Tactics and uses: Pulse Carabines - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tactics and uses: Pulse Carabines

So,

My first ever squad of Fire Warriors is equipped with Pulse Rifles. Which seems the most logical thing to do because Fire Warriors with pulse rifles are useful and effective. However, I've heard that pulse carabines can also be used quite well, and to be honest the idea of being able to walk 6" and still shoot 18" with pinning weapons is quite cool.

If I wanted to make use of pulse carabines, what kind of squad should I use, and how should I use them?

A Tau Ethereal was thought to have been killed today by a Bloodthirster. However, many Tau were seen fleeing the scene and are considered suspects.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    128 (x4)

8 strong drone squadron is the best use for pulse carbines. Pulse carbines on Fire Warriors sounds all nice and good, but they only get one shot, pinning is highly unreliable, and drones can flee from enemy assaulters whereas Fire Warriors are simply to slow to avoid being crushed. Gun drones also have a better to-hit rate than Fire Warriors, and can deep-strike.
    My gaming group's new motto: That army you're using is overpowered because it hurts my guys, codex is broken and needs a rewrite.

I Sincerely Want a Parrot counterwavecounter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x1)

The only real advantage Pulse Carbines have is that they're assault weapons. Given that, IMO, the best ways to use Carbine FWs are:

1. Equip them with EMP grenades, optionally mech them up, and go terrorizing side and rear AVs. Most vehicles have side and rear AVs of 10 or 11, so your Carbines can inflict damage and when followed by an EMP strike you're bound to destroy something. However, FWs really shouldn't be used as Tank Hunters, we have other units available to us that are much more efficient at it.

2. Use Carbine squads to bolster your ranks and plug up holes in your battle-line. The abilty to remain mobile and engage at a respectful 18" means they can hop around the board unencumbered. Nonetheless, I much prefer meched up FW squads for this purpose as their combat range is identical, (Carbine: 6" move + 18" range = 24", Pulse Rifle: 12" Devilfish move + 12" Double-Tap = 24"), and double tapping with Rifles is absolutely devastating. Why take 12 S5 shots when you can have 24?

If you want to take advantage of Carbine pinning then you have to bring alot of Markerlights to the table to lower LD, but that takes alot of Marker Hits and Marker Hits are better used firing Seekers, reducing cover saves, and upping BS.

So, at the end of the day Carbines aren't so great, Rifles are much more efficient killing devices. Maybe the new Codex will address the uselessness of Carbines, if they were Assault 2 Range 12" I would take tons, but that's wishful thinking as that would essentially make them the same as Rapid Fire weapons that cause pinning, but for know stick with Rifles.
    Last edited by counterwavecounter; September 3rd, 2008 at 21:53.
    "The man in the bowler hat is Mr. Average in his anonymity. I, too, wear one; I have no great desire to stand out from the masses." - Rene Magritte

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x6)

My own current plan for my tau includes running two units of fire warriors with pulse rifles in devilfish, and then moving a single unit of fire warriors with pulse carbines up the table, with a little luck they'll be ignored, or overlooked, and score an objective.
    Legion Of Everblight: Abyslonia
    Protectorate of Menoth: Grand Exemplar Kreoss

+ Reply to Thread