What do you fear? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you fear?

I'm a Marine player, and I was wondering what makes you shudder when you see it hit the table? For me, it used to be plasma, but with nearly everything having a 4+ save, its when I see a huge horde.

A player in my gaming group fields a thousand point list with 2 broods of spinegaunts with 17 gaunts each, 2 units of around ten genestealers, a shooty fex, and 8 or so warriors. The only weakness it has is vehicles, with armor 14, until the fex gets in close, and in 1000, theres only so many vehicles you can take. Flamers are difficult to use as I cant get close enough to use them effectively (more than 1-3 models) before he charges. The gaunts provide the stealers with cover, and that many warriors are a little difficult to bring down to knock out his synapse. Genestealers in assault are deadly. Initiative 6 and flesh hooks murders most of my squad before I can do anything, even if im in cover, not to mention rending and 4 attacks each.

What kind of marine lists do you lose to?

Another 'nid player takes Stealers and fexes and tyrants and warriors, and occasionally gaunts. Gives the tyrant wings, the stealers scuttlers. The stealers that scuttle come on from the flanks, and almost inevitably get in combat. Unless I squeeze into the center of my deployment, in which case I get hit very easily by all the big things running at me; pinning me in place for the genestealers from the flanks.

Any thoughts?

How many guardsmen does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
    None, their lasguns work fine.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    156 (x3)

I can't say I fear anything. There's a few things that annoy me, but nothing fearful.

1) AV14 tanks. Just annoying
    2) Anyone who fields more models than me.

Charitably Tables People MVBrandt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x5)

In all my games with 'Nids, I've lost 0 and drawn twice. Both draws were to triple monolith + c'tan necron lists. Those piss me off. They're easier to deal with slightly now that Monoliths are at most a 4+ to hit in close combat. Chasing them around with shooty fexes will be fuuuuun.
    Nids & Guard
    GMail = MVBrandt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

126 (x4)

In the space marine lists, assault cannons are what I find most annoying. In general I despise battle cannons. It's so hard to get a cover save now for an MC (especially from defilers because they're so tall) and those darn cannons have AP3.
    Tim Wright

"The internet perceives censorship as damage, and routes around it."
    -John Gilmore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

128 (x4)

Maybe you should've titled this thread "What do Tyranids have a hard time dealing with from Space Marine lists so that I might field as many of them as possible" :-P . It's okay, we're here to help.

Firstly, we have a terrible time dealing with all-around AV14. Our only shooting attacks capable of damaging one are either only capable of getting glancing hits (S8 Barbed Strangler, S10 Venom Cannon) or have range 18" and require a psychic test with horrible BS afterwards. Our only effective way to damage AV14 is in close combat with a monstrous creature. Genestealers, and warriors will have no effect unless given Toxin Sacs, and then it's a very remote chance. So, field a Land Raider, embark a squad when you fear it's about to be eaten in close combat, and fire those twin-linked lascannons only at Carnifex, Hive Tyrants, and Zoanthropes, and in that particular order too.

In this new edition Whirlwinds will prove quite effective versus Tyranid infantry since they will score so many hits. Hide it behind cover, away from the enemy lines, and enjoy several turns of shooting.

Devastator Squads with Heavy Bolters will chew through enemy infantry squads like nobody's business. Though the Heavy Bolters in a Devastator squad are ten points more per gun than in a Tactical squad, the sheer volume of deadly fire will down a lot of models, and filling up the squad with regular marines will help with regular bolters.

Basically, I suggest holding your ground at the center of your deployment zone to prevent being outflanked effectively, and regardless of your usual tactics, move none of your models so you can maximize your firepower. Remember most terrain doesn't block LOS any more, so you should be able to hurt your enemy fairly well despite those 4+ cover saves. Also, instead of firing through those Gaunt squads at the Genestealers you're afraid of, fire at the Gaunt squad. The reason the Genestealers are so hard to kill is the cover save granting Gaunt squad in front of them. Gaunts are very easy to kill, so kill them, and then you'll have free shooting on those terrible Genestealers.
    Last edited by lLonginus; August 20th, 2008 at 21:16.
    My gaming group's new motto: That army you're using is overpowered because it hurts my guys, codex is broken and needs a rewrite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x3)

Get some rhinos for you squads and start out side of it for some stand and shoot then when they start getting close just get in and start driving around and firing out the hatch, since it is really hard for them to hurt it now and when it dies your marines are less likely to get hurt and you dont get auto pinned. The rhino is a great little place to hide. Stealers will need 4s to hit and then a 6 to do anything to it (assuming you are moving some), and guants cant hurt it at all unless they are +S or you show them rear armor. You can move and fire the stormbolter + 2 rapid fire bolters from the marines.

I have had to do this in lower point games a lot in 5th so far vs orks and nids, it works very well when done right.
    Last edited by Lyzaru; August 20th, 2008 at 21:53.
    - You must set fire to water or you will be extinguished.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ive never fought sm, but my best friend plays csm and we play all the time. if i had to pick a single thing that he brings to the table that funks my groove... id point at those lascannons. i like my big bugs, but since they are spendy, i deck them out for specific rolls that my troops usually have a hard time with. so when he obliterates my fexs, that usually takes quite the hit, though i usually deploy my army so i can adapt accordingly.
    if i chose a second, it would be tanks, but ive found sneaky ways around all that armor...
    turn 3: oh you have a baneblade? turn 4: now you have a burning pile of terrain
    "you died Mr. Reynolds"
    *cough* "seemed like the thing to do"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

I personally fear starcannons. They shoot lots and cook up my big and medium critters. I also fear well thought out defence. It's not always the weapons used but if people put some though into how they use them. I find that an opponent who tries to get the most out of his cheaper units can cause loads of problems. You ask what we fear and fear is a state of mind, an effective defence also requires a certain state of mind. I also fear wasps and elephants.
    Last edited by Leech; August 21st, 2008 at 00:48.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the input. I think I'll give the rhino idea a try. I could take devastators, but I just dont anymore, theyre too expensive. And with a horde army always being able to charge on turn 2, They will not make their points back.

I'll be keeping an LRC AND a LR in the list, for 1500 point games. in 1k games, the LRC...2-3 rhinos and 2-3 Tac squads as well as assault Terminators.
    How many guardsmen does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
    None, their lasguns work fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't like Land Speeders with heavy flamers. They can move where needed, torch all of the little guys, and if taken in squads of 1 for fast attack, divert a lot of attacks just to take down one. They're the reason I most often take Termagaunts, they can actually glance AV 10.
    Farseer Faolain of Craftworld Tuathana
    Overlord of Hive Fleet Shoggoth
    See my projects and tutorials at: http://awakeningynnead.blogspot.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. October 19th, 2008, 23:21