Dealing with ork mobs? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

Dealing with ork mobs?

I have a friend who likes to play the green tide model of ork warfare. I don't want to tailor an army list to beat him. What tactics can i employ to defeat a horde of 30 boys with a custom force feild? They're fearless and so deep in numbers i cannot stop them from reaching my lines. In smaller games i usually employ Dire Avengers, Guardians, Rangers, Farseer, War Walker and Banshees.

His WAAGH and powerclaw'd nobz/meks make things even worse.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x2)

A mob that big is probably going to require the use of two or three seperate units working in conjunction to bring down. I would suggest 3 war walkers with scatter lasers for a one unit mob killer, as thats a whole lot of shots at long range, but since you don't have that, I would probably suggest that you whittle away at a distance with your war walker, and if your rangers don't have any better targets, them too. Once thet get closer, let your Farseer guide your guardians to improve the chances of hits, and pour it on with Dire Avengers if anything's left. Worst comes to worst, after that much shooting, you might be able to throw your guardians into CC with a reasonable chance of success.
    I think you need to spend more time on your floor.

2500 Black Templars
    7-3-3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doom, guide, warwalkers, scatter lasers. Dire avengers are always great against mobs, but they're excellent when you have doom. Destructor helps on a jetbike to foil their charge before it happens.

Wraithlords are actually pretty excellent with twin flamers, but it's unfortunate when they get into combat, kill 1-2 orks a turn, only to get hit with a few powerklaw attacks. Even so, they're great for cleaning up.

The thing about 30 man mobs is that you can focus a lot of fire power on one with a lot of different units while likely staying out of range of the rest of the army's combat troops.

Worse comes to worse, you can charge with scorpions. A squad of scorpions will die to a full ork squad, but, by the time an ork squad gets to you, it shouldn't be full strength.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

I find that the DA's only get one round of fire as he can waagh and fleet of foot assault me once i'm inside 18" to fire. Also if i concentrate all my fire on that large mob, it leaves his smaller faster units (aka truck mounted mobs) to make it to me unscathed.

The problem with smaller games is i just can't field the enough shots to take out his horde. My only hope is to outmanuver him, but with the short range on shuricats and even avenger shuricats and his waagh ability, i'm definately feeling the pain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big Unit Low armour screams Shadow Weavers to me

3 shadow weavers low in points good in orky killing goodness thats my advice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

mmm... 90 points 3 blast shots....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Harlies

Harlequins 4tw?? If you can wittle their number down before you jump them with a full squad of harlies you will likely make short work of them. I haven't played with the new cc rules yet, but I would assume that with 30 units, not all of them will be in cc and you can probably kill most of the ones in cc so that you don't lose many harlies to their counterattack. I know they probably wouldn't be "much" better than a squad of scorpions, but they higher WS and rending weapons will have to count for something, hopefully 4-5 more kills.

Then again, I am a beginner so take this with a grain of salt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by EldarNewb View Post
    Harlequins 4tw?? If you can wittle their number down before you jump them with a full squad of harlies you will likely make short work of them. I haven't played with the new cc rules yet, but I would assume that with 30 units, not all of them will be in cc and you can probably kill most of the ones in cc so that you don't lose many harlies to their counterattack. I know they probably wouldn't be "much" better than a squad of scorpions, but they higher WS and rending weapons will have to count for something, hopefully 4-5 more kills.

Then again, I am a beginner so take this with a grain of salt.
    Scorpions are a much better choice than Harlies against orcs. In CC wounds can be taken from models not engaged in combat, so there's not much you can do to reduce the number of counterattacks from a horde that size. Given the probable size of that counterattack, having only a 5+ save is gonna mean a lot more dead harlies than scorps.

And as for kills, the first round (assuming a charge) your harlies and scorps may have the same str, but if you're the one assaulted or go multiple rounds (very likely), your scorps still have their str 4. Also, versus a boyz 6+ rending really doesn't provide much benefit.

Overall the scorps will have as many or more kills than the harlies, with better survivability, for fewer points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by badxample View Post
    I find that the DA's only get one round of fire as he can waagh and fleet of foot assault me once i'm inside 18" to fire. Also if i concentrate all my fire on that large mob, it leaves his smaller faster units (aka truck mounted mobs) to make it to me unscathed.

The problem with smaller games is i just can't field the enough shots to take out his horde. My only hope is to outmanuver him, but with the short range on shuricats and even avenger shuricats and his waagh ability, i'm definately feeling the pain.
    Which ork units are fleet? And the waagh ability will only help once. If you're on the fringe of the das range, you can take the risk to kill 15 orks with one bladestorm (doomed). With a second squad to support (das or otherwise), there's not much left to charge you, and they'll be taking a leadership test.

Mobility is definitely an option. I would not take bladestorming das without a serpent, nor would I take heavy weapons on infantry. You sort of need to move while shooting or you won't be able to keep out of charge range. THere's always that nasty tendency for orks to take all the cover saves they can get. Mobile shooters help avoid this, while heavy weapons are out of luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mind War the Ork Nobz with power klaws to take out their heaviest hitting model

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast