Can the Avatar join units? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can the Avatar join units?

This might be a bit of a silly question, but canthe Avatar of Khaine join other units? For instance, could the Avatar join a 20 man squadof Guardians as its leader, or because it isn't described as an independant character in its profile does this mean it always fights alone?

I'm mostly curious since I am sick of my Avatar being shot to hell before it even gets within twelve inches.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he isn't described as an IC, he can't join other units. Maybe I'm just making things, but I do remember that somwhere in the rulebook stated that MC can't join units and always fight on their own, unless their own rule says otherwise (i.e Hive Tyrant and Tyrant Guard).

[edit]: Ok, i've found it. MC's can be Independent characters (but still it must be noted in it's codex entry), and can join units, but unless they join unit of other MC's they still can be targeted as normal. Since they are... umm huge ?
    Last edited by Shas'saal N'dras; September 26th, 2008 at 11:44.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's what I thought, but figured it was worth asking anyway. Oh well, I guess I'll haveto find another wayto make the Avatar live longer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Remember, the Avatar should still be able to get a bit of extra speed with the old 'jog' rules.

Additionally, he's great value for his price, and people fear him. So you can purposely use him as a decoy to draw enemy fire while other elements close in for the kill and spring the trap.

Yeah, it's a bit mean to treat your own units like that... but I'm a Chaos player so what do you expect from me?

LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

Get a farseer to fortune him so he can reroll his saves and he should last a bit longer - their maybe better uses for your farseer though.

Is he getting shot up in all your games, or just against a specific army type?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I generally fight two armies most of the time - Orks and Tau. Against the Orks he does a lot better, generally getting into a fair few close combats but because of the sheer number of boyz he has to fightsometimes, he can be swamped and taken out. This isn't as much a case when he gets the charge in and not the boyz (the increase in S for furious charge can get me sometimes) but power Clawz are a bane to him.

Tau is an entirely different case. My flatmate will almost always fire the rail guns from both his Hammerhead and his Broadsides and even with rerollable Invulnerable saves he goes down eventually.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

I've not played Tau, but they do have that reputation - it would make sense to get a faster moving CC unit to mess up his fire teams - I imagine Harlies would do wonders here. If you take a Shadowseer he needs to roll 2d6x2 for spotting range (average 14" max 24") which means you should be able to get the Harlies into combat fairly easily as they should be in move-run-charge range (average 15" max 18") before he can hit you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Daziel View Post
    I've not played Tau, but they do have that reputation - it would make sense to get a faster moving CC unit to mess up his fire teams - I imagine Harlies would do wonders here. If you take a Shadowseer he needs to roll 2d6x2 for spotting range (average 14" max 24") which means you should be able to get the Harlies into combat fairly easily as they should be in move-run-charge range (average 15" max 18") before he can hit you.
    I have a ten squad of Harlequins, and for the most part they have helped (with Shadowseer obv) but there have been the occassion where due to bad luck they have just been shot anyway. It also kind of sucks when I get them in close, get a charge and kill a squad outright, only to be shot to nothing at point blank range. Ah the joys of 5th edition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Against Tau, using full squad of Harlequins is an overkill. Literally. Two smaller squads can be as effective, in addition by spliting them you give you're enemy more targets to shoot at also it gives you a chance to tie up more enemy units. One unit won't win the game, and if you launch assault, try to do this at whole front line if possible, attacking two nearby units in such way can increase survival rate. Fire support is also crucial for launching an successful assault (unless you can crush you're enemy under sheer number of bodies). Try to weaken nearby units so you're harlequins won't get shred to pieces if they rip apart their target. Decoy (for example Falcon loaded up with Fire Dragons moving in on his Hammerhead, squad of War Walkers or Scorpions moving in from the flank and shooting/charging at nearby units) can also be usefull for distracting you're opponent but you must be ready to sacrifice it to gain advantage. Of course this tactic won't work against more experianced opponent, but still you could seriously mess up his plans.

+ Reply to Thread

LinkBacks (?)

1. September 26th, 2008, 12:47