Do gaunts suck now for you too? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x3)

Do gaunts suck now for you too?

So now that I am playing fifth edition it seems like gaunts are both required for scoring, and worthless. Last game I played with 50 gaunts and they didn't do anything but give my opponents kill points. Infact in the last few games I have played guants have done nothing but give cover saves for other units. I hear that they are as effective in assault as equal points of stealers, but it does not seem like it to me--my gaunts have yet to win a combat.

Recently I have charged necron scarabs (16 vs 5) thinking I would win the fight, ended up losing and falling back (thankfully), only to later charge a destoryer and not score a wound on it lost the combat and fell back again (beacause my assault brought me one inch out of synapse range). That was the best results I have had. In every other fight I assaulted, lost (both against ork boys [me outnumbering them], and dark eldar warriors [even numbers on both sides]) and had to take wounds because I was fearless; sometimes these wiped out my squad.

How are people fairing with Gaunts these days, and am I doing something horribly wrong. I used to play 4 squads of stealers, but now fear that if they are all that I have that can score they will be shot to bits because they are fragile and expensive. How is everyone else dealing with this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My gaunts seem to be doing as well as usual, my Termagaunts actually are doing better for me lately. Maybe you need to add a bit more shooting into your army and consider using gaunt wrapping and give your troops a little more support (maybe try to keep ranged warriors behind/with them). Sounds like you just hit some really bad rolls there
    "Ohm nom nom nom"

Mau'Dib
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

if you'll pardon me for saying this but, I found your problem.

The units you listed are all better in close combat than gaunts when they are anywhere close to even in number. DE Warriors, Ork Boyz and scarabs all excel when facing wimpy things like gaunts. In order to even the field against those guys you have to pump them full of shots from warriors or even the gaunts themselves before going in for the kill. Heck, if you have a cover save (you did remember to wrap your gaunts around themselves to get a save right?) you might even be best off duking it out in a shooting match. Gaunts are just as effective as they were in 4th, and in fact, due to the new rules that lets you give them a perma 4+ save, they're better.

The other problem is how many points did you bring 50 gaunts to? Cause if you're talking about 2k+ you aren't bringing enough to soak enemy firepower. gaunts need to outnumber the enemy in a big way to really bring their full power to bear.
    ~2k of genestealery goodness
    ~1750points of terminator goodness

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

more witty remarks to come.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup, my Gaunts are coming along just fine, even better since I started using termagaunts over spines.
    They continue to soak up fire, provide cover saves and get into firefights with the enemy that they tend to win through weight of numbers.

4+ cover saves are everywhere and I can't bring myself to use the "wrap around" methods but i'm not a competetive player. This heavily favours cheap guys like your gaunts, and 20-30 fleshborer shots can really make a mess of things.

The units you've listed are superior fighters to your gaunts, especially boys who are some of the best melee units in the game point for point.

If you want to make with the stabbing get hormagaunts, raveners or warriors, gaunts for me are the firefight meatshield. They shield your heavy hitters advance and when those units blitz past them to charge the gaunts can get to shooting up the units getting ready to counter charge or shoot up your victorious death machines. If you can't drop them with shooting and you really need them not to shoot on their turn then charge them, but keep in synapse because odds are your going to lose but if you have synapse they will have to kill you down to the last gaunt, which should give your actually fighters chance to swing around and start introducing them to the business end of rending claws...
    "ask not the Eldar a question, for he will give you three answers, all of which are true and terrifying to know"

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

I... love my gaunts. The little guys try so hard every game and are always fun to play. There's nothing better than killing a terminator or shooting down a landspeeder with termagants.

I like that in 5th ed even a single remaining gaunt from a brood is still scoring. The food finds it very frustrating trying to get to that last gaunt in cover behind a wall of MCs after all their barrage power has gone. I like gaunts' ability to create cover over huge portions of the table for more expensive gribblies.

I even like hormagaunts. Against most types of food they're still a great lock unit to stop a unit of the food doing anything effective until I can get slower but more killy gribblies into touch.

I'd run more gaunts in my lists except that it means painting more of them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My gaunts are not there to get kills or survive in combat. I expect them to help me in tactical ways:

--They provide a line of bodies that the enemy must get through to charge my gun lines.
    --They tie up secondary enemy units while I shoot the heck out of primary enemy units.
    --They give cover saves to models behind them.
    --They can surround an objective and make it very difficult for the enemy to get within 3" of the objective.
    --They take the charge from an enemy, die, and then leave the enemy hanging out there to get shot to heck (thanks 5th edition!).
    --And finally, when they die, they come right back on my side of the table to do it all again!

What more can you ask from a 5-8 pt model that also has Fleet to get into a position of annoyance even faster?

+ Reply to Thread