need some help - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: need some help

Big fish in a little pond raytard22's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

need some help

Hey guys,
    I've been collecting tau for a little while now and I"m finally at the stage of assembling a 1750pt army... I have posted a few lists durring 4th edition to get a feel for what ppl take and what's better and more streamlined build. Now I have a couple of lists that I could run at this point, but with 5th edition and everyone having cover I figured I'd pose some questions that jumped out in my mind.

First, are single man XV8 squads worth while anymore, I understand the advantage of jump shoot jump(preferably hide) but in 5th edition and the true line of sight it seems to me this could be a little more vexing task. The second problem I see with this unit, is a fairly easy kill point for a determined opponent. After playing in a GT recently I realized that I don't really even like a single man obliterator squad.

This brings me to my next question, commanders... Is it worth while now to have an entourage with multiple wounds to make him a harder kill point? Also in 4th , the plas/mp build or plas/fusion gun build were very popular. Again with everyone getting 4+ cover is it worth taking weapons like the fragmentation gun that negates cover saves? Also is it worth getting the higher BS commander now?

Lastly how do you think the Tau army ranks in relation to other armies. I think it has a few nasty tricks still and the ability to handle many different foes easily.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by raytard22 View Post
    First, are single man XV8 squads worth while anymore, I understand the advantage of jump shoot jump(preferably hide) but in 5th edition and the true line of sight it seems to me this could be a little more vexing task. The second problem I see with this unit, is a fairly easy kill point for a determined opponent. After playing in a GT recently I realized that I don't really even like a single man obliterator squad.
    They are still worth it. All that's changed is whether or not a retinue is useful or even required. This has more to do with personal preference than any real drawbacks or benefits. In general, I think making squads of duos or trios are more necessary in the new 5th edition gaming environment. You can still hide monat suits, but there are likely to be fewer hiding places. I tend to run with two duo commanders and at least one squad of 3 Crisis suits. Typically I run the commanders solo, but they can also be joined together, and I've experimented with that a little. It still works out fine. The bigger problem with kill points are drones on devilfish....
    This brings me to my next question, commanders... Is it worth while now to have an entourage with multiple wounds to make him a harder kill point? Also in 4th , the plas/mp build or plas/fusion gun build were very popular. Again with everyone getting 4+ cover is it worth taking weapons like the fragmentation gun that negates cover saves? Also is it worth getting the higher BS commander now?
    I always liked the AFP. We tend not to use flamers much, so it's always been a virtually necessary weapon in my arsenal. The new shooting rules with respect to templates only make it more attractive. I'd urge everybody to give it a try.

I also think that plasma rifles are still necessary, too. 90% of my games are against MEQs, and denying them armour saves is very important. There is a big difference between allowing 3+ saves and allowing 4+ saves. Don't forget to use markerlights to lower those cover saves, too! I have as many as 15 markerlights in my 2000 pt list.
    Lastly how do you think the Tau army ranks in relation to other armies. I think it has a few nasty tricks still and the ability to handle many different foes easily.
    The change in skimmer rules and the redefinition of defensive weapons has had a huge impact. I would say the army isn't as effective on the move as it used to be. On the other hand, mech Tau was a clear "power build" under 4th edition, and it's still plenty potent today, too. Disruption pods are 2nd only to Eldar holofields in terms of vehicle protection in the new game, so we're still quite tough. I still see Tau doing very well in my local games group and tourneys. But -- and I think this is A Good Thing -- there is now a more diverse set of armies that can be "ultra-"competitive. Tau are still one of them, IMHO.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

+ Reply to Thread