model in my collection
    I did think of it, but I am planning on converting my own. It is an impressive model, and I agree that it has a major advantage of being useable in all games, not just Apocalypse.

Thanks for the responses, everyone. It's down to the Trygon or Heirodule. The Malanthrope will wait until later. I still have a few months until I get my bonus anyway.

On a sidenote, when the Trygon deep strikes, and the brood follows, does the brood count as deep striking for purposes of assault, or are they considered entering the board edge and can assault when they arrive?
    Farseer Faolain of Craftworld Tuathana
    Overlord of Hive Fleet Shoggoth
    See my projects and tutorials at: http://awakeningynnead.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Faolain View Post

On a sidenote, when the Trygon deep strikes, and the brood follows, does the brood count as deep striking for purposes of assault, or are they considered entering the board edge and can assault when they arrive?

i dont know off the top of my head, but id asume that they count as entering from a board edge and are able to asault, due to the fact that you dont have to roll for them to arive, or roll for scatter as you do with deepstrike.
    W/D/L
    Hive Fleet Penance - 3500 Points - 4/1/0
    Waaaaaaagh Skagtrot (40k Orks) - In Progress
    Dinhar Whitestar's Dragon Host (H.E) - 2000 Points

+ Reply to Thread