Necrons vs Necrons - what to expect? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Necrons vs Necrons - what to expect?

Has anybody tried doing the amusing thing of having two Necron forces face off against each other? An endless battle of "I kill you, I come back, I kill you, I come back"!

Trying it out this Friday, 1500pt vs a mate and we have similar models available to us with the only difference been that I have access to 2 heavy destroyers and he has access to several wraiths. Other than that, warriors (i have more), destroyers, scarabs, monolith, spyders, we're catered for. Oh, forgot, I use no elites, he has a small squad of immortals.

What strange quirks or interesting events should I expect or watch out for? With the Monoliths living metal rules I would imagine that only a heavy destroyer stands a remote chance of knocking it out so I'm going to take 2 in case he takes one, if not oh well they negate 3+ armour! Tempted to deep strike a monolith but the alternative is going with 3 Tomb Spyders and letting their monstrous creature rules rip him apart.....flaw with that is that if he takes a Monolith and my Destroyers don't knock it out soon enough, he will particle whip my spyders down along with plenty of warriors.

I think its easy to guess that both of us will take a Res Orb! However he might try a flying circus trick.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

I gave it a go once. 2K game i think, i had the Deceiver and my opponent the NightBringer. Naturally these two went head to head Though the NB came out on top i think, i managed to win the game. A bit of luck saw my opponants Lord + Warriors fail a Ld test in turn 2 and flee the table.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x5)

Ha, its kind of funny I was just thinking of this topic.

I would really have no idea how the game would go, but good luck.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

In 4th, whoever had the most points in monoliths lost, typically... because gauss used to wreck them, and they're a lot of points. C'tan were also a bit of a liability because they're not immune to any enemy shooting. And lords / warriors didn't shoot hard enough for their points. It was more "who had more destroyers & immortals?" that won, barring bad dice or bad tactics.

Nowadays, monoliths are actually really good against other necrons, which would make the game exceptionally boring with the mega-recycling that would be happening forever.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x5)

I'd imagine a CC tooled necron army might win! Get them engaged with wraiths and a Dlord and WHAM....we know how we SUCK in CC, some tomb spyders too would rule!
    "There is only do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I'd like to show that a monolith is not essential to a game win so I may take 2 Heavy Destroyers to counter his Monolith should he take one and 3 Tomb Spyders to make a mess of him in close combat.

Both of us will likely take a full swarm of scarabs so I look forward to seeing them clash in the middle!

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

I've done it - 1500 points with the only non necron consisting of my monolith and 9 scarabs while my opponent had about 6 scarabs and a tombspyder.

The game went on for 6 turns and could've gone on for 60 more, we simply couldn't do enough lasting damage to each other. At the end of the game the total kill (from both sides) was about 20 warriors, 3 immortals, 6 scarab bases and 3 destroyers.

Though there was the highlight of my scarabs eating 3 destroyers thanks to a turn 2 charge,

+ Reply to Thread