Tyranid Colour Scheme - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Colour of Carapace

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Knarloc Green + Scorpion Green

8 13.56%
  • Knarloc Green + Goblin Green

3 5.08%
  • Knarloc Green + Snot Green

8 13.56%
  • Knarloc Green + Scaly Green

1 1.69%
  • Knarloc Green + Catachan Green

2 3.39%
  • Skip The Foundation Paint And...

0 0%
  • Don't Do Green!

32 54.24%
  • Another Green Suggestion?

5 8.47%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tyranid Colour Scheme

Hello LO

I, being probably the laziest Tyranid player on this site, have still not fully painted even one Tyranid. I haven't decided on a scheme yet, so I was thinking why not ask you guys because I've seen a lot of schemes being blue (my original scheme that only got half way done on a few warriors and a carnifex) and I will be mostly playing on a wood/jungle board, so something green would be good (carapace).
    I'm doing a dheneb stone + bleached bone skin colour, with green ink in the recesses (spelling?), but am still undecided on the carapace colour.
    That's why there is a poll!

I was also thinking of doing a plain dark flesh + bleached bone highlight for talons and teeth.

Any help would be good to get a really green carapace.

Another problem I have come across is toxin sacs, which I've decided to do red.

Thanks guys

EDIT: I am buying paints tomorrow, so advice ASAP would be appreciated!

Last edited by MindWar; September 4th, 2008 at 04:17.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

If you want to do green you should think about what kind of green you want. Scorpion green is very bright but I think it may work well to give you a good contrast with the Knarloc green. You can get more details out of your models by giving them an ink wash. A light drybrush with a slightly lighter colour before hand can be done easily with a tank brush and it will give you a greater sense of depth on them. I would suggest that you use blue on your toxin sacs and not red. Blue looks rather toxic as red is more like blood which isn't toxic.

The way you want to do teeth sounds like it can work. You should think about eyes. Red will work well on these green types to give you contrast. Yellow is brighter and will make thier eyes stand out more but because you are using green this amy not be a good idea. Yellow and green are close to each other in the colour spectrum and as such people may think you haven't bothered to paint thier eyes. You should also think about the joints and that tube-sheath they have over thier musculature. You can apply an ink wash to that to make it a bit different.

Ink is quick and doing a detail like that will make them look much better. Purple will be a good ink in that spot. You should also remember that if you want them to look very green you should have a few parts of them such as the joints not at all green. This will help to make the green stand out. I would also suggest that you paint the scything talons and parts such as pincers on crushing claws etc a different colour from the carapace. Bone would work well or scab red highlighted up to blood red with a final touch of orange at the edges. Hope this helps out.

You could try this link for help on painting them. GW Online : Warhammer 40,000 : Tyranids : Hive Tyrant Painting Masterclass Just try to use thier method but imagine how to use greens instead of the white and purple. I think a scorpion green exoskeleton/skin and black carapace would look really good. these are just some ideas I have to help you out, I suggest that you put them in the melting pot (your head) and see what comes out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ummmm. never seen that green, but i guess its foundation cause its up there...
    with out reading one of leech's healthy paragraphs*heh* i my self have dark angles green base, with snot green for the bottom on each carapace part. but that's cause i suck at painting, but it gives a dark, then lighter sense, for lighting effects i think i had it in my mind.. but yeah, i also demand pictures when its done...

For the teeth i do bleach bone, and put red gore for the tips(eaten stuffems) for the toxin sacks, i do the skin-ish stuff bleach, and i then do the inside scorpion green so yeah, it stands out so its good for me... again, I'm not to good at painting, so only use me, as a last resort.

Note:leech, I'm not saying that you shouldn't do them, its just i didn't read it cause I'm in a hurry.. so please, don't take offense to what i said XD
    No sig required.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm I don't think I'd mix a purple ink wash with a green. I'm doing the flesh a, well, fleshy colour, with a green ink to wash over it (only in the holes and such). The carapace purely will be green, the joints and the like will just be the flesh colour with the green wash, and the claws and teeth will be that colour (including the crushing claws, they'll be fleshy but darker). The bases I'm not too sure about, however, so it'll probably end up a different colour to the carapace, with grass over it so it's not too similar.

Scorpion green in my opinion is a bit too bright, as I want them to blend in a medium/light green would be preferable to a bright green. And blue can be done for the toxin sacs, to be honest I never thought of doing it blue.

So now I think I have the carapace as being:

Knarloc green base coat + snot green drybrush

And the flesh being:

Dheneb stone base coat + bleached bone drybruch + green ink in gaps and on joints and tube sheath thing.

The eyes I'm planning to do blue, like the toxin sacs and probably any biomorph parts for that matter (deathspitter eye, adrenal glands, hell even rippers because they look good on the base - oh and the crushing claws I might be able to put a blue tinge on)

And yes Cobra there will be photos lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol i shouldn't've put "don't do green!" as an option. i have knarloc and snot greens now, hooray and i've already got goblin and scorpion. i'll post pictures of each by the weekend i hope. i also have dark angel green but i think it's a little old (say, 6 or so years) so its not in great shape.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my opinion, green only works with a toxic themed army...think nurgles dreadnought from forgeworld meets tyranids.

but thats just me...

So im not trolling, i think a darker green is in order... pick what you want.
    This thread is unclean brothers! PURGE IT WITH FLAME!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

another colour scheme

try something out of the green!
    like sort of dustry and dirty colours so they look vast and forgoten race from a different universe! but this is just my opion
    "Thought i would try shooting my way out... mix things up a little..."-master chief

Check out my Flood Army

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    183 (x4)

well, I use black as the basscoat, then gobling green mixed with Chaos black, paint the whole thing (apart from the carapace), then dry brush it with goblin green mixed with Bone white, then paint blood red in the exoskeleton and eyes, then paint Liche purple on the carapace, I will try to get up a few photos of them some time soon. . what you should do is have a look around (on the internet), see which painting schemes you like, see if you want to change them a bit, but what you need to do is, if you like it, DO IT
    Quote of the Week (Number 3) - "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." - William Gibbs McAdoo (1863-1941)
    Ruina's Hive - My personal Blog

Hex
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

Purple all the way for me!

Green would look quite nice tho my uncle does them that way.

I spray white, Leviathan Purple wash then highlight in an equivalent purple colour.

Black crapaces outlined with red

hex
    "Well... that hurt" - Vampire Jon Skellan (Mannfred's right hand man) after being beaten up, falling down an underground waterfall and being impaled by a stalactite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I did with mine is a dark angel Green with snot green highlights, then using fire orange for the carpice with a enchanted blue for the cracks in the carpice.

It looks like the bright warning colours that lizards and insects use naturally to warn preditors
    Sisters Of Battle "Order of the Holy Flame"
    Nids "Splinter Fleet Bestia"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. September 10th, 2008, 21:26