New to Warhammer 40k - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to Warhammer 40k

So my friend and I are going to be splitting the black reach set, and I will be taking the orks and he will be using the space marines. I have never played or seen or a 40k game, I have just played some fantasy. What I was thinking of, was that I would buy 1 or 2 boxed sets, and 1 set of burnas and lootas. I want to try my hand at converting, so I will be trying to make as many burnas and lootas as I can, but I just don't know if you have units of burnas or lootas or if they fall into the main squads.

The whole conversion idea for my army is going to be kind of an ice theme. I got this from one of the games workshop people was explaining how when a ork army attacks a planet they get some big astroids and stuff like that, then build bases on them, and then they throw the astroids into the planet. In my armys case they would be on an ice comet thing. Anywho, if someone could help me out on how I would want to set up things that would be great

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The first thing you'd want to get with Black Reach or a Battleforce, is the Codex, in your case the Ork Codex. From there my best advice would be to start slow, you don't want to buy a lot of models and then find you won't use them or don't need them. Once you get comfortable with your army and the rules you can start adding more to it to suit your strategy. With Black Reach you get a fairly balanced force which is perfect for someone new to the game.

For conversion advice you can look up articles here on LO. There's more than enough Info. for whatever you need to know.

Lootas and Burnas are their own unit, not a part of your Boyz (normal orks) squads.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Proxy first, and then make the final touches

First, I highly recommend reading the topic entitled 'the basics' in the Ork 2008 Index, on the main page. Myself and some other people put our heads together and figured out the basic rules every new ork player should knowh.

The next step you should take in regards to expanding your force...is see if anyone else will split a Blackreach set with you. Seriously, for $30 you get 20 more slugga boyz, 5 more nobz, another warboss and 3 more deffkoptas. That's a fantastic deal (22 boyz normally retails for $44), and you really need the boyz and deffkoptas, as I'd never use anything besides 5 or 1 deffkopta in each unit. 2-4 run panic after only a single casualty.

Anyway, the first thing I'd do is make a few powerklaws out of spare parts and bits, and put them in the units of regular slugga boyz. If nothing else, you could just replace a hand with a couple of random bits of plastic, and just make a klaw that looks like a wrench or lobster claw.

After that I'd try a few games. You might want to try using the nobz as kommandos, or just regular boyz. Nobz don't work very well at all on foot, not even in large groups. If you don't want vehicles, then I'd use them as kommandos and outflank, or just use them as normal boyz.

So yes, start off slow, start with a few small games, and then find out what kind of strategy you like using. After that, you can expand out with more troops. If you like the speed of the deffkoptas, then you might want to try out some trukks. If you like marching up large hordes of boyz, then you might want to invest in more boyz.

Pound for pound, point for point, the best investment you can make, once again, is another half of a black reach box. No matter how you expand your forces, all the units in that set would be of great use to you. Good luck!
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

+ Reply to Thread