Seeker missiles - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Seeker missiles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seeker missiles

I just started playing Tau after 5th ed and was wondering how seeker missiles fully work and what makes them so good.Do they ignore cover saves? or is the TLOS is if they are fired from the ML or the Host. unlimited range is nice but a railgun is pretty much going to hit anything as well since its 72".Plus having to pay per missile shot seems a bit high is their something i am missing on what makes them so good? Please help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

IMHO, seeker missiles are a bit too expensive for what you get. They're just more accurate hunter-killer missiles, and those are always too expensive, too! One-shot weapons just shouldn't be that pricey, especially considering the expensive infrastructure you are required to pay for first (i.e., markerlights).

That said, I am geeked out at the fluff concept behind them. Light up a unit, seekers away! Very cool idea. Since I regularly load up my list with markerlights (14 at 2000 pts, for example), I often toy with the idea of loading a few seekers onto my vehicles, especially if I'm going without the skyray. Piranhas are actually great choices for this, as you can boost them down a flank, light up a tank, and get side if not rear armour hits with the seekers.

However, I rarely seem to find the points for it, and find the skyray so useful as it is that I nearly always let that vehicle carry all the seekers in my lists. The skyray would be useful even without the seekers, but as a total package, the skyray is hard to beat for points efficiency and effectiveness in terms of getting good markerlights (BS 4 at two targets!), mobility, durability, and seekers. It's a bargain, and if you're interested in seekers at all, you really need to give the skyray a chance.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you're interested in seekers, I would normally just stick with the skyray as the carrier of them and not bother purchasing them on other platforms. The effectiveness of a massive "first strike" seeker list is not as great as it was in 3rd/4th editions because of rules changes in the game. To do it effectively would require such a large investment that you would inevitably be shorting yourself in other necessary departments. (How would a first strike help you against Orks, for example? Even footslogging, they are tough as nails.)
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    137 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Theshadowfang View Post
    I just started playing Tau after 5th ed and was wondering how seeker missiles fully work and what makes them so good.Do they ignore cover saves? or is the TLOS is if they are fired from the ML or the Host. unlimited range is nice but a railgun is pretty much going to hit anything as well since its 72".Plus having to pay per missile shot seems a bit high is their something i am missing on what makes them so good? Please help.
    Who told you they were so good? Because they lied, sort of.

Now... Seekers aren't bad, per se, either. However, the only way I would take them is on a Skyray because the skyray has alot more to offer than just its six seeker missiles - namely two independent markerlights and a smart missile system (or burst cannons if you don't upgrade).

Now, to answer your rules questions... the seeker hit comes from the direction of the source of the seeker (not the source of the markerlight). They do not ignore cover saves, including cover between the seeker missile source and the target. The only advantage they have is that they can still hit a target even if the seeker missile source does not have line of sight to the target, and they can be fired off regardless of whether or not the source of the seeker missile can fire its own weapons (for instance, if the Skyray is shaken and stunned, a seeker can still be fired from it by expending the markerlight "hit token" from the target unit). However, the markerlight whose "hit token" you need to fire the seeker does need line of sight, so not needing line of sight from the source of the seeker is not a terribly big advantage for the seeker.

I would suggest not bothering with seekers as vehicle upgrades, and as number6 said, if you like the idea of seekers the Skyray is an awesome choice, but only if you are already taking enough markerlights. It doesn't make sense to take markerlights just to fire the seeker missiles.
    Last edited by ZenGamer; October 13th, 2008 at 18:44.
    -Thread Killer Bryan
    Tyranid Hive Fleet Typhoeus
    T'au Empire, Bork'an Sept

+ Reply to Thread