Starting Necrons-recommended amount of warriors? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x2)

Starting Necrons-recommended amount of warriors?

Planning on starting a Necron army at Xmas using the Phalanx army boxset and then to pick up a battleforce as well. As far as I can remember that will give me about 70 warriors.

What is a good amount of Warriors in a squad? Most lists Ive seen use the minimum 10-is there any benefit/drawback to using bigger squads besides the points cost?
    And how many squads is recommended in 1500/2000 point battles?
    Given that troops are so vital in 5th ed?

The rest of the army will mainly be destroyer heavy backed up by the monolith.

Ive pretty much dismissed Immortals as I just see them as a more expensive warrior with slightly better guns. (that and the actual cost of buying them) Am I right in this line of thinking?

I know theres another thread down the page about starting Necrons as well but I figure my question is from a differant approach so figured Id make a new thread.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

I prefer to field 12-man squads of warriors. The reason they're put into lower squads is because Necron warriors are depressingly vulnerable to sweeping advance with their low Init. So keeping smaller squads means that a pair of guardsmen running down your warrior squads won't take too much of a bite out of your Phase Out. Aside from this it's also easier to maneuver smaller squads AND needing multiple troops squads we try and fit in smaller squads so that three or five squads of warriors can have some backup.

In 1500pts the standard is 3X10 squads of warriors, 2k alot of players will boost this to 4 squads.

That's...an incorrect observation. Immortals are far more effective than warriors, this isn't a comparison of storm-bolter vs. bolter, think more heavy bolter vs. bolter. Also Immortals have a higher toughness making a block of them very difficult to take out. There's a guide to build Immortals FROM warriors floating around. Don't count them out I've never regretted forking over $100 for mine.

Well the warrior-destroyer build will be largely dependent on whether you want lots of warriors, lots of destroyers or a balance. Destroyers are largely considered the best unit in the Necron codex. Two squads of three is generally a decent plan. The warrior Phalanx is definitely a good buy as well, I'd say build 3 squads of 10-12 warriors, then add in everything else. Scarabs are good for keeping the enemy troops out of your face. Monolith is a decidedly frightening tank for your opponents as well.

I'll run a quick list for ya.

HQ: Lord w/ res-orb

TRP: 4X10 Warriors

FA: 2x3 Destroyers

FA 1x8 Scarabs

HS: Monolith

For anti-combat I prefer Tomb-Spyders over Scarabs but that's something you'll have to look into.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Memnoch View Post
    Planning on starting a Necron army at Xmas using the Phalanx army boxset and then to pick up a battleforce as well. As far as I can remember that will give me about 70 warriors.

What is a good amount of Warriors in a squad? Most lists Ive seen use the minimum 10-is there any benefit/drawback to using bigger squads besides the points cost?
    And how many squads is recommended in 1500/2000 point battles?
    Given that troops are so vital in 5th ed?

The rest of the army will mainly be destroyer heavy backed up by the monolith.

Ive pretty much dismissed Immortals as I just see them as a more expensive warrior with slightly better guns. (that and the actual cost of buying them) Am I right in this line of thinking?

I know theres another thread down the page about starting Necrons as well but I figure my question is from a differant approach so figured Id make a new thread.
    I prefer 15 in a squad, I always have at least 12, and no more than 17, but that's also because I like to have 3 monoliths and I like to teleport things....alot....

4 units of troops is "enough" for objectives, unless you are wanting the complete and utter demoralization...

you shouldn't dismiss immortals, toughness 5 S5 AP4, they are very tough and against S3 T3 opponents they far outweigh their point cost. in previous edidions I always fielded 3 full units of them, being Assault 2, 24" they are the most mobile foot troops.

personally I just love a lord on destroyer body with a wraith bodyguard unit, but not very many people agree with me there.
    Dear Game Designer,
    Rock is Cheese. Paper is fine.
    Signed,
    Scissors

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x5)

Ok here's my 2 cents, when facing any CC oriented army, we will die HORRIBLE deaths to sweeping advance, especially since rapid fire is 12" and puts us right in their FACE! With that I field 10 man squads, adding up more as needed. Let's me 'spread' my shots more as well as make getting assaulted pretty simple. My math for how many warriors per game is I take 10 warriors per 500pts MINIMUM (helps keep phase up good, for normal cost).

As to your mention of immortals, they ROCK! The only thing I personally feel is better are normal destroyers. But if you don't have enough money to field 15 destroyers, immortals mixed with destroyers is great! for just 10 points you gain a MOVE and shoot full 24", 2 shots, S5, and they are also T5 which means they are FAR more durable...all that said, they are a great unit! I personally field 2 units of 5 minimum or a full squad of 10 if I do the veil (which I tend not to use anymore). I field bunkers in many of our games and dropping some immortals in a walled bunker is always nice for 24" range while protected!
    "There is only do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Alzer View Post

That's...an incorrect observation. Immortals are far more effective than warriors, this isn't a comparison of storm-bolter vs. bolter, think more heavy bolter vs. bolter.
    The above quote was pretty much what I had been thinking but I see Ive to look at it from a differant perspective. Thanks for the replies so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say use at least 30 necron warriors. How you filed them is up to you either 3 teams of 10 warriors or 2 teams of 15 warriors. Don't wanna easily phase out!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x3)

I like using 4-5 squads of 12-15 warriors. Necrons got skrewed by the 5th edition rules, being that only troops can capture opjectives. And those damn warriors are our only troops. If you only have 2 squads out there, one gets fubar'd you're pretty much done.
    Yes, I did deep-strike your sister...
    Necrons : W-8 D-3 L-7 (Sleeping in their TombFoam, waiting for a new codex)
    Chaos Forces (CSM/CD): W-42 D-19 L-28
    Apocalypse Games : W-4 D-0 L-1 (4 Titans, Brass Scorp, 3 Baneblades, 2 Bombers, 3 Fighters, and a Partrage in a Pear Tree)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In a 1000 point army I take 3 squads of 10. A squad of immortals my lord with res orb and a few scarabs. As the game grows I take that list start adding a monolith and destroyers until I get to 2000 points where I throw in another squad of 10 warriors.

My games I play are a little different from the norm however. Unless im actually at the hobby shop (very very rarely these days) all the people I play with play a full extermination game. No turn limit. play till every model the other player has is dead.

Kinda puts necrons at a disadvantage with phase out however as instead of needing to kill everything they just need to kill less than 75%. So i need as many necron counting models as i can get. Thats why i started collecting a gunline tau army, when that failed i moved on to sisters of battle, they seem to be doing much better for me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had good results from 15-man squads, so 2-3 of those should tide you over well in a 1500 pt. game, and definitely in a 2k point game. Flayed Ones have been invaluable to me, having something CC-oriented is nothing to sneeze at, and they aren't vulnerable to the sweeping advance like Warriors. Immortals are excellent too (though I've yet to use any), an assault weapon is unheard of for Necrons and proves to be... useful. Overall the Phalanx is a good place to start for an army list, though I'm going to replace the 'Lith in lieu of Flayed Ones and Tomb Spyders. The concept of an army sans 'Lith interests me.

Scarabs also rule btw, very useful against things like Orks. Not very good WS, but the movement and high wounds make them good at intercepting things that would hurt your Warriors and make Phasing Out come much sooner than you want.

My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

In 1000 points I tend to field 30 Warriors in 3 x units of 10. In 1500 I make this 40 in 4 units.

The reason I keep them to 10 each is because should one get assaulted, it's very likely that it will get wiped out in the sweeping advance. Minimise the losses by splitting them up into several units, in my opinion.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. September 23rd, 2008, 09:49