Guardians? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guardians?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guardians?

Does anyone use them? i look at them and think i'd rather have Dire Avengers... They aren't really made for CC yet they have a Close range Assualt gun? idk how do you guys use them, and whatsyour optimal HW plat choice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use guardians to march behind my wraithlord(s), removing wraithsight and screening anything behind. Weapon of choice is a SL, for versatility. They are also great for fouling up target priorities. Take a squad of Necron warriors, for example, facing the wraithlord/guardian combo mentioned. They have to decide between trying to get the 6+ wound on the lord OR kill a lot of cheap guardians. My guardians have recieved everything from Basilisk fire to Fire Warrior shooting, mostly while in cover, because the opponent percieved that it was my most vulnerable unit. In the majority of all such cases, your squad still stands when they're done, and they have wasted a valuable shooting phase.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that was possibly one of the best reponses i've ever gotten in a post ever O_o

My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

If I use Guardians, it's mainly for cheap expendable troops to hold down objectives. Add a Warlock with Conceal, boost to the objective in a Wave Serpent and deploy them there (the 'Serpent can always come back).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As you said they are not particually cc units, but with a squad of 20 guardians you get 40 str 4 shots, then you get another 40 cc attacks! against SM, thats 4 guys dead from shooting and (if your have a warlock with enhance) then 2.5 dead in combat! (not including warlock attacks) before they have attack! so then you have 3 or 4 space marines left to try to kill your guardians, thats max 4 guardians dead.

i know its unlikely that you'll have a full squad of guardians before you get to a tac squad, but it shows what they could do with maybe 2 squads or a distraction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use guardians with EML to run with avatar, they can weaken squads up for him, pin low LD squads, are a nice distraction as mentioned before, can move and shoot heavy weapons so thats always good and are always in cover when being shot so can take a fair bit of damage, where they are not especially strong in any one area, over all they perform their job very well.
    "Playing it safe is the most popular way to fail." - Elliott Smith.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use guardians as a shield for my Wraithguard. Essentially I place the wraithguard out fron after movement, then shoot their wraithcannons, then I run the small squad of Guardians up in front of the W.G. to give thema nice cover save. I make them defender guardians, cause chances are they will get charged and an extra attack never hurts.
    Veni Vidi Vici
    "The plan is to win, if we don't win its cause you guys didn't follow the plan!"
    Eldar: 25,000 pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a lover of Ulthwe I resisted the urge to switch to spangly new Avengers and kept Guardians as the core of my army, and I certainly dont regret it.

Squads of 10-16 Guardians including gun crew are what I tend to run and depending on the list they will either be the cheap kind without a Warlock and armed with a Scatter laser or Shuriken Cannon and come in under 100pts or a slightly more Elite version with a larger squad size and a Singing Spear Warlock with Embolden or Conceal and a Starcannon or EML.

Which types I take is dependant on the rest of the force and how many scoring units I think i'll need/want but I wouldn't leave home without 3 if I had an extra scorer or two and at least 4 if they are my sole troop choices.

The heavy weapons allow you to pick away at the enemy and combining a couple of squads, especially if a Farseer can get doom/guide off, can see off even the most determined of foes with that single volley of shuriken fire their likely to get.

I aim to spend 600-700pts on troops and that can net you a really solid firebase if thats all guardians, you can then concentrate on building an assault force safe in the knowledge that the mighty Black Guard on Ulthwe will still be there claiming your objectives come the games end.
    "ask not the Eldar a question, for he will give you three answers, all of which are true and terrifying to know"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As an Ulthwe player, i too have a core army army of guardians. The advantages have all been described above but the biggest one in my humble opinion is other people view of them.

My opponents have underestimated them to their cost on several occasions. They've held off a charge from 5 man DA assault squad led by a company master. With some farseer support they've decimated a devestator squad with star cannon fire (2 squads). They are imperial guard killers, great screens, fair heavy weapon troops ( a star cannon with 9 wounds) and 9 times out of 10 ignored by opponents in favour of vehicles and fancy troops.

They work well in numbers, 2 squads of 10 with heavy weapons and conceal wielding warlocks is a good foundation. With the support of a good farseer they will serve you well.
    Bleed Black Label S.D.M.F's!!

Acting XO of Tanith 1st MadLarkin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

Guardians with farseer and warlocks are amazing. I usually go with 10 guardians w/SL and warlock w/conceal and another squad with EML and embolden instead. The EML squad claims the closest objective and provides fire support and the SL squad runs to get other objectives with a farseer right behind them casting guide and fortune as seen fit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast