Skyray's Markerlights Are Vulnerable - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Skyray's Markerlights Are Vulnerable

Going into a game tonight, taking my Skyray along, and it suddenly occurred to me that the 5th edition rules for vehicular damage no longer qualify what weapons are eligible for being destroyed as the previous 4th edition rules did. That is, where 4th edition specified that a weapon had to have a Strength, 5th edition does no such thing.

Damaged - Weapon Destroyed
    One of the vehicle's weapons (chosen by the attacker) is destroyed - ripped off by the force of the attack. If a vehicle has no weapons left, treat this result as an 'immobilised' result instead. This can include vehicle upgrades that function as weapons, such as pintle-rnounted storm bolters or hunter-killer missiles.
    Markerlights have a weapon statline and are employed just like weapons so ... it looks to me like they can now be destroyed at your opponent's option.

ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

I don't use any Skyray. But there is another reason not to I suppose.

Rather gutting I suppose. Unless errata says they can't....which it doesn't yet.
    "I have dug my grave in this place and I will either triumph or I will die!" Reclusiarch Grimaldus

"Those I cannot crush with words I will crush with the Tanks of the Imperial Guard!" Lord Solar Macharius

"Hear Me Inquisitor Ordinary. Obey me. I am of the Malleus!" Inquisitor Jaq Draco

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    137 (x3)

This is true, the markerlights now can be destroyed.

I don't see how it changes anything though, the Skyray is still an awesome value for what it is. As always, just try not to let it get shot at too much.
    -Thread Killer Bryan
    Tyranid Hive Fleet Typhoeus
    T'au Empire, Bork'an Sept

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    211 (x6)

Seems like people using the Skyray and Piranha in their usual lists must be more careful about how they are to use them. The Skyray is an awesome piece of kit, just make sure that it's got the DP upgrade(as this toy is going to become the standard choice amongst the Multi-Tracker and Decoy Launchers).

It does state in the rules that, any weapon with a strength of less than 4 are counted as defensive weapons. Does this mean that our BC, SMS, GD secondary weapons option are counted as main weapons, due to their greater strength?

At least the XV8's and XV25's have got a nice and healthy boost .

-Kai-Itza-
    Last edited by Kai-Itza; October 2nd, 2008 at 18:46.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Castellan Green View Post
    I don't use any Skyray. But there is another reason not to I suppose.
    What are the other reasons?

Senior Member Spartan Command061's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

They take up a railgun slot and can be replaced and bettered (ML wise) by a group of pathfinders, who take up a seldom used slot (they compete with GD's and pirhana's). They're a tad more expensive but i don't think two markerlights justify a heavy slot, and the 6 seeker's disappear pretty quickly in a ML heavy army. I would take them if they weren't in the heavy support slot or had more missiles (for me justifying its competition with the hammerhead)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Command061 View Post
    They take up a railgun slot and can be replaced and bettered (ML wise) by a group of pathfinders, who take up a seldom used slot (they compete with GD's and pirhana's). They're a tad more expensive but i don't think two markerlights justify a heavy slot, and the 6 seeker's disappear pretty quickly in a ML heavy army. I would take them if they weren't in the heavy support slot or had more missiles (for me justifying its competition with the hammerhead)
    Well I really do not agree with any of the above.

(1) A Skyray can and does help to make Hammerheads a lot better, I take two and a Skyray and I pretty much use the ML's solely to help the HH's, they perform much better with +1BS (just try it). This leaves those Path finders to help other units. Two Hammerheads is enough for any list up to and including 2000pts especially if they have a better chance of hitting.

(2)It depends on how you use ML's as to whether you take the PF squad, with new rules the PF squad has effectively gone down to 96pts (if you use a FW Devil fish then you can lose it and use the PF DF), so taking a PF squad and a Skyray is very much not a cost issue. lets look at the Stealth squad option 200+pts for one ML Drone and six Pathfinders, for that you get one BS3ML and 6 Burst cannons. Hammerhead you get 6 Railgun shots or 6 sub shots and the odd BC or SMS shot. Now a Skyray for 160+pts you get two BS4 (TA) ML shots and 6 high strength, non LOS, no max range Seeker missiles (that’s exactly that same amount of shots as a HH). In a word 'no' the Skyray is not expensive for what it offers and does.

(3) Pathfinders are not better than a Skyray and neither are PF better than a Skyray. The SR offers mobile BS4 ML's (again TA equipped) that can target two separate units a turn and can add substantial offensive punch to an army. The PF are static and rely on units moving into LOS and range, they have more possible ML hits per turn and can only target two separate units with expensive upgrades. PF are useful but they are much more useful with other ML units in the list running interference and taking heat from them. Just try using a unit of PF on their own and see how long they last.

You need to look at the Skyray as more than the sum of its parts, it is not a full out tank and neither is it solely an ML platform; it is both and as a combo it does immensely well. As far as the ML's being vulnerable, well I spotted this early on and in the few games I have had it has not been a problem. It depends on the list and what the opponent perceives as a threat. Maybe GW's attention should be drawn to this previous non weapon status and hopefully a FAQ may sort it out. My opinion is it is ridiculous to class a non strength rated laser as a weapon.

+ Reply to Thread