Model height and 5th edition! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Model height and 5th edition!

4th edition had standard categories for height so all modellers could give free reign to their fantasies and model their units as the preferred: the height was that and you couldn't change anything about it.

But now we are using real life PoV... and I was wondering how could this inhibit my new army idea.

I am working on a 'stealer cult army, with stealer cult models (oldies and converts) but using the Tyr codex (patriarch is a broodlord, hybrids/broodbrothers are hybrids, maguses for zoantropes and so on and so forth) and this morning an issue came to mind: maguses!

As I said I was thinking of using zoantrope stats, though the height is going to be GREATLY different... could that create "legal" problems?

But apart from that: how would you guys solve it modelling-wise?

- Just love that maki! -

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

The Allmighty Chaos Boots Process's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x3)

In reality the Point of view practice has been in place alot longer than 5:th ed. Having taller and shorter models has it's pros and cons and pending on the terrain you play in it could actually be disadvantageous to have short models. Especially if said model is shooty. If you can't physically see over the barricade with your model you can't shoot.

Now when the smoke clears there are some very serious advantages to having smaller models in a nids army. Take for instance the ripepr swarm that can easily be completly out of los by obstacles that would normally only give a 5+ save to infantry.

The answer to your question is that though it is not technically illegal as long as you follow wysiwyg standards its very beardy to use models that can exploit terrain better than the standards set by the intended models produced by GW.

You won't be making alot of friends exploiting size and modelling quirks to squeeze every last bit of cheese out of the game and then I think your missing the point. If however the list your building is not competitativly built I do think you will get away with this.
    What is Aurora Prime?
    "behold, I am the flamer, the searing one, the combustion of all spontanious flash fires, I am process" BIG RED BUTTON!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

I agree many a game in 4thedand before I have been playing and arguments strike up about if a unit really can see over the wall to shoot the other one - sort of an unwritten rule. Its the result of the game being a modeling game and not made with fully preset components (terrain) or on a computer.
    I think like Process - people like a challenge and a themed army (especially painted) so barring official competitions (where you would have to check with the organizers - do this in person if you can rather than over the phone where the receptionist tends to only have a set of stock answers) I can't see anyone objecting
    member of LO JCHAT
    Legion Of Jaffa Consuming Hatters and Terribly Superfluous

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    126 (x4)

I use 2nd ed converted Zoanthropes that are pinned on to the base and not using the legs that came with them. They're about half the size of the 4th ed thropes. I've had no complaints with models and have played in quite a few tourneys with them.

I don't think it matters with the thrope how tall it is since it's classed as infantry. It'll give and receive cover just like a gaunt unit. As for shooting, I don't use warp blast so it doesn't matter how tall it is. In fact, shorter is better.
    Tim Wright

"The internet perceives censorship as damage, and routes around it."
    -John Gilmore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    156 (x3)

For anything non-standard, discuss it with your opponent beforehand. That's usually enough to settle it outside a
    tourney.

Sorry, didn't realize this was a dupe thread.
    Last edited by TamCoan; September 19th, 2008 at 16:25.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

Have him floating in mid-air? What comes to mind is some of the War Hammer Fantasy wizard type models that are raised above the base with magical smoke/etc. Just a thought.
    Tyranid and Eldar player....don't ask me how I ended up playing these two armies, just smile, nod, slowly move away and don't make eye contact!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've come across this problem several times since many of my 'nids are custom. I just hate that they're punishing people for making their models in dynamic and dramatic poses.... we should just use blocks to represent our figures then so we keep TLoS fair and balanced for all armies.
    "Beware the fury of a patient man." - John Dryden
    Current Armies (W/D/L)
    Hive Fleet Terminus: 10-1-1
    Ultramarines: 0-0-1
    Raven Guard: 0-0-0

+ Reply to Thread