basing a monolith? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

basing a monolith?

anyone have a link to the monolith on skimmer base thread?
    the topic has come up and I need to research if I in fact do need to base it.
    since the "bases" section indicates when a model needs to have a base, and the skimmer section is a clarification to a later statement not a statement of rule,
    I'd like to know if other sections deal with basing it.

Dear Game Designer,
    Rock is Cheese. Paper is fine.
    Signed,
    Scissors

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x5)

The basing section is crystal clear, GW doesn't include a raised BASE on the monolith. It's giagantic floating building, but barely. So there's no base needed for the monolith since it's not included. However, you could raise it on higher bases if you wished, but it would start granting line of sight shots (so I wouldn't).

Also, it does block line of sight...based on 5th edition rules, skimmer or not!
    "There is only do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Trainer View Post
    The basing section is crystal clear, GW doesn't include a raised BASE on the monolith. It's giagantic floating building, but barely. So there's no base needed for the monolith since it's not included. However, you could raise it on higher bases if you wished, but it would start granting line of sight shots (so I wouldn't).

Also, it does block line of sight...based on 5th edition rules, skimmer or not!
    while I have come to that conclusion as well, I still need to prove it.
    Dear Game Designer,
    Signed,
    Scissors

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

102 (x5)

Two things prove it, GamesWorkshop didn't give you one so they didn't want one or intend for one.

2nd: The rulebook itself says something like if you choose to base a model higher for effect it will effect true line of sight. Basically they approve of custom modelling and changing the basics. They say it better, but to me it means you can change your monolith to have a base, but if people can now see your units it's your fault. But keeping it 'stock' is just fine too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Trainer View Post
    Two things prove it, GamesWorkshop didn't give you one so they didn't want one or intend for one.

2nd: The rulebook itself says something like if you choose to base a model higher for effect it will effect true line of sight. Basically they approve of custom modelling and changing the basics. They say it better, but to me it means you can change your monolith to have a base, but if people can now see your units it's your fault. But keeping it 'stock' is just fine too.
    these are the same people who tried to say that four fearless units in assault lost by 4 so each unit takes 4 hits...each, with the official position of "fearless units should suck." and sadly they are in charge so I have to reference pages etc...
    the only reference I found was the basing section and the skimmer section in regards to the base.
    Last edited by DJinni; September 8th, 2008 at 04:39.
    Dear Game Designer,
    Signed,
    Scissors

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    134 (x4)

Try this:

- Get a large clear base.
    - Put the short stem on it.
    - Drill a hole in the center of the bottom of your Monolith.
    - Insert the assembled base into the Monolith.
    - Place on table.

Notice anything? Yeah, the four curved feet molded to the bottom of your Monolith are still touching. So, what does this mean? Ultimately it means that putting a flying base on your Monolith is pointless.

Now you have a hole in the bottom of your Monolith, enjoy.

I know the rules say they're supposed to have a base but as you can see from my little exercise, it is not necessary for a Monolith.
    Karmoon: "well.. any kore = good kore" 12:35pm PST 23 May 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

Ay no! A leaking monolith!

Seriously though, that's kind of odd behaviour from people. If the rules on basing that state that you need to use the base that came with it, and the fact that the monolith does not come with a base is not enough for them, you should try just putting a clear piece of plastic on the bottom and saying that's the base. Don't even drill the hole just tape a circular piece of plastic to the bottom and claim that as the base.

And if they are SILL being muley about it, you could build like a little plasit table for it. That will bring it off the ground but also keep it from not stopping line of sight in most cases. Just build it small.
    Tyranids & Daemons: Soul & Biomatter please.

LO Rules

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    134 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by grantneodude View Post
    ...and the fact that the monolith does not come with a base...
    Neither of my Monoliths came with bases, but my understanding is that GW is now packaging new 'Liths with the same flying bases provided to Destroyers. The OP references a thread where this has been discussed. Having participated in that discussion, someone showed that new Monoliths are packed with the base. Thus the question is: do we have to use it (and would it be retroactive)? The answer is yes, according to 5e rules. But as I've show, it is a silly exercise and completely unnecessary in the case of a Monolith.
    Karmoon: "well.. any kore = good kore" 12:35pm PST 23 May 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by kore View Post
    Neither of my Monoliths came with bases, but my understanding is that GW is now packaging new 'Liths with the same flying bases provided to Destroyers. The OP references a thread where this has been discussed. Having participated in that discussion, someone showed that new Monoliths are packed with the base. Thus the question is: do we have to use it (and would it be retroactive)? The answer is yes, according to 5e rules. But as I've show, it is a silly exercise and completely unnecessary in the case of a Monolith.
    I just bought a monolith yesterday and it didn't have a base, is new monolith's packaging in the works? and is there a release date for it?
    and yes I am going to make judicious use of your exercise.
    Dear Game Designer,
    Signed,
    Scissors

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

102 (x5)

I think your example is best, remove the post and just set it directly on the flat base, and you appease them for basing it, yet still completely blocking LOS!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast