So I finally tried out Spore Cysts - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I finally tried out Spore Cysts

I wanted it to be cool. It's such a fluffy and theoretically nice idea; the walking bio fortress spewing out living bombs. Theoretically it should protect a sniperfex from assaults, and serve as moving area denial. In 4th it could also force target priority tests.

In practice it wasn't that awesome. Sure he spat out tons of mines, but one of them caused a wound on himself. None of the mines went in the direction they were supposed to, and the ones spat out early drifted harmlessly away from the main action. When I did roll a hit, they were still so far away from everything they never once exploded. They may work better on a Dakka fex since they get closer to the action. This is an ability that I want to be awesome, but it just isn't.

I just had another thought, though it's completely non-fluffy, shooting the mines gives killpoints, so they're even worse in 5th.

Aside from a FAQ clarifying that spore mines don't give KPs, what are some ways in the next codex that you'd like to see this ability improved?

I'd like to see it spit out D3 spore mines, with a roll of a 6 causing a wound for balance. That would make the ability worth it for 5 pts IMO, though it's not a tournament ability it makes it more fun for casual play.

Farseer Faolain of Craftworld Tuathana
    Overlord of Hive Fleet Shoggoth
    See my projects and tutorials at: http://awakeningynnead.blogspot.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think it should be that the carnifex basically gets a spore mine retinue that follows it around base to base - so that when it assaults a few spore minds can go off, and when it gets assaulted the ememy will have to deal with a few spore mines causing casualties too - initiative 10 so they blow up as soon as enemy assaults. - that way they can work for assaulting carnifex types - and defence for the ranged ones - instead of being Useless for both types

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

I'm going to cook up a Sniperfex type with a barbed strangler and a deathspitter. This is so it can cough up loads of blasts, a homicidal salad and a acid cowpat considering what a strangler and deathspitter fire. I have though spore cysts amy be fun on this thing just to maximise the amount of blasts it can dish out. Think theme 'boom, boom ,boom! Perhaps using it in such a way might make up for it's short comings. I think that with spore cysts a better effect may be gained from them if they are mounted on a Carnifex that wants to get close. Or wander around near an objective to create spores near it and give people the wiggies.
    Last edited by Leech; September 7th, 2008 at 23:19.

+ Reply to Thread