tankbustas - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: tankbustas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

tankbustas

hello everyone i am thinking of including a unit of tankbustas but after reading some peoples opinions i am not so sure. please post any tactics and unit compositions that you use or post reasons not to include them and some alternative units

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

I'm not a big fan personally. I like bomm squigs and tankhammers, but Glory Hogs just kills them for ==Me==. I'll take Lootas any day. The best use I have for Tankbustas is a smaller squad riding in a Looted Wagon with max hammers and squigs. You drive around, letting the little buggers go and pop tanks and then proceed to smack other tanks around with S10.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

5th edition killed the radio star

Unfortunately, Tankbustas are one of those units that got crippled by 5th edition. In 4th, they were one of my absolute favorite units, capable to destroying anything with concentrated rokkit fire, usable while moving.

In either edition, the best way to use them is like this: 9-13 tankbustas w/nob, powerklaw, bosspole. Put that in a looted wagon or battlewagon with a kannon and grot riggers. The transport was essential to both keep them alive and get them near viable targets. I'm not a fan of tankhammers, although in 5th edition they make more sense.

It wasn't exactly cheap, but 9 rokkit shots got 3 hits, and against most vehicles that's 1-2 vehicle damage results. Against elite troops it was even better, since it ignored 3+ armor and caused instant death. Marines, nobz and the like would fall to the rokkits in short order. The only problem was 'glory hogs', which stated that if the tankbustas could see a vehicle, then they had to shoot/assault a vehicle, regardless of it was within range or not.

The problem in 5th edition is that line of sight is now 'true', meaning it's virtually impossible for a unit to not be able to see virtually everything on the field. This suddenly meant that tankbustas could usually only fire at vehicles, and if the vehicle in question is 48 inches away, they can't shoot or assault at all. If the unit of tankbustas is small, they might be able to hide behind their own battlewagon, to avoid line of sight to a vehicle, but this is tricky, and the less tankbustas you have in the unit, the less hits they'll do every turn.

To make matters worse, glancing hits no longer destroy vehicles. This means that tankbustas can't destroy armor 14 without immobilizing and destroying all its weapons first, and even armor 13 is difficult. Tankhammers make it easier in close combat, but you have to give up that unit's shooting for the entire game to do it.

Last, but not least, only troops can claim objectives, which draws spending so much on a non-scoring unit into question. For this reason, burnas have generally fallen out of favor as well.

The new popular anti-armor units are now lootas and warbikes, and I definitely go with the lootas. Despite having strength 7, they can put out more than enough shots to take out anything besides armor 14. The catch is, strength 8 rokkits don't destroy armor 14 either. They just can't put out enough shots.

The best way to destroy vehicles is now a nob with a powerklaw, which is why warbikes are popular for it. You supercharge 24 inches the first turn (staying out of assault range of enemy troops if you can), and then assault a vehicle, getting 4 attacks with strength 9 against the vehicles back armor. If the vehicle moved the previous turn, you hit on 4+. If it didn't move, you automatically hit.

Tankbustas just really aren't worth it anymore. The tankbusta bombs are nice, but they can't match the effectiveness of a powerklaw, and your units with powerklaws will be good at dealing with things beside tanks.

I'd go with one unit of 10-13 lootas instead.
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by ==Me== View Post
    I'm not a big fan personally. I like bomm squigs and tankhammers, but Glory Hogs just kills them for ==Me==. I'll take Lootas any day. The best use I have for Tankbustas is a smaller squad riding in a Looted Wagon with max hammers and squigs. You drive around, letting the little buggers go and pop tanks and then proceed to smack other tanks around with S10.

This is exactly what I do. I have a unit of 5 tankbustaz that I usually slap in a trukk with max hammers and go around popping tanks. I guess it depends on who/what you're playing. I have a friend that plays a very tank heavy IG army, and he hates that a 75 point unit can knock out 3 tanks with ease.
    Eldar Project Log
    Saim-Hann Eldar: 5000 Points

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Trukk?

Quote Originally Posted by wrekka View Post
    This is exactly what I do. I have a unit of 5 tankbustaz that I usually slap in a trukk with max hammers and go around popping tanks. I guess it depends on who/what you're playing. I have a friend that plays a very tank heavy IG army, and he hates that a 75 point unit can knock out 3 tanks with ease.
    Trukk? Do you mean looted wagon? Tankbustas don't have the option to take a trukk. They'd have to kick a unit of boyz out of theirs and steal it, after the game began.

Hmm...The thought of 5 tankbustas w/3 tankhammers, nob, bosspole in a looted wagon w/big shoota does have merit. It'd only be 130 points and thanks to the nob and bosspole it wouldn't be completely defenseless.

Still, I think warbikes do a similar job much better, thanks to supercharging, and the fact they only take up a fast attack slot, and if destroyed, only provide 1 kill point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Too bad they don't have rokkits on sticks and swing them at people (rokkit polo? now there's an idea)

Tankbustas are hardly an optimal unit, but since I've got plenty of Rokkit boyz lying around since AoBR got ==Me== all those big shootas, I've been using them for fun.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by mynameisgrax View Post
    Trukk? Do you mean looted wagon? Tankbustas don't have the option to take a trukk. They'd have to kick a unit of boyz out of theirs and steal it, after the game began.

Hmm...The thought of 5 tankbustas w/3 tankhammers, nob, bosspole in a looted wagon w/big shoota does have merit. It'd only be 130 points and thanks to the nob and bosspole it wouldn't be completely defenseless.

Still, I think warbikes do a similar job much better, thanks to supercharging, and the fact they only take up a fast attack slot, and if destroyed, only provide 1 kill point.
    Ah - yes.. I do mean a looted wagon. I havent tried the nob w/ bosspole in the unit, because i feel like they're disposable. They're there for one reason only... blow stuff up.
    Eldar Project Log
    Saim-Hann Eldar: 5000 Points

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

511 (x8)

Hmm...

Any unit that costs over 100 points, or provides the enemy more than 1 kill point, isn't disposable. It costs too much one way or the other for that, and 5 tankbustas in a looted wagon breaks both those rules.

The only thing you need to do to keep them from being a problem is give them a nob and bosspole. You could also give the nob a powerklaw if you like, but at that point, you might as well use 9 tankbustas, since you're spending a good amount on them anyway.

That's the problem with tankbustas. They aren't cheap enough to be disposable without taking away their nob/bosspole and/or vehicle, and 5 orks standing on the field don't have the slightest chance in surviving long enough to be effective.

6 tankbustas w/3 tankhammers, nob, bosspole in a looted wagon w/kannon would only cost 150 points, about the same as a unit of trukkboyz, and it'd be a decent alternative to warbikes, but I'd still go with the 6 warbikes w/nob, powerklaw, bosspole, simply because of their speed.

+ Reply to Thread