Librarium Online Forums banner

Eldar Armory.

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  ForthTheThunder 
#1 ·
Talk about weapons and weapons configurations here. Think 3 war walkers with 6 scatter lasers is gg? Others think its 6 EMLs.

What about star cannons, they still worth their points?

Or brightlances: take a bunch or take none at all perhaps.

What about the shuriken cannon upgrade on Waves and Falcons? Or do you just feel like sticking to ya TL catapults.

What weapons platform suits the guardian squad? (Depends you will say.)

Discuss.

#2 ·
I've always been of the mindset that when it comes to firepower, quantity has a quality all its own. I highly favor the war walkers with scatter lasers.
Starcannons: Haven't used them lately. I used to pack them on falcons, until fifth edition came out.
Brightlances: Either put two on a single war walker, or don't take them at all. Eldar have plenty of S6 firepower, and only need the heavy weaponry for the AV 14 vehicles. Eldar have plenty of options for taking them down without bright lances.
Shurikan Cannons: Haven't used them since fifth came out.
Guardian Squads: Scatter lasers, for the most part. Decent range, good rate of fire to offset poor BS, and cheap.

#4 ·
i am quite fond of scatter lasers as they can kill the weaker units well, but against SM and other units like that i prefer starcannons. i dont use many brightlances as i dont vs many heavy tanks.

i think BL on walkers are a bit expensive, they would be great against IG or something that has lots of tanks but not for many other armys. an alternative for that would be to take EMLs since then you take off 20 points per model and you have the frag option.

#5 ·
I tend to have a mix and match approach to cover the bases accross the force.

My warwalkers tend to have a scatter and Star load out. Good vs MEQ armies (the maj of my group) and useful vs orcs. Not perfect but the SC comes in handy vs mega armoured nobs/bosses.

Wraithlord with 2win Brightlance. This guy is a dreadnought hunter. He's my dedicated killer of assault cannon toting dreds. If no better targets i'll fire him at infantry but theres usually a vehicle to pop in the first 3 turns.

Guardians, one squad with scatter, one with starcannon. I tend to turn my guardians into 12 man squads with warlocks supporting each other side by side with a farseer in the middle. They essentially become guided heavy weapons with lots of wounds.

Falcons with pulse and scattter. This load out gives it a bit of a boost vs small infantry squads.

Mixing the load out can make the usually inflexable a bit more flexable. I've found that it's all about getting the heavy weapons to properly support each other with an Eldar army. My selections are based on playing 3 MEQ players and 1 Ork so mostly after low AP high Str. Sounds really bad but i rarely use the ML as the opposing side of the table is usually full of them.

#6 ·
I like to take two EMLs on War Walkers. New blast rules make them hurt a little more, and the ability to fire a couple krak missiles is nice. There aren't a lot of tanks that will be able to stand up to a full squad of 6 missiles.

#8 ·
Yea, EML on the warwalkers ftw as well. Scatter lasers on gaurdians and lances or cannons on my tanks depending on what role i want for them.

I generally don't upgrade the TL cats on my tanks to cannons. They are targets enough as it is with out sinking even more points into them. I rarely would fire it as i like to move 12". The exception to this would be a falcon with two cannons and it's pulse laser. 6 str 6 shots, 2 str9 shots, great anti-tank and anti-infantry. Also i do like them on jetbikes. 24 inch range followed by a 6 inch move backwards into cover is nice.

#11 ·
Due to laziness I haven't changed my 4th ed army with the new ed. I've found that keeping the cannon isn't such a bad idea - now that going at combat speed isn't a significant benefit (i.e. glancing hits only), pootling around at 24" and firing several weapons can be OK.

If you intend to keep your opponent at long range then it's not such a good investment, but if you're dropping off combat troops or dire avengers the ability to have a heavy weapon firebase is still worth considering.

#10 ·
I tend to kit my falcon out with an EML and leave the shuri cats on the logic that if it's tank hunting then the extra krak missile is going to help where as the other options probably won't and the Shuri cannon will often not be in range if I'm keeping the falcon our of harms way. And if things take an unexpected turn I can still fire a plasma missile and use the cats and I'm not spending any more points.

#13 ·
consider wave serpents with bright lances, the way one could see it is that if you've got line of sight with some nasty vehicle, (the brightlances), then that vehicle has line of sight with you-ie your wave serpent is going to be vulnerable to fire.

EML/shuriken cannon seems effective for wave serpents.

Hmm what about scatter lasers: they seem to work with wave serpents, but with falcons? Since with the new rules you can't shoot 2 primary weapons.

Discuss vehicle weapons configs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.