Stripping of the paint - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stripping of the paint

hi erveryone

i am new too this hobby an want to start a Dark Eldar force but i am a bit short on money so i wanted to buy the models on ebay
    the problem is they are already painted ;/
    so i read the guide to strip of paint and they told me to buy "simpel green"
    the problem is i cant find it in any shop in germany other than online stores
    so do you guys know any other approved method to strip of the paint?
    if you don t, i just will go and buy it online but maybe there is an other way

thanks in advance
    sincerely yours

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by tarnschaf View Post
    hi erveryone

i am new too this hobby an want to start a Dark Eldar force but i am a bit short on money so i wanted to buy the models on ebay
    the problem is they are already painted ;/
    so i read the guide to strip of paint and they told me to buy "simpel green"
    the problem is i cant find it in any shop in germany other than online stores
    so do you guys know any other approved method to strip of the paint?
    if you don t, i just will go and buy it online but maybe there is an other way

thanks in advance
    sincerely yours
    Honestly, if it’s plastic I wouldn’t attempt it due to the fact that ANY type of paint removal, mechanical or chemical will mean massive loss of detail.
    ‘Simple Green’ has had some good press but the acrylic paints’ formula is too close the styrene used in the model for my tastes

But if it’s metal then it’s all good and you can use normal paint stripper till the cows come home!

Try the ‘General Hobby Talk – Painting - Painting Forum Guide & Useful Threads - Threads of Note - Stripping Miniatures’ forum for any extra advice.

Or just click on this link http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...stripping.html

Cheers.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ah ok i think i get it
    the high reactivity of polystyrol is the problem so anything that would strip of the paint would "melt" my model
    thanks for the reply wickywacky1 you are one of a kind who always replys and thanks for the link i will look over it
    sincerely yours

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    542 (x8)

I wrote this a while ago. I hope it helps you out in your attempt to strip your Dark Eldar.

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...aint-them.html

Tekore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stripping paint

I just took two heavily painted Dreads from a SMurfs army, painted with some oil based stuff. Thick and nasty like, to the point half the detail was gone. With that in mind I figured I'd give the Simple Green a try, what's could go wrong, right?

Well, after 12 hours or so of soaking the paint mostly washed away. No damage done to the plastic as far as I can tell. Took to it with a toothbrush and got 90% of the paint and primer off it.

So I've had excellent luck with it. But again, use at your own caution.

Crestfallen32-LO

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

I agree that 90% of the paint will be removed but the 10% remaining will be in the detail thus flattening the look of the model.

Attempting to regain the detailed areas is the problem here and the effort involved usually means that its easier to just undercoat again and the apply a new top coat.

Whenever I have tried to ‘fully’ strip plastic models it involves at least two applications of whatever chemical you choose and even then a mechanical method is still needed to clear out the paint from all the crevices. It’s here that you begin to realize the damage being done to the model by trying to remove the GW primer may not be worth it.

GW primer etches into a plastic surface and mechanically bonds to it, so to remove it you ‘will’ remove detail.

In short chemical removal systems will break down the chemical bond of paints, only a mechanical removal system will break down a mechanical bond and if you have a model that is primed properly you will need to visit both methods to entirely remove all the paint.

But I haven’t tried all this for years and have never used ‘Simple Green’ before so the best advice is to use a test piece firstly to determine what works best for you.

Cheers.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for your replys

i have bought some nail polisher without dimethylketone and tried it but it didnt work at all on my sampel maybe i should let it "soak" a bit longer and give it some work with a toothbrush as you suggested

the problem with the plastik models i bought is that they are heavily painted and giving it a new prim would destroy all of the details left... :/

sincerely yours

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ha i gave it another try and it worked wonderful
    and the toothbrush does the rest
    only nailpolisher is quite expensiv 125ml for 1.5€
    well it can t be helped
    now i will let it "soak" a bit longer to see how it affects the model cause alcohol is in the list styrene reacts with we will see

sincerely yours

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well its no good i let it soak for 15 min
    an all the paint is off even the prim but it got soft and some details were removed and it looks like it spend too much time in a genlab but at it is a tyranid it does not matter
    but for my dark eldar it is no good

i will test some more and maybe i find the point there the paint is stripped off but the model is still intact

+ Reply to Thread