Against an Armored Company - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Against an Armored Company

Hi all,

If this thread should be moved to the Army List area, feel free to move it, but I don't exactly have a list prepared yet, just looking for some advice.

I'm going to be visiting my old friend in Pennsylvania in the beginning of October so of course a friendly game of 40K will be involved. Thing is, my friend is going to be playing an armored company of which I know nothing about. We've both just recently picked up the new edition so it'll both be our first game under the new rules. My question is, with an armored company, what can I expect and what would be things to take? Is there a "chapter approved" PDF I can download somewhere to read up on it?

I'm planning on beefing up on Destroyers and H. Destroyers, but are there other tactics against this type of army that anyone could suggest. If I remember from our phone call, we had agreed on 1500 pts, but something makes me think it was more like 1750 or 2000. (Old age is setting in and I can't quite remember.) I'll post a list in the other section once I have it sorted out.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Your faithful Necron Warlord,

Jroode

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, there is a PDF to download on Armored Companies. It can be found here. Though I haven't fielded an AC yet, I know a little of what you can expect. Lots of Leman Russes, and lots of every fire. Also, every infantry squad has to be in a Chimera, so the army can move faster than most IG armies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

cron vs ac is pretty balanced. one good battle cannon shot can wipe a whole squad with no wbb allowed, but conversely, a 20-warrior phalanx with gauss weapons rule can really ruin a tank's day...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you to all for the input. One other question, logistically speaking. I own 9 destroyers; would you suggest taking three squads of 3 or two squads, 4 and 5 each? I get worried about leaving some units hanging out there on their own, but would also like more maneuverability on the field.

Thanks again!

jroode

The Allmighty Chaos Boots Process's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x3)

well you will be going for alot of glances. 3 destroyers is plenty to get 2-3 glances at least. More groups is more targets. 5/4 is just overkill.
    What is Aurora Prime?
    "behold, I am the flamer, the searing one, the combustion of all spontanious flash fires, I am process" BIG RED BUTTON!

My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

In a 1500 list, your friend is going to (or should) be fielding at least 6 Leman Russes. 4 Troops, 1 Commander and 1 Tank Ace. The Tank Ace may/may not be an upgraded version of the Leman Russ called the Vanquisher. It's common for the Ace to use the Vanquisher turret to benefit the BS of 4.

He may also use supporting Storm Troopers in Chimeras for quick deploy plasma/melta or objective grabbing.

There are a few things you should think of when fighting an Armoured Company:
    1. His only Troops unit is a Leman Russ, this means that he cannot capture objectives. Only contest them. Use this to your advantage.
    2. Your Necron Lord must have a Resurrection Orb to counter those AP 3 insta-kill pie plates. Try to keep at least one model from every unit in range.
    3. Your best friends here are your lowly Necron Warriors. With even 10 Warriors rapid firing, you're bound to roll some sixes.
    4. Since you have little to no enemy infantry to worry about, consider equipping your Lord with a Warscythe. That 2D6 + S for Armour Penetration will hurt.
    5. 10 Scarab bases with Disruption Fields. That's 40 attacks in an assault that auto-glance on 6's. For 140 points. Get three squads of these. Cheap and expendable suicide squads.

Note: With the new edition, you cannot outright destroy a vehicle with Gauss glancing. But remember that a vehicle which is Immobilised with no weapons will be destroyed on either result again.

You could try some Destroyers or Heavy Destroyers, but mass fire will instead work in your favour here. 10 Warriors will cost slightly less than 4 Destroyers, but have 6 more wounds and 8 more shots. They are also far more survivable. Scarabs really come into their own against a vehicle-heavy list.

All in all the Necrons are very capable against heavy armour, most definitely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x1)

10 Scarab bases with Disruption Fields. That's 40 attacks in an assault that auto-glance on 6's. For 140 points. Get three squads of these. Cheap and expendable suicide squads.
    The problem with this against AC is if your opponent has decided to take a Hellhound. S6 flamer templates (no cover, no armor for the scarabs) with an 18" range will quickly end scarab squads by the base. You may be better spending the 16 points per base on more warriors.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by SMann233 View Post
    S6 flamer templates (no cover, no armor for the scarabs)
    Don't forget that Turbo-boosting scarabs will get an invulnerable save. Their cover save is also at +1 due to them being a Small Target.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Hmm, I'm not so sure about that. Turbo-boosting grants a cover save, which is improved because scarab swarms are small, but Template weapons ignore cover saves...
    So do scarabs still get their turbo-boost cover save because they are so fast moving that even hitting them with a template weapon is really hard, or does the template weapon just fill that are with nastiness and hit everything under it regardless of how fast a unit is moving? As I can't check the rules at the moment, if I came across this situation I would either dice it off or concede that Template weapons ignore all cover saves, including conditional ones.
    Is there a specific ruling regarding this?

Not that I'd see it as much of a problem for scarabs, template weapons being only range 18 would mean you could just stick right at the edge of its range, take minimal casualties, and then charge in on your next turn.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

545 (x8)

Oops sorry, that's a mistake on my part. Scarabs do in fact not get the protection from Turbo Boosting (see this thread for clarification). So the Hellhound would indeed be very effective. However, that's a lot of potentially a lot of scarabs and the Hellhound can't get them all.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast