Need tactics to mash my friend's Orks into the ground. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need tactics to mash my friend's Orks into the ground.

My friend and I just started up 40k and he picked Orks and I am of course Necrons. Just today however I learned that Orks are particularly nasty against Necrons because of their swarms and run and powerklaws and uhhh run =(.

Naturally I need to mash my friends face in and of course I'm looking to tailor a list to beat him . So any good models and tactics you guys recomend to take down the nasty Orks.

Oh and btw since we just started out all I have is a box of warriors and all he has is a box of boyz so I have no clue where his army is going or mind. So feel free to reccomend anything to beat him. I think my friend might be going for the average mass infantry with some trukks and bikes so nothing out of the ordinary like Speed Freaks I think.

Yeah so any help would be awesome!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Firstly, you and your friend need atleast an HQ and 2 troop choices to play, officially, but playing just for fun with 1 troop choice is fine

Secondly, for Orks, a very basic strategy is to use Destroyers and a Monolith... The Destroyer's mobility will keep it far from the reach of assault and the monolith can be used to pull your warriors out of assault.

I haven't actually played against Orks, but that's what I've heard around here, and it makes sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh yeah we know the rules about an HQ and 2 troop choices, (first game we'll play is 500 points)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x5)

Orks and Nids are always hard, potentially IG too mainly because HORDE based armies have so much to kill, we almost don't have enough shots even if they all land to take em out by end of game. Template weapons are good, gauss flux is GREAT, etc...which pretty much only our monolith has...but our destroyers put our plenty of lethal shots too.
    "There is only do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

REssurection orb upgrade and buying a lord would be a good start, as well as buying some destroyers for some long range and manouverable units. I play orks, so it would annoy to be constantly out of range. stock up on infantry choices to *try* and match his man power. Take them in solid blocks and stand off inside buildings, because a necron almost has as bad an initiave value as an ork, so striking first would really help.
    Play guardsmen tactics with these. stand and shoot, but if you can, launch a counter charge.
    orks give 4 attacks at ws and strength 4, inititave 3 on the charge. and they can shoot before hand, although hitting on 5's, they have units around 20-30.
    Hope this helps you out a little.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

Get some flayed ones for counter-charging, they have a higher initiative and more attacks, also they're "cheap" and hopefully they can force orks to hit only on 6s with their terrifying visage. I've used flayed ones against light infantry before and I'm rather impressed.

Field your models to give you control of the situation with flanking and intercepting his charges with your own (scarabs are great at this).

Destroyers will rip orks apart with massed fire, but for a standing gunline perhaps Immortals are what you'd really need. I've never played orks myself so I just have theories for you sorry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also started off with a box of warriors and I recommend buying the battleforce as the warriors and scarabs in the warrior box add with the warriors and scarabs in the battleforce to make 40 warriors and 10 scarabs. It also comes with 3 destroyers which are always good. I would recommend buying a H. Destroyer too for some anti-vehicle firepower(5th edition nerfed gauss which used to be the best vehicle killer in the game). I would have to recommend gun lines as a good strategy with destroyers flanking their army and harassing them. Gun lines work well against mass orks as you will usually have several squads not involved the the assault. Scarabs are just fantastic as counter assault units for whenever you need to move your necrons away from the advancing horde. A lord with a res orb is always handy especially if your friend is going to take looted vehicles and throw boomguns on them . I find a veil of darkness also as an extremely handy tool for escaping the horde(teleport behind them, it'll drive your friend nuts ). My biggest problem with orks is their looted vehicles(my friend has like 3 of them)with their high str low ap boomgun so gunlines will prevent some casualties from that and just shoot up the regular orks as they dont get any armor saves against any gauss weapons.
    Every time a Necron gets back up an Ultramarine dies.
    :)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright guys thanks for all the replies!

First thing is I'm definately going with a Lord with a Res Orb and a Veil for getting stuff outta CC. Then I'll have some scarabs for tying up and of course Destroyers and Immortals for mass firepower.

When I upgrade my list probably to the 1500-2000 point range I'm thinking of going with the Deciever and a Monolith for Flux Arc and getting stuff outta CC. Main thing is how well do you think the Deciever will fare against Orks?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright lol he beat he beat me bad in 2 games yesterday... Of course all we did was play with 250 points and all I could field was a squad of warriors and 3 scarabs lol. He fielded like 18 boyz a trukk and 3 bikes so yeah..

I think I'll have a better chance when I have more options in 500+ up games

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Runner View Post
    Alright lol he beat he beat me bad in 2 games yesterday... Of course all we did was play with 250 points and all I could field was a squad of warriors and 3 scarabs lol. He fielded like 18 boyz a trukk and 3 bikes so yeah..

I think I'll have a better chance when I have more options in 500+ up games
    He'll shine until you start to get your 'greater' strengths. You are more durable, but once he's in CC it's game over. With minimal points you're limited and he's kinda not. I'd say 750 would be better at least to get some destroyers. But at 1k+ you get more choices.
    "There is only do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast