Odd Decisions... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Kei
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started out playing GK, went to Nids because they have prettier faces, (jk, i like the models more) and got, to my dismay, a pack of genestealers.
    Well, afterwards i got the codex and found that the original rulebook LIED! Lied like... a fly someone's finally caught after a day of searching and that irritating buzzing sound.
    So, i decided to get some warriors anyway so that i would have a fieldable army (12 genestealers=2troopsof6,+3warriors=an army, i believe...)
    And i find that the warriors come with only one group of scything talons extra.

So, i decide: 1 talons, 1 venom cannon, 1 devourer.
    they all are mutated to have bio-plasma attack, adrenal glands (both), poison sacks, extended armor, and i'm trying to decide:

Wings, or leaping?
    If wings, what is the best material to make them out of?

After finding out the "shoot the big ones rule" (ah yes, i can shoot at his tiny hormagaunts all the way behind that big carnifex there just to irritate him) i was even more dismayed, as my brother's chosen to play Tau.

So now, i'm planning to get (once i'm done painting 2 more warriors and 4 more stealers) a squad of hormagaunts (and hoping to convert the termagaunts into hormies too), and then an old one eye (i don't plan to have a large army, my cash reserves are rock bottom)

...Anyway, i'm trying to figure out what i'm doing wrong. Is it just me, or are tyranids insanely weak against Tau? they just blast at your synapse creatures until you're out of control, and then your other fools run around randomly...

Also, i don't know how to convert something to have wings, or leaping (or how to use green stuff, or where to get it.)

In short, i'm an idiot.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tau have lots of long ranged guns. Just get into hand to hand with tau and they are dead. What you need to do is take advantage of terrain and have lots of numbers. Have too many bugs for them to shoot at.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

also, I feel that you have gotten all tangled up in all the cool biomorphs the nids have. that makes them too expensive. try to limit your self to one or at the most two morphs, that way you can have more of them, more warriors, more hive control. also, nids aren't the best army for a flat wallet, as you really...no, really, need loads of little guys. and remeber, mutate one from each brood of gaunts with a hive node (just use a warrior head or something), that way, if they're outta hive reach, they get Ld 10 when checking for instinctual behaviour.

hope it helps

Kei
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to say, i like that the warriors come with 2 heads each. Makes for easy gaunt->hive noder conversions.

Hm. I'll probably do that, Gen. I mainly just do biomorphs for warriors/tyrants. I'm simply stating i don't find termagants to be any good, and am trying to convert the ones that come in a 'gaunt box to hormagaunts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my opinion its best to have termagaunts and hormagaunts as your main troop type because by the time your genestealers get to the tau to fight in cc there wont be any genestealers left. And they cost alot of points, if you dont have much money you can get 16 gaunts for £15 in england thats not too much.
    Termagaunts can be good for drawing fire away from other troops, give them spine fists to make them about 5 points each i think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

order hormagaunt sprues from Mail order. In the uk you can get 16 HORMAGAUNTS (no termagaunts) for £10 + £4 P+P = £14

That way you can have a cheap and vast horde of ultra-quick bugs. And they will own tau
    A Promise to a dead man means nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About the leaping/winging thing.
    In my opinion if you are going to give them wings or leaping its might be best to give them 2 scythes and 2 rending claws, because that extra speed will get them into close combat alot quicker, which is a tyranids strongpoint.
    The 2 advantages leaping has over wings is that you always count your full amount of attacks when 2" away, and you can move into difficult terrain(winged cannot) which you may need for cover.
    But if winged they can move into normal terrain at full movement speed.
    But winged always moves 12" and leaping only moves 12" into an assault.
    Now consider the cost. Leaping 10 Winged 14.
    If you dont choose ranged weapons then you're going to save some points, so it would be just as efficent to choose either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The tactic against shooty armies is to swarm them and give them multiple targets to split their fire, unfortunally with only 12 stealers and 3 warriors you're you are going to be trashed......

Gaunts, loads of them. You should be trying to get at least 2 squads of 20+ gaunts :o, possible one squad of hormagaunts and a squad of scyhegaunts. The hormagaunts (leaping - 12" assault) will get into H2H in the first or second turn and the scycgaunts will arrive the following turn.

20 Hormagaunts + hivenode = 210pts. Scychgaunts are mutable's, pts5 base points + 2 points for talons. Add a hive node = squad of 20 for 140 points. Add your warriors + stealers and you have a nasty 800-ish pt army. Hive node will give leadership 10 so you should be OK when out of synapse range.

You can get Hormagaunt sprues for GW mail order, 4 gaunts for 3stg.

Don't make the mistake I made and end up with a 'big nid' army, go for a swarm army.

Warrior wings - Warmaster dragon wings, Gargoyle wings or Warhammer Manitcore wings?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just don't be like me and face a Tau player on a table twice the length that was appropriate!
    How victory may be produced for them out of the enemy's
    own tactics--that is what the multitude cannot comprehend.

-Sun Tzu

"Quantity has a Quality of it's own"

-Josef Stalin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tau suck. I should know. I play them. They have an extremely limited army list. Assault his firewarriors with Gargoyles. they can get to them quickest. assault blocks LOS. make whatever you can flying so that you can take advantage of speed. you don't need very strong fighters to take out tau in cc, so get lots of simple dudes, (read: you dont need upgrades) keep cost to a minimum. those crissis suits can be a little pesky because they can hop behind cover so they are never shot. Broadsides are a concearn for your carnifex, warriors, and tyrants. just assault the broadsides with anything flying, they will fail a leadership and jump right off the table edge. speed is your friend against tau, since they will always be defensive, be offensive! TAKE ADVANTAGE OF TERRAIN! flying units allow you to terrain hop. use rippers for your troops chioce take spine gaunts for this game. the I is needed. hormagaunts are nice in this situation too. swamp a crissis team with hormies and it'll go down quicker than you think

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast