Tyranids or Orks? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tyranids or Orks?

hi, im thinking of starting a second army up and i have decided that i would most likely get orks or tyranids. So, if anyone can tell me the good and bad things about orks, or tyranids if you play both, that would be much appreciated. I've posted this in the Orks forum too, just so its not biased.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

This really is a personal choise, so I wont tell you to take nids. I'll just give you a small summary of the nids pros and cons.

Pros:
    -Fluffwise, they're just awsom
    -Awsom moddels
    -Easy to play
    -Many different possible army builds

Cons:
    -expencive (either lots of small moddels or just a couple of big expencive moddels)
    -cant think of any other cons
    A tear is only water, and a sigh is only air.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    183 (x3)

Building on what Levitian said (which by the way, was spot on), as for Painting and Converting, both armies are good. Orks are less fun to paint, because mostly they are locked into certain colors, but if you love to convert and model they are great! Every vehicle they have can be converted from anything else, and anything can be looted, even Carnifexes.

Tyranids can be expensive, especially if you go for a swarm army, but a Nidzilla army is surprisingly cheap. I have just about 1500 points of nids and I have spent less than $200 on the models themselves because I primarily use Carnifexes and Tyrants.

Tyranids basically represent FREEDOM in painting! You can really stretch your painters legs as far as color choice, good highlighting, and different inks for Tyranids, as your choices for colors arent limited or constrained as much as other armies. They are very easy to paint, as usually two or three colors and a wash/ink will give you great highlighting and detail due to all the recesses and such that Tyranids have.

Honestly I am a bit biased towards Tyranids, but its your choice either way, good luck!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

You will find with Tyranids that you don't have to paint banners and symbols onto your models. Tyranids don't have any of these things. If you think this is good or bad and if you want to paint all those markings and banners is up to you. Personally I like not having to paint them all the time. Though Tyranids can have marking such as stripes and various spots. You also will not have to deal with metal colours on Tyranids as they don't use them. I think in converting you will get a fair amount out of both armies when it comes to big models. Tyranids have an edge in they can have smaller units converted with whatever odd things you want, stingy tails etc.

Tyranid Warrior Fanatic Phalanx's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x7)

Also another interesting part is nids have probably had the most fan input of all the armies. A good chunk of the 3rd ed nid book fluff was written by a nid player named Sherman Bishop and a couple of the new hive fleets in the 5th ed core rulebook were created by some nid players at Warp Shadow (or at least thats the general belief). I don't recall anything like that for the other races.

Other than that, Carnifexes and Nid warriors both look awesome. Buy lots of them. Greatest models ever.
    40K armies: Tyranids (2001), Space Wolves (2008), Sisters of Battle (2011)
    Current Rep: 1337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the help, keep it coming if you can!
    i think i'm getting drawn towards 'nids more than the orks, but the price was making me apprehensive, but then i looked on the GW website and found that the prices wearn't too different.

so atm i'm leaning towards 'nids!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BIO Morphs ..

There are so many different ways you can effectivly run your army ... the possibilities are endless

Plus They just look better then the orks
    Sisters Of Battle "Order of the Holy Flame"
    Nids "Splinter Fleet Bestia"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

183 (x3)

If you are too worried about cost, you can always save by using Hormagaunt bodies as normal Gaunts, and vice versa. That way you get 16 of what you want in a box rather than 8, effectively halving the cost.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Even more important is to decide what kind of nids you want to play. If you start off wrong, you will either have to buy new moddels (very expencive) or tear your moddels to peaces and start all over again.
    So: make up your mind before you start!
    A tear is only water, and a sigh is only air.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

183 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by levitian View Post
    Even more important is to decide what kind of nids you want to play. If you start off wrong, you will either have to buy new moddels (very expencive) or tear your moddels to peaces and start all over again.
    So: make up your mind before you start!
    To avoid this I suggest you just buy a Battleforce and a Hive Tyrant to begin with, then run a few games with just that and see what part of that you like. From there you can decide if you like Stealers, Nidzilla, Swarm, whatever. Its what I did and I haven't had to take apart anything yet.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. October 13th, 2008, 15:46