best way to equip a fex - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

best way to equip a fex

I was just reading a post and i wanted to add in my 2 cents. The person in the post was asking the best way to equip a fex.

I hope you can tell from these pictures but this is all the same model. What i did here was use small magnets on each of his arms so that all his guns are interchageable and i can equip him differently each time i use him. Instead of buying a different model each time i want a different setup.

Any way the moral of the story is the best way to equip such a mutable creature is to change him as you see fit imo.

empty model
    100_0482.jpg

claws in the back
    100_0483.jpg

claws in the front
    100_0485.jpg

venom cannon
    100_0486.jpg

head options
    100_0487.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

THis is such a cool idea. Why didn't I think of this?? lol Thanks for sharing. +rep2u

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think these were the ones i used incase any one wants to know

K&J Magnetics - Products

Just an fyi It takes quite a bit to magnet out a fex all the way with all his options. I got magnets for head, 4 arm slots, and back upgrades. I also do the same thing with my warriors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chrono10 View Post
    i think these were the ones i used incase any one wants to know

K&J Magnetics - Products

Just an fyi It takes quite a bit to magnet out a fex all the way with all his options. I got magnets for head, 4 arm slots, and back upgrades. I also do the same thing with my warriors.

Nice one mate, been looking for a decent magnet site!
    By the way, what are the dimensions of those magnets like? I know it compares it to a coin in the pic, but that looks like an American coin, which I have no idea about! It looks like you might have to hollow out the weapon joints a bit to fit them in....

And finally, I'm magnetising 3 Fex's soon, so many magnets do you think I'm gonna need to just do the weapon options and maybe the heads (so not the backs)?

Cheers, and +rep
    Herald of the Colonel; Festooned with pistols, riddled with vermin, and finger lickin' good...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lets see.. to fully equip him takes alot so this is what i did just take what you need outa this.

On the model
    6 for the body 4 arm holes, 1 head, 1 back

For upgrades
    4 for scything talons
    2 crushing claws
    2 twin linked fleshborer
    2 twin linked devourer
    1 venom cannon (just an fyi on these i only used the gun arm not the clip or ammo part.)
    1 barb strangler (just an fyi on these i only used the gun arm not the clip or ammo part.)
    1 one for Adrenal gland on the back ( the way i set up the back upgrades it seems to hold on well with the carapace upgrade that is already there)

Tail upgrade
    Also there is one more thing for tail upgrade its kinda small unless i sunk the magnets well enough its hard to get them in so instead i just used some wall tack to hold the different tails in place. Not sure what its called but its like a gooey Substance that you use to like hold up posters on a wall or something.

Tip
    Just make sure when your putting them on the model you make sure to have them polarized correctly, for instance have all the sides that face the model be South pole of the magnet. that way you can use any arm in any slot.

Size used
    as for the size i used it was 1/8" wide and 1/16" tall. For a tiny magnet these are powerfull i can pick up my warriors by the arms no problem.

Here are some pictures of my warrior:

This one is a warrior with the Fex's claws
    100_0490.jpg

Warrior with rending claws and venom cannon ( i only used the gun half not the ammo part)
    100_0493.jpg

Picture of Adrenal gland on the armor carapace the magnet that holds this carapace to the Fex's back is strong enough to hold the Adrenal gland on as well so i didnt need and extra magnet here.
    100_0495.jpg

Clearer picture of Adrenal gland to help guage the size shown in the next picture.
    100_0496.jpg

Picture of the crazy things you can do when they are all polarized the same way.
    This picture is also to try to show actuall size of 1/8" X 1/16" look at the bottem 3 peices. The middle one sticks out the most since it was somehow painted red. Also as you can see that size fits rather well on the end of a warriors scything claw.
    100_0497.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice one! You've been a big help so far!

Just one last thing, do you have to sink the magnets into the model quite far? And if so, how do you hollow out the joints to fit them in? I admit my modelling skills aint great, and all i have to hand is a file and a scalpel so would I need anything else?

Cheers!
    Herald of the Colonel; Festooned with pistols, riddled with vermin, and finger lickin' good...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    208 (x4)

For my Winged Hive Tyrant, I've decided that I would be going with the Magnet option as well; I used my dremel to countersink the magnets into the top arm-hole, and then I hollowed out the base of the wing to put the magents in there as well. Now I can either have a Walkrant or a Flyrant!

The MagnetFex is an outstanding way to get the most out of your fex kits...in fact, if you wanna get even further in depth, you can magnetize adrenal glands or carapace sections, tail maces and scythes.....so much potential!
    By the way, I get my own magnets from Amazing Magnets

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    156 (x3)

Yeah, I do the same with my MCs. All of the figs below are magnetized.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    156 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by ajay29 View Post
    Nice one! You've been a big help so far!

Just one last thing, do you have to sink the magnets into the model quite far? And if so, how do you hollow out the joints to fit them in? I admit my modelling skills aint great, and all i have to hand is a file and a scalpel so would I need anything else?

Cheers!
    Try to put your magnets flush with the surface. If it's too deep, you'll not get a flush connection and your magnets will feel weak. You want direct contact between the magnets on both sides. Nothing wrong with drilling a little too deep and filling with greenstuff for the right depth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is an amazing idea haha im so glad you shared i am for sure ordering magnets and doign that to all my fex and tyrant.

But i do have some questions
    what tools do i need to get the magnets into the model
    and would i be able to do this with a metal motel like the hive tyrant?

Thanks for everything guys

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. September 27th, 2008, 17:21