What would you do with 200 Dollars - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What would you do with 200 Dollars

Alright with christmas approaching (yes I know I still have two months D: ) I am already looking for what I want to get, and Tau seems to draw my attention. So setting yourself on a two hundred dollar budget (160~ euros?) I want to see people would buy to start off a new Tau list of their choice.

What I currently have my eye on...
    -Tau Battle Force (Great deal, I really had to think about if I just wanted to get 2 battle forces and then 20 dollars into something else)
    -Fire Warrior Squad (Love the models, and I think its always good to have lots of core)
    -Skyray (I for some reason really like this model and the idea of it)

this leaves me 35 bucks, and I really can't decide what I want! I don't know if the crisis suit in the battle force is able to fill the HQ choice. I think it is but I am not positive. If it is, then my last choice is gonna have to be...

-3 pathfinders with railguns and the Shas'Ui (I think these guys are supposed to be good, and I would have to upgrade my devilfish into a warfish for these guys.)

Would love input on my choices, but I really want to see what other people would do.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x6)

Well personally if I had 200$ I'd wait until I got another 100$ and then I'd go get myself a beginner tattoo set... if it had to be GW I'd spend it on some Wood Elves stuff to further that army, but since it has to be tau. Get yourself some solid troop choices, a good HQ and whatever else you want to put into your list, its your list that your building not ours. Personally 2 boxes of fire warriors, a broadside, HQ, stealth suits one box, and another 2 crisis suits and that'd be roughly 750pts, but then it all depends on what you want or already have.
    Legion Of Everblight: Abyslonia
    Protectorate of Menoth: Grand Exemplar Kreoss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Battleforce $90
    1 Crisis Suit Commander $30
    1 Hammerhead $40
    Fill in the rest with kroot/firewarriors/crisis suits.

Green Tide: 4000pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    137 (x3)

Battleforce - $75
    Battleforce - $75
    Skyray - $35
    Battlesuit Commander - $22

(prices listed are 15% off USD prices which should be easy to find from certain retailers)

The two battleforces give you an excellent start to a great army - you will probably use everything in those two sets (unless you don't like Kroot. You should like Kroot though because they are awesome).

With the Skyray you get all the parts for a Hammerhead plus the skyray turret (unless GW has since changed this). You build the hammerhead and put the skyray turret on a devilfish, and now you have both plus the other devilfish for use as a transport (and you can convert two gun drones to make either the two burst cannons or the smart missile system, as desired. You will have enough bits for either conversion).

The commander suit comes with the commander head, bodyguard head and special issue weapons, but if you don't want to use any of these you could also just use a regular suit and modify the head a little bit and call him a commander.

Once you have some more $$$, the next thing to buy could perhaps be 6-12 Kroot hounds depending on how you want to use the Kroot. Hounds aren't too expensive and are very easy to assemble, and they make the Kroot into fantastic assault shock troops or anti-assault (counter assault) units. Hounds own if you want to use Kroot as CC troops. If you just use Kroot to shoot though, then you don't want hounds and should instead buy more crisis suits.

After that some Pathfinders (normal, not rail rifle). Pathfinders are a great addition to an army, but it is more important to start with a good solid core first.
    Last edited by ZenGamer; October 27th, 2008 at 16:55.
    -Thread Killer Bryan
    Tyranid Hive Fleet Typhoeus
    T'au Empire, Bork'an Sept

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x6)

With the Skyray you get all the parts for a Hammerhead plus the skyray turret (unless GW has since changed this). You build the hammerhead and put the skyray turret on a devilfish, and now you have both plus the other devilfish for use as a transport (and you can convert two gun drones to make either the two burst cannons or the smart missile system, as desired. You will have enough bits for either conversion).
    They haven't changed it. The only hard thing with doing the conversion is you have to put something where the burst cannon would normally go in the middle of the second tank. And I'm still trying to find something to stick under the second turret so it doesn't fall off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    137 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Pathofskulls View Post
    They haven't changed it. The only hard thing with doing the conversion is you have to put something where the burst cannon would normally go in the middle of the second tank. And I'm still trying to find something to stick under the second turret so it doesn't fall off.
    I would have to double check, but I would think that having two drone bodies glued bottom to bottom would make an appropriate targeting array for the center front of the devilfish, and it very well might fit there.

As for the turrets - I magnetized all of mine so I don't have that problem, but you are right that you would have to figure out how to mount the skyray turret on the devilfish.

Point though is that none of that is impossible. The Hammerhead and Devilfish chassis are the same, and everything else can be modified with a little ingenuity. Personally, I love doing minor conversions - modeling is my favorite part of the hobby and painting is my least favorite part.
    -Thread Killer Bryan
    Tyranid Hive Fleet Typhoeus
    T'au Empire, Bork'an Sept

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x6)

I would have to double check, but I would think that having two drone bodies glued bottom to bottom would make an appropriate targeting array for the center front of the devilfish, and it very well might fit there.

As for the turrets - I magnetized all of mine so I don't have that problem, but you are right that you would have to figure out how to mount the skyray turret on the devilfish.

Point though is that none of that is impossible. The Hammerhead and Devilfish chassis are the same, and everything else can be modified with a little ingenuity. Personally, I love doing minor conversions - modeling is my favorite part of the hobby and painting is my least favorite part.
    I'll try that idea with the drone bodies, I should have enough of them that I can. As for the turrets, I originally bought my skyray for the skyray and was just going to run 2 devilfish, but after a while I thought about it, decided I'd try out a Ionhead and now I'm just going to take pressure off of my broadside and tweaked the list yet again to fit in the rail gun on the thing. Personally cause I had to make burst cannons cause my Skyray got the SMS, I took the tops of two drones/or the bodies, filed down the bottoms a bit, broke the spikes off of 2 multitrackers, shaved down that little notch for attaching them to suits, glued the flat side to the bottom of the drone, and then filed away at the front angled side of the multitracker until it fit into the burst cannons angled side. The thing doesn't tilt at all but it still looks good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the input guys. So I think I will have to go with the two battle force sets and the sky ray. I will try my hand at converting one of the devilfish, it should be a pretty fun challenge. I originally wanted to go with the rail guns because I thought that they were better, but I guess not!

I am excited though that kroot and hounds are actually useful (I thought for some reason that people didn't like them.) Too bad that people don't seem to like the krootox though, because they are pretty awesome models.

Also thats pretty cool about the tattoo kit, I am just curious about how you practice giving tattoo's to get better at it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x6)

Also thats pretty cool about the tattoo kit, I am just curious about how you practice giving tattoo's to get better at it.
    I'm looking at it as a career choice, the kit comes with a practice skin, and if I chose I could buy more practice skins.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Practice skin, that sounds pretty dang awesome. And you should probably be good at doing that kind of stuff if you like to paint warhammer. I would hope at least!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast