Librarium Online Forums banner

Trouble taking out defilers

835 views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Deris87 
#1 ·
lately i've been haviing a LOT of toruble with defilers, i played a game the other day and in 3 shooting phases of firing 6 lances and 6 disintagrators at 1 defiler, i didn't do shit! also i played a game at gw where it took me 13 lance shots to drop one!

i was wondering if anyone else has had any luck with them in the past, and if so, what is they best way to take one out? all i can think of is combined lance fire. haywire grenades mite work, but they are expencive and involve getting into combat, which is NOT what i want to do! hence taking it out before moving into assault!

#2 ·
It's definitely not worth getting into CC for haywires, as you need a 6 to hit a walker with grenades. The lances are probably your best way to go, but how did so many shots fail to do anything to it? Was it lots of misses, or just bad rolls on the vehicle damage chart?

On a side note, how do poisoned weapons work against vehicles (I mean they work against Wraithlords/Talos)? Would an agonizer work or would it just be S3 + D6?

#3 ·
Poison Blades have no affect on anything with an armor value, while agonizers glance on a 6.

And Alphatwitch sometimes it just happens that way, this weekend at a tournament I had 21 lances and blasters unable to destroy a single transport in 5 turns! Sometimes the dice just hate you. But at the same time the previous game I blew up 2 land raiders in the openeing shooting phase and the remaining 4 vehicles by turn 3. Thats why we role the dice...

#4 ·
My last game was against chaos and I was able to immobilize it on the 1st turn but thowing 4 or 5 lance shots at it afterwards (it was a kill point game) proved futile, I just couldn't get the right die roll to make it die. I did end up stripping it of its ranged weapons but the thing had to die so I ended up throwing a Talos at it to keep it get an easy pen' but even then I "whiffed" the die roll.

I do not recommend throwing a Talos at it, lances are the way to go but I too have that lousy luck of die rolling - such is our plight.

#5 ·
Sounds like bad luck as opposed to anything you are doing wrong. Anytime Ive used a defiler it normally got destroyed by my opponents models sneezing nearby. Seriously though keeping a defiler alive is very difficult-its sheer size means it cant be hidden very well and its more often than not opponents priority target because of its lovely main weapon.
Avoid combat with it.

Just fire your heavy weapons at and it will fall. Weird things like that happen sometimes.

#6 ·
lol, yeah i guess it all just came down to bad luck in the end! once tactic i have been thinking of using is swaping the splinter cannons on my raider squads for dark lances. turbo boos/move on turn 1 behind some soled terrain, leaving just enough of the rader expsoded to count as obscuerd, then on turn 2 don't move at at all and fire 2 lances from each raider squad (usualy about 3-4 in a 1500pt game). i don't tend to use my cannons all that much, cept on the charge, so i think this way i can get some more flexability out of my units! and if i need something to help take on hords, i'm thinking of upgrating the blasters to shredders

#7 ·
It's my experience that vehicles have become noticeably harder to put down in 5th ed than they were in 4th ed, since a glance can't destroy one any more, and a penetrating hit kills 1/3 rather than 1/2.

Of course, my dice rolling has also been erratic to bad of late... Damn dice ninjas.

#8 ·
sounds like dice to me. but don't worry your not the least lucky person, that goes to my friend who got assulted by a Sentinal. armor 10, so needed a 6 to get a glance, rolled 74 dice before he got a glance on the wound part (some of those were from shooting at the same sentinal before CC) 74 dice had to be rolled before he got 1 six for the to wound (rolled a 1 on the following dmg table :p)

#9 ·
Perhaps the original post should have been entitled “lately I've been having a LOT of trouble with Dark Lances”, but as others have said, your methodology is correct.

I suppose this is a lesson to heed in having sufficient anti-armour firepower for the job at hand!

But I must admit that 18 S8 AP2 and 18 S7 AP2 shots by the law of averages should have done something!

We can put this one down to bad luck more than bad tactics.

Cheers.

#10 ·
dude, nothing's worse than a ninja. there masters of various styles of combat.......

lol

acculy my luck has been a bit wierd lately! my tooled up dracon who single handedly(well maby agoniser!) took out abaddon, got slaugherd by a ****ing zoanthrope of all thing in close combat!!!! failed to kill it in the first round, which resulted in me failing my shaddow field, then next turn, i did nothing again and failed 2 5+ saves!

#12 ·
I know what you mean, those DLs have been fickle with me recently too. The only ones that have performed with ANY success recently were those on my scourges- these guys seem to be the only ones who know what the "sight" is for! Everything else had to rely upon the blasters, at least they could penetrate those darned rhinos. Just don't even get me started on the LR!

#13 ·
My bright lances on my eldar do the same thing for me (and they're waaaay more expensive!) I once spent three rounds shooting my twin-linked BL at an ork looted wagon-- the result? One stunned status. Two rounds of missing on my twin-linked BL :freaked-out: Normally my BLs hit okay, but the I totally flub my penetration roll. They so rarely actually destroy anything, though my best lance moment was a turn one blow up of a very cocky deathwing players landraider :-D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.