Some help against space marines... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some help against space marines...

So I've played my friend, probably a dozen times against his Space Marines and have yet to win a game. It could be, that I suck... or something else. In any case, I thought I'd ask you all what the best strategy would be against them.

In a 1250 point game, I usually take:

1 Lord, viel + res orb

8 Immortals

12 warriors

12 warriors

3 Destroyers

1 Monolith

He'll usually have something along the lines of this:

1 Librarian in Terminator Armor + 3 Lightning claw and 2 Thunder hammer/storm shield termies (deep strikes 90% of the time)

3 regular termies with Storm Bolters and Power fist + 1 Terminator Sargent with power weapon + 1 Assualt cannon and power fist.

1 Venerable Dreadnaught with Assualt Cannon + close combat Dreadnaught arm.

9 Tactical Marines + Sergent, 1 Missile Launcher and 1 Plasma gun + Rhino

5 Scouts with Sniper Rifles

8 Devastators, 2 Plasma Cannons and 2 Heavy Bolters (I Believe)

1 Vindicator

I believe thats about all he uses.

My Biggest problems really are the Assualt Termies with the Librarian and the Vindicator. The Termies will usually wipe out one of my warrior squads on the first assualt. The Vindicator, will lots of warriors popping, althought I tend to keep them in Res Orb range.

If you guys have any suggestions on what I can do to possibly win, or just some new startegies to try, that'd be awesome. (I also should mention I do no have any Pariahs, Flayed ones, Wraiths, Heavy Destroyers, and Deciever. I do have some more warriors Scarabs, Tomb Spyder, and NightBringer)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

The Allmighty Chaos Boots Process's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x3)

9 termies at 1250 vs crons is evil and hard to beat. good news is its not such an awful lot of wounds and as soon as they are gone you have won.

I would suggest teleporting your troops around alot with the lord and monolith and just wither them down. The monolith is also indestructible the termies will never catch up with it and they are the only ones that have the clout to hurt it. So you should be able to turn your loosing streak to a winning streak by doing these simple things.

A do not stand where the devastators can shoot you. Ever ever ever. as long as theya re moving theya re worthless.
    B hop around the board like a mad person with teleporting lord and monolith so that your warriors never get stuck in cc with the termies. Bait Bait Bait.
    C use the rest of your army to focus on his termies except your destroyers that should be able to one shot the devastator.
    D win. over and over again until that dirty loaylist starts playing world of warcraft.
    What is Aurora Prime?
    "behold, I am the flamer, the searing one, the combustion of all spontanious flash fires, I am process" BIG RED BUTTON!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Process said is good advice. If it doesn't work however, I have some other advice, just incase.

If you can't teleport around enough to avoid all the anti-necron things he's been taking, then drop both the lord and the monolith, and take the Nightbringer and an additional squad of warriors. The Nightbringer should be able to take on the terminators with a little supporting firepower. And whatever you do, if you see terminators, get everything at least 12" away from them. Your warriors may not get to shoot that turn, but your immortals and destroyers will, and keeping the warriors alive is perhaps the most important thing.

Other than that, I would suggest challenging him to an objectives match - with only have 15 models counting for scoring, it shouldn't be too hard to wipe them all off the map and making him unable to win the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Friar Tuck View Post
    Other than that, I would suggest challenging him to an objectives match - with only have 15 models counting for scoring, it shouldn't be too hard to wipe them all off the map and making him unable to win the game.
    Not necessarily, due to the wonderful "Phase Out" rule he could still lose even if he does kill all the SM scoring units, just kill the rest of the necrons until only 9 are left and wooops, game over.

In this situation I would be tempted to try a different list, as it stands I'm looking at the fact that you only have one squad of Destroyers, that's just asking for trouble when it comes to concentrated fire wiping them out with no chance for WBB. However to take two squads of 3 Destroyers you would have to drop the Monolith, which is of course really useful for getting stuff out of CC. That would be quite a risk, to the point where I could be tempted to not take Destroyers (gasp!) and take 2 Heavy Destroyers instead (2x 1 squads) and keep the Monolith, using the spare points on more warriors and/or scarabs.

However, to take out this kind of army you will need guns, lots of guns. The Mono is useful, but it doesn't pack enough shots for my liking. I would still say drop it, take 3 more Destroyers and 2 more Immortals, drop 2 Warriors and take 6 scarabs. That's about 1248 points, with it you will have 18 gauss cannon shots a turn with improved WBB if you keep them together and beyond 24" of the Vindicator, 20 Gauss Blaster shots from the Flying Circus if you veil them around with the Lord, 44 rapid fire gauss rifle shots on anything that gets close to the warriors and 18 scarab attacks (24 on charge) with 18 wounds to tie up anything that is a problem (i.e. devastators).

Then it'd be a case of keeping the warriors out of sight of any long range guns, turbo-boosting the scarabs towards the devastators/scouts (+2 cover save on turbo helps nicely), playing keep away with the Destoryers, using the Flying Circus to pop the rear armour of the Vindicator and then strike anywhere on the board you like to harass and weaken.
    Of course you could so something similar with what you've already got, just keep the monolith back with the warriors and be extra careful with the Destroyers. Just remember to try and concentrate fire on each element of his army, not much can survive an avalanche of dice, especially gauss dice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm rather new to the game, so take my advice with a grain of salt. But you might want to look into working some tomb spyders into your list. They'll eat MEQ units, and would make a nice counter-assault unit against termies and deep-striked units. They might not always win, but with a few scarabs they'll last long enough to make a dent and keep your warriors alive at the very least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

Unfortunately Argo, as much as I love tomb-spyders terminators eat them alive. They are pretty astounding at killing the other marines though.

Your friend's list seems to have you out-ranged for the most part, and is really anti-Necron. I suggest dropping to squads of ten and getting another pack of Necron warriors.

I think your best bet is to out-range your opponent as much as you can, get more destroyers and get heavy destroyers, drop the Immortals but not the VoD. Unfortunately if you really want to beat a list like that, you'll have to use a tournament-style list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x5)

Drop the monolith and the lord for a Deceiver or Nightbring (most people prefer the Deceiver) Use him to counter assault his terminators and his other marines.

Second of all drop those warrior squads down to 10 and bring the destroyer squad up to a unit of 4. Then get 2 units of 1 heavy destroyers. Drop the immortals down to a unit of 5 or so for some fire support (as much as I love immortals this army will destroy them with they're range.

This is look like.....

1 Deceiver

5 Immortals

10 Warriors

10 Warriors

3 Destroyers

3 Destroyers

1 Heavy Destroyer

1 Heavy Destroyer

Now basically he has very little range in his army so keep all of the heavy destroyers and destroyers back and pick off his tanks and if hes smart he'll use those snipers to shoot at the C'tan, use the immortals or destroyers to take them out as soon as possible.

From there if he teleports his terminators keep your C'tan close to your fire base and infantry and counter assault them after they deep strike.

My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

Like some others above I would consider using Nightbringer in your army as an effective anti-Terminator machine. As he negates both regular and invulnerable saves, he should easily be able to take down your friend's Librarian and retinue. He might go down in the process, but at least he'll go out with a bang. Make sure you get the charge though!

Drop the Immortals and pick up more Warriors. Reduce the unit size to 10 and have at least 3 of those units. Use a Lord with Warscythe, Gaze of Flame and Res. Orb. Keep all your Warriors within 6" incase the Vindicator decides to drop a pie-plate. With a Warscythe and Gaze of Flame, the Librarian and Termies will think twice about assaulting him.

Personally, I don't think Destroyers are going to work for you in this list. The S5 AP4 guns are only going to be effective against the scouts. That's a lot of points for a very vulnerable anti-scout unit.

A better choice I think would be Scarabs. Two medium-to-large sized scarab swarms (around 7), turbo boost towards the scouts and the devestators in the first turn. Hope that enough survive to assault the next turn. Then those two are effectively held up for a few turns. The scouts are really only a threat because they could take Nightbringer out before he does any real use.
    Last edited by Ravendove; October 7th, 2008 at 20:40.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

uses scarabs to tie up snipers turbo boosting towardas them uses deciver to move up and kill troop choices teleport necrons around the feild dodging terminators uses deciver to kill devestators dont forget to misdirect out of terminator if they charge him then last turn take objectives.or tell your friend not to uses such a necron anti list!!!

+ Reply to Thread