Can a Battlesuit TAU Army still work & be competitive in the New 40K ? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can a Battlesuit TAU Army still work & be competitive in the New 40K ?

Ok i'll start with a brief History, i prefer to play with an army i've selected because i like the models & enjoy adding in characterfull conversions, This is all fine & dandy until it comes to Tournaments. You see the rest of my mates & fellow Club Members who i attend Tourneys with are much more serious and tend to take armies that are built simply to win. Now given my method of approaching Tournaments i've actually not done too badly, but i do tend to get a bit of stick from my mates.

So i've decided to do a New TAU army designed from the Ground-Up to be as competitive as possible. I wanted to do a Battlesuit heavy army, but is this still viable under the new 40K Rules ?
    Basically i could really do with the help of all you experienced TAU players.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Victorus aut Mortis Shad0w_Reaper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Prophet of Vaul View Post
    Ok i'll start with a brief History, i prefer to play with an army i've selected because i like the models & enjoy adding in characterfull conversions, This is all fine & dandy until it comes to Tournaments. You see the rest of my mates & fellow Club Members who i attend Tourneys with are much more serious and tend to take armies that are built simply to win. Now given my method of approaching Tournaments i've actually not done too badly, but i do tend to get a bit of stick from my mates.

So i've decided to do a New TAU army designed from the Ground-Up to be as competitive as possible. I wanted to do a Battlesuit heavy army, but is this still viable under the new 40K Rules ?
    Basically i could really do with the help of all you experienced TAU players.
    I believe it certainly is still viable. I ran a full battlesuit army in 4th ed, but ive recently changed my list since I only had the bare minimum troops, and now that troops are the only scoring, I thought id better add in another squad of FW or two. The more points you spend on suits, the less you have for the now more important then ever troops section of the FOC.

The addition of true LOS has dealt a bit of a blow to a full suit list, as we cant hide them anymore really. Be careful of that.

And ive also found when running a suit heavy list, is that people generally dont give kindly in terms of army composition at tournies. My ~10 suits plus 3 hammerhead list was very powerful, and the amount of damage they dish out was incredible, but people dont like playing against a list like that.

But back to the point now, a full suit list is still very viable. But I dont think its as great as it was in 4th ed (just my opinion).

~SR~
    Space Wolves (Under Construction) | Circle of Orboros (Under Construction)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks thats what i was afraid of, so i was thinking
    3 x Broadside Suits
    2 x Hammerhead
    3 x Fire Warrions (is it best to just go for basic 10 man squads or to load up on M. Lights etc ?)
    Then 2 El commanders and all the Battlestits i can fit in.

The other option i considered was a full squad of 11 Vespid, would be right in thinking that they are a bit better now they have a cover save and the new los rules

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x6)

Thanks thats what i was afraid of, so i was thinking
    3 x Broadside Suits
    2 x Hammerhead
    3 x Fire Warrions (is it best to just go for basic 10 man squads or to load up on M. Lights etc ?)
    Then 2 El commanders and all the Battlestits i can fit in.

The other option i considered was a full squad of 11 Vespid, would be right in thinking that they are a bit better now they have a cover save and the new los rules
    You can't really load up on markerlights with fire warriors, maybe in a previous codex you could, but if you want markerlights you have to take pathfinders to get the best use out of them. I would say run 4 ten man squads of fire warriors and then pile on the suits.
    Legion Of Everblight: Abyslonia
    Protectorate of Menoth: Grand Exemplar Kreoss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x3)

I have found the following to be very effective in 5th. It is 1850 which is what I am guessing your tournies are.

HQ = Shas'el = 81 points
    - twin-linked flamer, frag projecter, hard-wired multi-tracker
    ( this guy can be good to deepstrike on some missions )
    HQ = Shas'el = 100 points
    - plasma rifle, cyclic ion-blaster, targeting array, hard-wired multi-tracker

Elites = 3 Crisis Suits = 159
    - twin-link missle pods, targeting array
    ( with so much good cover in 5th I find it best to just take the m-pods and force lots of saves even vs marines and the like )

Troops = 12 Fire Warriors = 120 points
    (these guys stand and defensive fire from objectives on your side of the table)
    Troops = 20 kroot + 6 hounds = 176 points
    Troops = 20 kroot + 6 hounds = 176 points
    ( infiltrate them if they can get into a forest otherwise hold them in reserves to do flank attacks these guys can be extremely useful)

Heavy Support = 2 Broadsides = 160 points
    - targeting array
    - targeting array
    - targeting array
    (going to take a lot of fire on them but so long as they take down your opponents AV 13+ units before they die you dont care, make sure they find good cover though)
    - You must set fire to water or you will be extinguished.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the feedback, i had a feeling that i was a bit late for a fully XV Heavy Force. With this in mind could anyone suggest a truley competitive TAU Force that includes XV's which i could use as a starting point?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

If you felt like being a real stinge u could go with a farsight list with a full hq all with TL Flamers and Fusion Blasters with HW Multi Tracker and Target Lock and it comes out to be about 600 points but id hate to be a horde army espcially against that and have 2 devilfish so u can reroll if you dont like where they are a hammerhead a squad of 3 broadsides 4 squads of 10X firewarriors with pulse carbines and a mix of crisis suits or stealth suits as elites

I personally would love to try it because it is the most stinge list i can think of without Lash of Submission or Mech Eldar but it would be really amusing deepstriking them all right next to a mass amount of squads then flaming and fusion the crap out of them then use pulse carbines on squads that u aint attacking and if possible take sniper drones (cant be bothered getting book to check)
    But this list probably ain advised because of the fact its really risky to use espcially for a new tau player

Or u could go 7 suits (1 commander 6 elites) 6 stealths and 2 broadsides with firewarriors and some other stuff if u want

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the sound of that list but i wont be able to take special characters in my local Tourneys, does Farsight add anything specific to the list (not read him in a while). Also what do you mean by stingy? Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

That list would be spat on because of the fact that its cheese u have a squad of 8 units deepstriking in between lots of units and basically shoot the crap out of them killing things from boyz to termies to land raiders, then after that have the pulse carbine squads and devil fishs to pin as many squads as you can and basically if you manage to do that then you win the game espcially if its KP
    And Farsight doesnt enable you to change your list (what does the 1+ for crisis squads mean cause that could affect him)
    U cant take certain units with him and ur also limited, but every unit that can take a bonding knife in the army can take one

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage. View Post
    That list would be spat on because of the fact that its cheese u have a squad of 8 units deepstriking in between lots of units and basically shoot the crap out of them killing things from boyz to termies to land raiders, then after that have the pulse carbine squads and devil fishs to pin as many squads as you can and basically if you manage to do that then you win the game espcially if its KP
    And Farsight doesnt enable you to change your list (what does the 1+ for crisis squads mean cause that could affect him)
    U cant take certain units with him and ur also limited, but every unit that can take a bonding knife in the army can take one
    The list is not cheesy it is simply bad.

The idea would not work anyway, what are the odds on landing exactly where you would need to be to get full effectiveness from the unit (yes even with the re-rolls).
    Even the idea of all TL suits is not advised, Flamers are not that good and to take down units you need more than one or two Flamers hitting a unit. You would be lucky to get enough suits in range to have all the weapon you need to hit.
    Plus have you ever tried deep striking 7 XV8's? It is a huge footprint , if just one of the models cannot be deployed you roll on the mishap table and then you either lose the whole unit or the opponent gets to deploy the unit or you have to put of the DS. Even with the PF Devilfish re-roll it is still risky and if you are DSing among massed units it gets risky to the point of being suicidal and is definitely not something to be used in a tournie. You should never ever build a list for tournies that relies on gimmicks or is a one trick pony.

I personally would not go with an all battle suit list, the new rules have made it very hard to get enough cover to keep the XV8 safe. I am not saying that XV8's and XV88's are not still effective ( I have 6 XV8's in my list) but you need to really think about how to keep them safe and active. Deathrains are still very nice and have the range and accuracy allied to the fact you can keep them at max range for survivability. HQ XV8's are a lot tougher to use well and unless you know what you are doing stick to the Fireknife multi Shas'El.

(On a side note Lyzaru, why are you advising flamers and a guess weapon on an HQ level XV8, utter waste of the suits superior stats, if you really must use those weapons just give them to a normal elite Shas,Vre, cheaper and just as effective)

Our vehicles have an immense advantage with disruption pods and multi trackers, plus the removal of the immob destroyed result really helps. I think they are a better option then the XV88 unit (though a mix of HH's and the XV88 can still work, just not all XV88's).
    The problem with the XV88 in 5th is it is simply to easy for the opponent to cross the field quickly now, what with run and more transports being fielded. You have to devote resources to protecting them whereas the Hammerhead and Skyray can work as individual entities that require no other units protection.

You need troops (obvious I know) and you really need Marker lights (the advantages are just to great not to not take them). Having Stealth's and Kroot offers you a lot of infiltrate and deployment options and the Kroot offer good solid shooting and assault protection (remember those fast units). If you want a suit heavy (ish) list then simply go for two HQ XV8's, maybe two BG's, two units of two Deathrains and a unit of two XV88's with A'S'S and Shield Drones. Maybe take a unit of Stealth's and then fill out the rest of the list with FW, Kroot and maybe a Hammerhead or two. Pathfinders are good as you can now use their Devilfish to transport other infantry units. I could quite happily put together a sample list for you by PM and Onlainari is also very good at list building for tournies as are many others on this forum.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. September 11th, 2008, 16:26