Shining Spears - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shining Spears

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Under the new rules Shining Spears have become a quite attractive assault unit.

Ponder this...
    First turn, you fly 24" down one flank, for your opponents turn you have T4 (unheard of for Eldar), and a 3+ inv save!
    Next turn you should be in charging range with S5!

The minis are so much better than normal jetbikes

Throw in an Exarch with Bright Lance for Anti Tank

I know Scorps could do a similar job with Infiltrate or a Wave Serpent
    And I think they should still be reduced by at LEAST 10 pts a model.

But still, fielding them would make a welcome change

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Ponder this:
    First turn, you fly 24" down one flank
    You just moved 6 inches more than you can legally, they are not fast skimmer vehicles, they are still eldar jet bikes, they move as bikes plus a 6 inch move in the assult phase

you have T4 (unheard of for Eldar),
    Except for jet bikes, (pretty much my entire siam hann force), avatars, wrathlords, wraith guards and lets face it T4 is not great shakes, if your illegal 24" move just took you within 12 " of a marine squad that is 20 shots, 13-14 of which will hit giving 7 wounds

and a 3+ inv save!
    ? oh you mean if you taken the Exarch ability, hmm, but makes not a jot of difference to the 7 wounds caused by bolter fire wheather a 3+ save is inv or not, , you still killed atleast 2 of them.

This lot makes them not more survaivable than Marines, the points difference however is huge, you are paying roughly 200 points for the exarch and 2 spears, plus 50 points more for each spear you add

Personnally I like jetbikes, they are not meant to charge in straight away, they are meant to zoom about the battle field thining down the enemy first with shooting.
    They are over priced, but spears are even more over priced

If you give your exarch a BL you spent 200-300 points for one BL shot? you could take a vyper heck you could take 3 vypers and still have change

There are 2 problems with spears, they are way over points cost and they are too small as a unit. 4th ed addresses neither of these problems
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, from the rumors, it does.

It's been heard through the branches that the Dark Eldar Jet Bike ability to charge 24" turning your save to an invulnerable one will now be available to all bikes (jet or not, DE or not)

It's still just a rumor though, but I think it would be a good thing if the DE get some kind of compensation

Also, the Shining Spear have big problem #3 and 4, which are no power weapons and very expensive ($$&#036 models

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x4)

Bikes in the book they had printed out at gamesday in baltimore had the rule of super speed, where they could move 24, not fire (not sure about assault) and make their save invulnerable. This includes space marine bikes as well, im not sure on jetbikes since they have different rules

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    171 (x6)

Unfortunately, I just heard a rumor today (Possibly bogus) that bikes were only getting their normal 12" move but that they HAVE to move 6" in the assalt phase whether they assault or not. No mention of invulnerable saves with this either.

If THIS is the case, then I'm not too happy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x4)

Well I'm sure GW realizes how worthless bikes are in general, the 24 move + invul save would make them viable..

35 pts for a model with +1 toughness and it cant take a second weapon? or 25 pts for a model that moves the same can move over difficult terrain and can have 2 weapons.. Hmmm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bikes DO get the DE turbo ability and i was just trying to find a use for a rarely used aspect. Under the new rules SS are the fastest unit in the army with S5 and would be perfect independent character killers. As someone who regularly plays against a 210 pt Chaos Lord (hard as nails) i know the problems we have with high T characters in CC.
    10 Rangers or Wraithguard in a Wave Serpent will do the job just as well, but SS are cool models (so much more than the standard jetbike pilots) and are rarely used(people get scared when they don't know what they are fighting).

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well if your playing games and u dont know wat your opponests are capable of, then u need to stop playing. one of the arts of war is to knwo your enemy and wat he or she is capable of. if your opponents dont know what your units can do then they cant be very hard to beat, and imo, i wouldnt waste my time. id find a harder player and chalenge myself.
    <insert witty remark here>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Under the new rules Shining spears now get the turbo move but cant assult at the end of it, so they got a potential move of 30 inches, but, there is no mention of any inv save
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I&#39;ll be extremely surprised if GW ever makes shining spears worth the price tag on the box set or the amount of points they cost. Now, if every shining spear were to get a brightlance that would make them worth it. Or, give them banshee like ability of first strike and power weapons.
    Jack of all trades, master of none.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast